How do you make a good loom for aftermarket ECU's

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by altern8, Jul 16, 2009.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

Hey,

Just wondering how you go about making a loom for after market ecus, What type of wire and tools do you need?

Mike's looms look spot on

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=191774

Is there a standard for the colors, like the red/live etc

How do you know what lenght you need

Cheers
    Craig

2. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Lol cheers mate!

It's nice to use all standard wiring colours where possible but when your ordering 100m or 50m lenghts of cable the cost soon adds up.

It would probably be easier to build a loom up using a separate colour wire for each sensor and share a common wire for the signal ground. following vw colour codes loosely you could go for:

Brown (sensor signal gnd)
    Black (ignition+)
    Red (constant +)
    Blue (water temp)

etc etc....!

Vw wiring normally or does contain a coloured trace as well....but like I say buying all this wire will cost you a lot of money!

I've used all black wiring before in making up looms, if your doing one run at a time from ecu plug to sensor plug it doesn't matter.

Another option to consider is using cable that has individual numbered markings printed on the insulation of each cable core or you could use numbered collets but that starts to get fiddly!

I've been using 0.75mm wiring but you can go a lot lower for your sensors:thumbup: I wouldn't go lower than 0.50 inless you intend to be saving massive amounts of weight.

Hope this helps, it's only what I've been doing so not gospel! All good practice tho:)

You might find a few tips on the DTA forum..some helpfull guys on there.

http://dtaforum.psycode.com/viewtopic.php?t=1980

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  3. pigbladder Forum Addict

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  4. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

go for thinwall!

Site looks quite good not seen it before.

5. altern8 Forum Junkie

Cheers both, gives me something to look into

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Good site there. Maybe i could make up my own megasquirt loom with the price of those cables.

7. GarethMK2VR6

GarethMK2VR6 Forum Member

If you have access to the drawings of the loom you need to make you can make the loom much easier. You can then use an old worktop and draw out the shape of the loom putting nails in the ends, and on the corners of where the wire will travel. Tools are depenedant on the type of connectors and some can be very expensive and hard to get hold of. But if your ok with a soldering iron then you should be ok.

As for wire colors thats really up to you but what you do need to keep an eye on are the sizes as they can change from 0.25 mm in size. And the final touch is also up to you as there are lots of different types of tapes and conduits out there.

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Obtaining a loom from Rodney Sport (RS), used in MS projects is where I would start.
    At 10 Ft long you should have enough wire lenghts to cope with the input/outputs of most aftermarket ECUs. This is what I do then purchase loom covering and connectors separate.
    http://www.glensgarage.com/catalog/universal-wiring-harness-autosport-p-77.html
    Alternatively you can use a loom from DIY Autotune. Not as extensive as the RS job but can also work.
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirt-wiring-bundle-1239-long-p-101.html

9. altern8 Forum Junkie

That is spot on,Thanks Toyo.
    The ecu will be a dta e48 jobbie

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

No problem.
    The DTA will come with the ECU connector, so you can connect to the engine via the looms given in the note. Sensor pigtails or connectors can be obtained from the breakers, VW dealer, or Vehicle Wiring Products.

11. altern8 Forum Junkie

Cheers,I just checked out the postage and its about $40 I think it works out about 55 for the wires posted.

Is that cheap? Are there any UK distributers?

12. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

Be careful ordering from diyautotune. You may get stung for the import duty at the same time. Which is another 40 on top

13. altern8 Forum Junkie