ABF into KR questions

Discussion in '16-valve' started by RobyD, Dec 9, 2009.

1. RobyD New Member

I've recently bought a 2.0 16v engine from a mk3 to put into my mk2 16v, using all the existing KR bits. Two questions that i cant seem to find answered in the search are..

1) I have a new cambelt and tensioner for a KR 16v to put on from when i was originally going to keep my engine (back when she wasn't a smoker:lol: ). Can i still use these on the abf block and head?

2) I want to upgrade to power steering while the engine is out. With the abf lump came the pump and pulleys. Can i use these if i get the rest of the bits from a mk2(rack,reservoir,pipes,UJ, UJ joint etc)?

Thanks in advance!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1) cambelt no, tensioner yes if a) ABF lump is old enough to have the early size stud or b) you swap the stud over from the KR head. easy to tell the difference between em, late stud is smaller and the tensioner looks very different

2) yes :)

3. IanH Forum Member

That reminds me, I must fix my power steering..... [:$]

When you have done the conversion, I would be interested in seeing the Mk3 Pump and pulleys in a mk2 as i think my Mk2 pump is on its way out. (Please feel free to slap me if I am talking rubbish by the way as i am still trying to decipher my cars ABF conversion!!) :lol:

Ian...

4. mookie Forum Member

I got the KR stud from GSF with the cheaper KR tensioner - think the stud was only about 80p or something. As Rubjonny says, the newer studs are thinner but the base is just as thick as the KR version. I only did it on mine cos the replacement ABF tensioner was about 40 and KR was loads cheaper.

5. rubjonny

I have some.

KR with MK3 early 8v setup:
    [​IMG]

MK3 early 8v setup alt, also good pics of PS setup. (PS same on all 1.8-2.0 setups tho):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ABF/Aircon type tensioner (aircon tensioner setup is the same as non-aircon, just need to swap the waterpump pulley)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RobyD New Member

Spot on, only need to get a new cambelt then. Will get some pics of the pump/pulleys once its all done.

Will probably have a few more questions as i get into it! Ta very much:)

7. RobyD New Member

Just looking into ordering some parts and need a new rocker gasket set. There's two different kinds, one for <94 and one for 94>. My engine is a 96 and the gasket set is twice the price of the other at 17.50 from GSF. Anyone know the differences, i assume i cant use the cheaper one?!

8. RobyD New Member

The pipe connection onto the mk3 pump coming direct from the rack has a larger diameter bolt than the mk2 pump. Im pretty certain the thread size is larger but i cant get the pipe off the mk2 pump to double check!

Would like to use the mk3 pump as i dont have all the brackets etc for the mk2. Any idea how you get round this?

9. rubjonny

no the MK3 pump has the same size connections as the mk2 pump. I know this for a fact as I have done 2 MK2 ABF swaps using the MK3 PAS pump and MK2 PAS lines ;)

as for the rocker gasket, check how yours is attached to the engine. if it has bolts its the early type, if it has nuts its the later type.

10. RobyD New Member

I was just looking at the other ends of the mk2 pipe and they are the same thread size as the mk3 pump, you've just confirmed it for me. Cheers!

Another question, what cambelt covers do people use? If i use the kr one there will be a 15-20mm gap due to it being a taller block. If i use the abf one, the bottom cover doesn't fit flush due to being pushed out by the kr alternator bracket bolted to the side of the block. It means there's a 20mm gap at the back of the engine between block and cover [:s]

11. rubjonny

you use the abf covers, if there is a problem with the kr gear just trim it to suit :)