vag-com

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by laurielaeks, Nov 13, 2009.

1. laurielaeks Forum Member

Hi,
    Could someone shed some light on what lead i need and whats the best vagcom version to use with my golf?

its a 1995 mk3 golf gti 16v

i got a cheapo blue obd2 cable and vagcom 409.1? but this doesnt seem to be working with my car.

do i need to get a diferent cable because i think my cars obd1.

anyone help would be great thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thats all you need for a MK3, it'll work for all years.

does the software pick up the cable ok, and does the light on the cable come on when you plug it in?

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

The Rosstech website says that you should use version 311 with cheapo third-party interfaces.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

409.1 still works with the cheapo usb interfaces, thats what I use with mine ;)

5. laurielaeks Forum Member

yeah the light goes on and it picks up the cable and says its working good, just when i try to run a check it keeps trying to connect but just cant, confusing stuff lol

6. s1m0n Forum Member

When you say 'it's trying' what do you mean?

I have the cheapo flea bay blue one (and 2x2 converter) with 409.1 and mine would connect to the engine ECU (on 93 & 95 VR6 Corrado) but nothing else until I reduced the latency to 5ms (also, have you checked that the correct COM port is specified?)

7. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Hacked something up very quickly for you using bits and bobs I've collected from the web.

It should be enough to get you going.

If you're using XP & the cable which utilises the FTDI chip drivers then download the latest driver from here:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20600.exe

Unistall the existing driver using Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.
    It will be called something like 'Windows Driver Package FTDI CDM Driver package' with a date and drvier version appended.

Remove the cable from the PC/Laptop

Install the new drivers using the exe file.

Plug in the cable

It should automatically find the drivers for the cable and install them.

The next bit can be tricky; pairing VAG-Com to the Virtual Com port .

What I find generally works best is to disable the COM Port that you wish to use with VAG-Com (anyof the COM ports 1 to 4) and then the cable/drivers will grab that port and use it & there is usually no conflicts.

What I've also found is the cable can be very picky if you try and use it in another physical USB port. For example I have 1 hardwired USB port on my laptop and a plug-in PC card with 4 USB 2 ports. As I orginally plugged the cable into the hardwired port (post driver install) it only seems to work on this

Determine the correct "Port" setting

Plug the Vag-Com Cable into an available USB port on your computer.
    Now open the "Device Manager". Open the "Control Panel", click the "System" icon, in the "Hardware" tab Click "Device Manager".
    In the Console Tree, double click "Ports (COM & LPT)"
    Verify that the device "USB KKL Interface VCP" has its own COM Number that is not in use by another port. If you need to change it, double click the device, click the "Port Settings" tab, click "Advanced", then change the "COM Port Number".
    Make a note of the COM Port number for setting the Vag-Com software.

Testing the COM Port in the Vag-Com Software:

Plug the cable into the computer and into your vehicles socket. *Turn the ignition on (it will NOT detect the interface if the ignition is off!)
    Start the VAG-COM software.
    Click the [Options] button.
    In the "Select COM Port" box, select the "COM Port" that the device uses as displayed in the Device Manager. * The USB option is only available for Ross-Tech made USB Cables.
    Click the [Test] button.
    It should display "Interface Status: Found!".If this test is not successful check the following:

Other software or devices using USB ports or the same COM Port could be conflicting. To troubleshoot, Uninstall suspected software.
    It will not work on vehicles with the CAN-BUS System.
    The cable must be plugged into the vehicle with the ignition on.
    Try each COM Port from 1-4 in Windows Device Manager.
    Check that the driver is installed and configured as outlined above.
    Troubleshooting
    Solutions to the most common problems. For more detailed troubleshooting, see the User's Manual above.

First, make sure all directions above for installing driver files and configuring the COM Port where performed.
    Make sure your using software Version 311.2 or 409.1 from http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/archives.html (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/archives.html). Install "For the Twin-USB Interface"
    Make sure your using the item on a VW, Audi, Skoda or Seat vehicle.
    Service Pack 1 for Windows 2000 adversely affects VAG-COM's ability to do real-time and makes communications with some controllers unreliable. If using Windows 2000 with Service Pack 1, you should apply Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3.
    If when you try to connect to a control module, it won't connect or you get the error message "Can't Synch Baud Rate", go to the Options Screen and try setting the Start Baud to 9600. If 9600 doesn't work, also try 4800 and 1200. Turn the car's ignition OFF and back ON after each failed attempt to connect!
    Ross-tech does have some info and troubleshooting:
    Common Diagnostic Procedures: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/index.html (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/index.html)
    Other known issues: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/issues.html (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/issues.html)I think i forgot to select the right port:zx11:

I also found I had to tweak the Virtual COm Port settings to allow VAG-COM to talk to my ABF:

FTDI suggestions:

HI decided to call FTDI this afternoon and the guy there was massively helpful if walking me through the changes. He also advised another couple: In the "Advanced settings for [COM 1 (or other port that is selected)], under:

USB Transfer Sizes, change "Receive (Bytes)" to 64

BM Options, change "Latency Timer (msec)" to 3

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  8. s1m0n Forum Member

Were we a bit bored last night then....?

;)

9. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Whatever makes you suggest that?

:lol:

10. laurielaeks Forum Member

lol thanks for getting that information for me :)
    ill give it a go again when i get my laptop back from being fixed.

shoud the cheapo blue cable from ebay work fine then? whats a 2x2 connector? ive just got the blue cable and usb connection.

thanks again

11. s1m0n Forum Member

Well the cheapo usb lead worked for me (legit xp pro with service pack 3) I even used the USB drivers (and copy of 409.1) that came with it on the CD - All fine.

BUT (as previously mentioned) I needed to change the port to COM 1

This got me 'into' the VR ECU BUT I could not get anything else (kept getting error messages) until reducing the latency to 5ms, then all was good.

Forget I mentioned the 2x2 lead it's irrelevant as your car has the 16 pin OBD2 socket

If the light is flashing but it's not connecting I would think the problem is the COM port or a driver issue

If VAG COM is working but your getting an error message (while in VAGCOM) then I would suggest it's the latency setting (it was with mine, changing to 5ms 'fixed' it)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  12. Admin Guest

:thumbup:
    Mods please make this an FAQ or STICKY as it is the best explanation and has lots of info that is hard to find, worked for me and i was having lots of dificulties getting the cable drivers to install, this set of drivers installed straight away with no errors thrown up like the other drivers.

mucho thanks.

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I originally bought a cheapo blue cable and that also had trouble communicating via the 2x2 connector on my 94 corrado. All I could connect to was abs module. I then went back to the seller and he tested another two brand new blue cheapo cables on various laptops and versions of vagcom. In the end I paid a little extra and got a proper usb cable not one that mimics a com port and all is well now.