4.6 motorsports diff

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Fasteddymini, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Fasteddymini Forum Member

Just discovered i have a 14/65 4.6 motorsports cw and pinion in my mk1 racer so if anyone know the whereabouts of a 4.1 or 4.2 ish for a swap i would be interested.
    John

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Interesting find - that'll be explained away by the 17" wheel size.

Is it marked Gemini / GLtd or VW? If VW, it'll be out of a Maestro van.

For a 4.2, you could look out for Maestro parts (1300 5 speed), though there are some VW ones around too, but they're few and far between. Worst case, try ordering one over the counter.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Had one off these guys in the past. Good service, and good prices. Well worth it. I think the VW's ones are nearly 190 now, but not too sure as I haven't bought on in a while.

5. Fasteddymini Forum Member

BH Chris that fantastic service many thanks - Its the LSd thats giving us some food for thought as it seems to be both plated as well as gear planets!! with a ref number V03703490A
    Any thoughts
    Now also have all the ratios as follows
    1st, 11-38
    2nd, 17-36
    3rd, 27-39
    4th, 35-31
    5th, 47-42
    Also the run out at Anglesey proved interesting - I was running out of in 5th before i got to the straight and spend most of my time in 4th. And, as you say that explains the 17 inch rims (which look awful) until all the silicon (that had been used the last time the sump had been put on) collected in the oil pick up and ran a bearing ! Engine out and going to revert to 1.8 unit (for class regs).
    All in all it felt like a proper little race car and much more taught than my MK2.
    Thanks again
    Cheers
    John

6. danster Forum Addict

That is just std gti gear ratios you list.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That's a VW Motorsport part number for an 020 plate LSD.

It's a part number that will be on the offside casing of the LSD itself.

It might be a Gemini LSD, but it could be made by possibly 2 other companies who made them for VWM.

Look for more etching marks on it, particularly "GLtd". If it needs new plates, I can point you in the right direction.

8. danster Forum Addict

Make sure to measure the diff OD and the crownwheel ID of your 4.6 before you order the 4.25 one. There are two different sizes depending on what the diff unit was originally fitted to or designed for.
    IE 8v is a couple of mm smaller than the 16v one.
    Generally you only get the 3.66 option of crownwheel for the slightly larger diameter 16v diff. The 3.66, 3.89, 3.94, 4.17, 4.25 and 4.6 final drives only fit the smaller 8v diff.
    As your LSD and final drive appears to be of a motorsport origin it may differ in size and cause a problem.:thumbup:

9. Hotgolf

Easy to machine to suit, either diff housing or crownwheel, although the crownwheel will need an expensive tmax style tip to cut the material as it's as hard as a b'stard!(from experience lol)

10. Fasteddymini Forum Member

4.6 Motorsports Diff ?

The diff from my MK1 is marked
    MO
    Doess this mean its a VW Motorsports diff?
    Any clues would be gratefully received
    Many thanks
    John M

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I could be a VWM diff or it could be VW standard.

What is the internal diameter of the crownwheel?

12. Fasteddymini Forum Member

4.6 Diff

Hi Chris - it looks like 110 mm ish (cant get the guage fully around the LSD)

13. Fasteddymini Forum Member

Interestingly the LSD is marked
    MO V03703490A

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The diff was sussed earlier in the thread (above) - that's a VWM plate diff.

I can't find the part no you're quoting for the CWP.

This is the data:

Part number Desciption Teeth Ratio Internal diameter
    020 409 143 AG SP pinion 13 4.64 n/a
    020 409 144 A SP crown wheel 65 4.64 110.9mm
    020 409 144 AA SP crown wheel 65 4.64 108.9mm

If the crown wheel is the second one down, then it is a 16V crownwheel with the larger internal diameter. As this was not sold for maintream models, I'd make that technically a motorsport part. If it is 108.9mm, it should be technically identical to a Maestro diesel van, and is thus a mainstream part.

Since yours has the plate LSD in the middle of it, I suspect it is the motorsport CWP.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  15. Fasteddymini Forum Member

Chris as ever thanks - it seems there is never a straightforward answer to these things -
    Cheers

16. Fasteddymini Forum Member

020 box help

Its a bit of a story but bear with me please.

I have a mk1 golf with an 020 gearbox which was running a motorsport 4.6 FD and Motorsport LSD. We needed to change the FD ratio so bought a new 4.2 Crown wheel and pinion. The Crown wheel inside diameter was too small so after a trip to the machine shop managed to get it to fit onto the dif 110mm. Fine so far ...the rebuild could begin and all goes well until we get the 3rd gear onto the pinion shaft and try putting the spacer/ circlip into the groove on the shaft and the inside diameter is too big ! so it washes around like no ones business and means that any thrust off 3rd gear will probably throw the circlip off and who knows what will happen. I didnt realise that pinion shafts can be different for the 020 - Has anyone else come accross this problem ? How do i sort it ? All help/recommensations gratefully received ?

Many thanks

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The crownwheel machining tallies with what we were talking about the other day - the plate LSD has the larger housing.

This latest issue sounds like the classic CWP swap problem people run into when changing FDs on standard boxes from one pinion type to another. I thought it was 4th gear that was usually the problem though.

Hotgolf may be able to advise in more technical detail, but my gut feel is you need to get hold of an 8-valve 020 gearbox and pull a third gear out of that. Hotgolf may have the spares you need, as he is always pulling these apart.

18. Hotgolf

Diffs are usually 109mm or 111mm so I'm assumning it's actually one of those.
    Sounds like you've either over stretched the circlip or you've got the wrong one on there. Buy another circlip and refit, just don't open it up too wide past it's limit.

The usual problem with pinion(output) shafts is people putting shorter ratio final drives from 8v code boxes into 16v boxes. The problem lies with 4th gear having a different bore/spline and seat/locating design from the 8v to the 16v. So using an 8v crown/pinion in a 16v means using an 8v 4th gear too.

edit, beat me to it ;)

19. Fasteddymini Forum Member

Cheers guys - The circlip I have has come from a 16v box and still fits that shaft perfectly so from what your saying it sounds like the new input shaft I have is an 8v shaft which has a different from the 16v one so the circlip wont fit !
    So it sounds like I need to get an 8v box and mix & match up what I can...or is there a simpler solution ?

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I don't think Hotgolf has pulled out the issue with third gear not fitting, so ignore that part of my post unless it's transparently obvious there are similar issues.