2.0 litre block identifcation.....?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Ade88-16v, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Ade88-16v Paid Member Paid Member

Need some help here please guys........

My mk2 valver had already had a 2.0 litre conversion fitted when I bought her. I want to get her serviced ready for the winter and was wandering how to identify what block has been used so I can go about getting the right service parts,plugs,ht leads,oil filter etc.etc

The only thing I can pick up on is this label on the cam cover:

[​IMG]

Mk3 golf or passat 16v?? Any one?

[​IMG]

With the ABF being taller,this may possibly be why the strut brace has been removed?? Any help would be much appreciated. Just need to know so I can get the right parts.:thumbup:

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If the cover has not been swapped with another engine then that label is actually the engine code and id no

3. Ade88-16v Paid Member Paid Member

Any other way to identify what's been fitted block wise as not 100% sure that the cam cover is off the original engine it would have been originally fitted to .[:s]

4. neil kaye Forum Junkie

dont they all have the i.d here where mine says KR in yellow[​IMG][/IMG]

5. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

If its an ABF block then probably the easiest way to tell externally (if you cant read the code on the block as in the above post) is that on the ABF there is crank sensor sitting in the front of the block under the front engine mount. KR doesnt use this so its either been pluged with something else or the original, but redundant, crank sensor is still fitted albeit witth the wires to it trimed off.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dipstick is also an abf item, though again not 100% foolproof way of iding it. that + the camcover are good indications, but the crankl sensor will proove 99% its an abf lump (could be a late 2.0 8v bottom end with pistons and sprockets swapped :lol:)
    you want to check the actual engine code on zee block to be 100% sure, I found shining a torch across it from the side helped me read a really rusted engine code.

7. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

on the back of the block it will have a 2.0 on the right hand side just bellow the head, and on the front of the block were the above photo show the number stamped if it has a 25mm space above it its a ABF Tall block.

8. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Ooops forgot about those blocks [:$]

9. beetie

beetie Forum Member

surely the cam cover wouldn't fit on a 9A properly as it's smaller. so it's an ABF

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

thats a spot less engine bay very nice

11. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Seconded :)

12. Ade88-16v Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers for the input guys.:thumbup:

Will take a good look tomorrow and have a nosey.

By the way,the bay is far from spotless but thanks again on the comments, it did look like this up until recently tho..........:o

[​IMG]

13. Ade88-16v Paid Member Paid Member

Right I've had a quick look (by torch light):lol: and all I can see is a plate with 2 screws with the code 14C or 14G on it slightly off to the right of where Neil said in his photo but also on the left side front of the block is the number 94. Poss the year as this also ties in with the date on the camcover label. Cant see anything else.............

14. 60 fast New Member

everything pionts to it being an abf as evryone else as stated. my 10p worth is it has studs for rocker cover not bolts.. whats the sump made from??

15. neil kaye Forum Junkie

94 or 9A? as thats a 2.0L engine code for a coraddo,have another look

16. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

What preparation/finish did you clean the inlet manifold up with - is it sandblasted/painted?

Its the exact finish I'm after!

17. Ade88-16v Paid Member Paid Member

Sanded,used some kind of etch primer I had knocking about and sprayed in aluminium high temp paint,could do with another going over properly for a quality finish but got another 50mm inlet manifold to go on that I'm polishing up when I've got the time.:lol:

18. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

I have checked my 9a block...

It has 9A engraved on it (hard to see) instead of KR as shown in the pic above.

It has the following number on the block (just to the right of the water pump): 053103021G.

edit: for clarification the number is bottom left from the number in the pic above - so still on front of block.

R

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The design / VAG part no of the plastic cambelt cover will dictate small block (KR, 9A, 6A etc) / or tall block (ABF), since one won't fit the other.

20. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Looked at the photo's again and the rocker cover has studs so looks like it is an ABF 2.0L

Also the top of the dip stick is level lower down the inlet that indicates a tall block.