what crank

Discussion in '16-valve' started by deano mk2 2.016v, Dec 6, 2009.

1. deano mk2 2.016v New Member

hi everyone i got a abf lump that i ran the crank out of it just wondering wot other engines use the same crank as i dont wana spend loads on another lump just need the crank thanks

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

2e 2 litre 8v

3. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

9A Crank :thumbup:

92.8mm stroke

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

cheaper to buy a 2e though, although there's a few more engines you can get them out of, espeicially if you don't need the trigger wheel.

5. deano mk2 2.016v New Member

does the 9a crank have the threads to bolt the trigger wheel to it got seen pictures of a 9a crank in car and it doesnt have trigger wheel and cant see properly if its got threaded holes for it thanks

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

later ones should at least, same part number for 9a and ABF cranks :)

later MK3 2.0 8v cranks will also work, plus they have the trigger wheel also

edit: hmm, late 8v crank part number not the same as ABF, even tho it has a trigger wheel. anyone know why?

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Find a later MK3 GTi i.e.w/AGG or ADY and use the crank from that. This already comes with the 60-2 trigger wheel.
    I got one of these in my WOLF R car.

8. Toyotec

Looks like they have different forming process from what I have observed when I did the swap. AGG crank still good for 285lbft so OK I suppose in a 145/lbft/150PS vehicle.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dunno, i did think maybe forged vs cast like you see so many threads popping up about, but pricewise theres only a few quid in it so not convinced

edit: the abf one is cheaper as well! did you happen to check the weight of each?

10. Toyotec

Brain G maybe cound confirm, but the AGG ones look like a sand cast and the ABF unit looks forged.
    I swapped this when the WOLF R damaged the main bearings with the bits from an 8v AGG that I had my pile of parts. I was more interesting in getting the car running again and did not document these observations. Apart from balancing process, this may be one the reason why the part numbers are different. As you are more than likely to find an AGG 8v engine giving away for free and the crank seems to take the punishment, this can be another source for a drop in ABF crankshaft.

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

My mate 'Danster' did some weighing of these cranks lately, while building an 'ABF' engine from bits of others. I can't remember the details, but hopefully he'll read in and share the info.

You'll have more choice of crank if you're not running Digi management, or anything else that needs to trigger wheel. Your post above implies that you want one though.

12. deano mk2 2.016v New Member

yeah defanutly need trigger wheel as am running mk3 running gear. wot crank would be the strongest as is being used on the track

13. danster Forum Addict

The 2E crank is a couple of kilos heavier than the ABF one and does not have a trigger wheel.
    The AGG crank looked the same as the 2E (heavier) but had a trigger wheel.

From this info i would think you want an ABF as 1st choice but AGG would do. Not seen the ADY crank but presume it is like an AGG.

14. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Although you may never reach the limits of a cast crank, a forged crank will always be the better choice.
    Im going to do up a small thread on both, showing their differences, make up, manufacturing process, and also how to tell one from the other.

Ill post it up later or maybe tomorrow.