fuel pump for clipper TB's

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by DGT, Apr 6, 2009.

1. DGT

DGT Forum Member

im fitting an ABF to my clipper at the mo. it was carbed originally as most know, im going for TB's with 300cc injectors

ive gone for a facet red top pump. if i need a lift pump where should i look, and will i need bigger fuel lines?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

later cabby and scirocco lifter pump is what you want, bag all the accumulator tank and gubbins as well to help prevent fuel starvation. what ignition system are you going to use, you need something to control the fuel pumps properly as well

3. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Or try this

Get a low pressure pump feeding swirle pot than your facet taking fuel from swirl pot

Return from fuel rail into swirl pot, from swirl pot back to tank

Job done

4. rubjonny

which is exactly what the lift pump and housing does...

5. DGT

DGT Forum Member

the cabbys a 92 vintage so i suppose it should have the lifter then?
    im going to be running either DTA or MS

cheers

6. rubjonny

yeah it will have the lifter at that age, but only if its an injection model though. if you're going ms/dta they should be able to control the pump(s) no bother :)

7. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I knew what you ment Jonny, not saying it wont work

Just giving an alternative if present hardware in car wont be up for the job

From personal experience its best starting fresh when it comes to fueling

He allready has Facet pump

Another low pressure pump and swirl pot can be had for under 100

Well worth it imho

8. DGT

DGT Forum Member

'twas a clipper with the pierburg carb.

so a low pressure pump at the tank should do the job..can you recommend any?

ta:)

9. rubjonny

can get a rocco/cab OEM lifter pump for much less than that, and if you really must have brand new they aint expensive either:
    18389 FUEL PUMP-IN TANK SC 1.8 8v F.Inj 9/84 > 21.50

10. DGT

DGT Forum Member

thankyou :thumbup:

11. rubjonny

just to add you still need the actual lifter pump assembly etc if you go for the gsf item, that price is just for the actual pumpy bit of it :)

12. DGT

DGT Forum Member

pump comes bare from gsf,just with a strainer. im wondering how this fits in the tank as ive never seen a gti tank close up ?:)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  13. rubjonny

basically uyou have like a plastic upper half with the level sensor and float on it, plus a bracket on the end that the pump clips into. this all drops into the top of the tank
    If you look under the rear seat there is a round disc, take this off and you'll see the level sender under there, take this out and replace with the injection lifter pump assembly :)

14. DGT

DGT Forum Member

gotcha. cheers

15. murph81 Forum Member

Is the accumulator still needed when running itb's and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?

16. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

I'm also interested in this....so do I understand correctly that you can just remove the std level sensor out of say a '83 Mk1 GTI and replace with a lift pump housing and lift pump and then run the high pressure pump off of where?

I know how to do it the way Sambo suggested but am curious if the other way may be neater......

17. rubjonny

the accumulator is only for k-jet injection so it can be binned on efi/carbs/tbs. the fuel reservoir on the later setups should be left on there though as it prevents fuel starvation on cornering. so for carbs remove the main pump and accumulator then fit a facet or whatever in its place. for efi systems you can leave the k-jet pump in place the fpr will take care of the excess pressure.

you can indeed drop a later cab/rocco lift pump and fuel reservoir into a gti tank, but theres no need because the gti tank already has an internal swirl pot and a take off on the bottom for whatever main pump you choose :thumbup:

if you have a carbed mk1 then the above is what you can do instead of changing the fuel tank when going fuel injection :)

18. murph81 Forum Member

Thanks, that makes things a whole lot easier!

19. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Cheers for the reply RJ,

However I have had fuel starvation on my std Mk1 GTI running K jet on track when running relatively low fuel levels and cornering hard which suggests that although the GTI tank has a built in feature it may not be up to the job for my purposes? I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

Cheers,

Tim

20. rubjonny

i never had any issues with my cab, though i never took it on the track just roundabouts enthusiastically :lol:

it may be the std unit isnt good enough for tracking or the swirl pot is breaking down iirc they have some kind of rubber flap or something to keep the fuel in place that can rot away. worst case fit some kind of reservoir and a lifter, though you might struggle to get it under there with all the other k-jet gubbins. the later cab/rocco have a smaller accumulator that is mounted next to the tank, and the reservoir is where the accumulator used to be.

All G40 shape polos have the lift pump and reservoir too, even the pov spec spi ones :thumbup:

Last edited: May 17, 2012