autodata porsche 928 stuff

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Matt82, May 20, 2009.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

hi there

does anyone have access here to autodata (or equivalent) and if so can you see if it has details about changing the cambelt on an M28:11 porsche 928. ive downloaded some workshop manuals but that engine code in the USA came with various differences.

it should be for a 16v lump on kjet.

thanks

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

16v in a 928???

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ja, v8. 2 valves per cylinder and its on kjet. later that year they went to lh jetronic

4. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

You're not considering what I think you are... are you...?

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

PM andyout, he's got a 928 and has autodata too.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

noooo that would be old hat. it was done years ago, this is just a normal 928 with its normal engine

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

What info you need?

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well a cambelt change is coming up. any info about procedure, marks, torque settings, maybe even info about ingition timing if you have it

also any info about vac pipes and how to set the CO properly, if you can

9. mark25 Forum Junkie

With most (water cooled) Porchces of that era you need a special tool to measure the cambelt tension to set it up. Later models came with an automatic tensioner, which may be a worthwhile upgrade, if possible, although IIRC it was recomended to check the tension with the tool anyway .

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

had the plugs out to test whether it still turned over smoothly. it was pretty damn tight. i syringed some engine oil down the spark plug holes, left it and tried later. after that it really eased up.

wired it up to the golf and got the compression tester out

4: 11.9BAR 172.6psi ____8: 12BAR 174psi
    3: 12.7BAR 184.2psi ____7: 11.9BAR 172.6
    2: 13BAR 188.5psi _____6: 11.85BAR 171.8psi
    1: 13.3BAR 192.9psi____5: 12.5BAR 181.3psi

the test was from stone cold, it hasnt run for many years. i compression tested it because there was a suspect head gasket.

bank 5-8 seems fine, im happy with that. bank 1-4 seems odd. cyls 1+2 are high. its only a 10:1 compression engine

whats your views?

secondly the metering head is seized. ive sprayed all sorts of stuff down there to hopefully free it

does anyone have a pic of the underside of a KR metering head? ive got to free that and change the cambelt before i go anywhere

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  11. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

just buy andy's, he's putting it on standalone

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

thats one thing in the list to do but depends if it actually does end up being used enough when finished. gonna pull mine apart a bit once the cambelt is done. swapping to a working metering head would be simple though

13. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I'm talking about a swap into a Golf... someone on Vortex tried it a couple of years back.

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

look familiar?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the engine bay is just full of wires and hoses. id like to tidy it all up. inlet manifold will have to come off at some point too to clean up some dirt down there

15. mark25 Forum Junkie

Cold compression tests mean nothing in my experience.

16. mark25 Forum Junkie

Which part is seized? You can't really use the air flap to move the relay shaft, it's too delecate. You probably need the fuel relay off the metering head to free the shaft. BUT, fuel circulation in the relay may help.

If the shaft's only solid with the fuel pump running, the fuel pressure regulator (also in the relay) might be seized putting full fuel pressure on the diaphram, making the shaft appear siezed solid.

The cast iron parts of the relay can rust, which may be your problem. Relay repair is a nightmare....

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the flap will move freely upwards but stops at the relay shaft and will not go any further.

it was solid before the ignition went on, but ive no idea if there was fuel in there. i need to get some diagrams of what goes on inside there for when i take it all off. im hoping its an easy fix or ill have to get a recon item or a secondhand one.

as for the compression, it came off the road in about 1993 because of a suspect head gasket failure. the oil and water ended up all mixed up, it had overheated too. the oil was changed, coolant flushed and that never came back but the car never saw the road again either.

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think you mentioned this motor a while back - been sat in an old guy's garage for years?

Megasquirt conversions on Kjet porsches generally get good results, because the factory settings are pretty 'safe' to allow for low octane fuel. Probably cheaper than a new metering head too!

Try Porsch-Apart if you need a replacement.

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

with regard to octane youre right. they did US market cars and then rest of the world, which included OZ so it seems they were set of pretty low octane.

i want to get it on the road cheapish and then if turns out to be used regularly then aim to MS it. if i can get the metering head from phatty's friend for cheapish then i can speak to toyotec to set that up which should make it a right laugh... he turns kjet abf mk2s into little monsters, this is over twice the size, it ought to go well

it is the one that sat about for years. various issues meant it never took off before, but now its time to go

cambelt first... coming to a cgti meet soon

20. lufbramatt Forum Member

928's are my favourite porka- cant wait to see this back on the road, timeless design and nice V8 burble [:D]

good luck with the project!

whats the rest of it like?