02A side to side short shift and improvement

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by pigbladder, Dec 7, 2009.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

i decided to try and improve over the plastic linkage in the shift tower , at the same time moving the pivot to reduce the side to side play , much like the part gruven sells for $90

costs a couple of quid in nuts n bolts , plus the cable attachment from a earlier car i had laying around

heres a few pics incase anyone fancies making themselves one

materials req...thats 4mm x20mm bar but anything close will do , m12 nut and bolt with a 50mm shank , 4x m8 nuts and a m8x40 bolt

[​IMG]

first job drill a 12mm and 8mm hole that match up with the plastic part , chop off some m8 bolt and weld it on one side and grind flat

[​IMG]

next weld on some m8 nuts , i chose to have a short shift position (-30%) and a standard one , weld on 2 nuts on top of each other , then grind back so theyre the right height , roughly 1.5 nuts high lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

offer up a straight edge to confirm theyre the right height compared to the vag plastic part

[​IMG]

drill a 12mm hole in the bracket and tack a m12 nut to the vw bracket

[​IMG]

i found the bolt head was fairly close so ive grinded the top down a nadge , might try a regular hex head for better clearance..but here it is all done , much stronger and less play than the plastic part...quick clean up and some paint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2018