double stacked head gaskets. how much boost?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by gunit-84, Oct 5, 2009.

1. gunit-84 Forum Member

hi all im thinking of supercharging my 2.0l 16v (9a/kr) with an eaton M62 after reading some of the great threads about. just wondering what soert of boost can be run with the double stacked head gaskets (g60 ones i think) on a standard block and internals. i know the eaton runs about 10psi standard but 18/20 can be had with smaller pulleys. will they cope with this??

cheers Ash

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Boost does not equate to cylinder pressure. Excessive cylinder pressure and improperly torqued fasteners will blow any gasket.
    Who told you Eatons can run 18/20psi on a 2.0 16v?

3. Toyotec

4. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

mine runs about 5psi and thats enough...but I am on a single head gasket.

5. gunit-84 Forum Member

the boost was just just something i read somewhere, might have got it mixed up with a small engine cc. as for heat im going to run an intercooler to try and keep the temps down, use a s2 inlet manifold (chopped) and run megasquirt to control it all. was just after a genral idea of what can be run thro the double headgasket method. i know toyotec is running about 270 bhp? i dont think the charger will give me that much grunt anyway?

M7R any chance of some pictures of your bracket for the m62? need some ideas! wht power does it make on 5 psi?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  6. Toyotec

I run 300PS@6300rpm and around 270lbft of TQ at 5200rpm. My engine is turbocharged.

7. gunit-84 Forum Member

so the double head gasket should me more than capable of say 250bhp! just wasnt sure what people were running boost and power wise with this method. thanks

8. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Theres a lot more variables than, "A double stacked gasket being able to make xxxbhp" Or it will "take xxx psi boost"..

Toyotec car is a "product" of lots of time and development, not just a few bits thrown together and the boost wound

9. gunit-84 Forum Member

i understand theres more to it than just a few bits trown together, but toyotec must have had these sort of question when he first doubled up head gaskets? as usual im builing this engine on a buget and if i can get away with not having to change rods and pistons etc then it all helps:thumbup: