Diesel exh manifolds to petrol turbos

Discussion in 'Engines' started by danster, Jun 7, 2010.

1. danster Forum Addict

2 subjects here. Both fitting diesel exhaust manifolds to petrol turbos.

1 : VW Golf MK2 platform (transverse engine)

Has anyone got a pic of an AHU exhaust manifold, or one lying around?
    I have looked on the bay but not seeing what I need there.
    I am doing a mockup conversion and the 1Z exhaust manifold I have is a slightly different shape where it comes out the exhaust ports and into the turbo collector. This is stopping the AGG petrol inlet manifold from mating onto the inlet ports by 2mm, (too high).
    The AHU one is slightly curved at the points I need clearance at where as the 1Z one is pretty straight.

2 : Audi A4 platform (longitudinal engine)

Are any of the petrol KO3 or 3s turbos configured in the same way as the diesel turbos. ie flange mounting, wastegate position?
    Looking at an Audi / Passat A4 / B4 TDI exhaust manifold to accept a petrol turbo setup.

If you have any thoughts or ideas on this I would be interested to hear them.:thumbup:

2. aidanb22 Forum Member

Different flanges, I have literally just sold a GT15/1z manifold and a Passat K03 - what turbo do you have in mind?

I have an 8v manifold with a T2 flange (T25/T28/GT20/GT25/GT28) for sale cheaply

3. danster Forum Addict

Both of the scenarios involve turbo charging petrol engines and trying to utilise oem bits to keep the costs down a little.

The petrol KO3 / S turbos have a triangular bolt pattern to mount the turbo in a similar fashion to the TDIs but there seem to be subtle differences to the orientation of the flanges.

The longitudinal engine mockup is less of a problem as the crossflow head is being used so plenty of room at the exhaust side.

Let me know about that exh manifold you got as it may simplify things a little.:thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  4. aidanb22 Forum Member

Unfortunately the only real thing they have in common is 3 bolt holes to be honest.

The 1z manifold has the triangle flange square to the block, where the 1.8T K03 is 'twisted' if you know what I mean? That style of flange is off the VNT turbo manifolds, i.e AFN,can get those quite cheap off Ford Galaxys, Sharans, Alhambras

5. aidanb22 Forum Member

6. aidanb22 Forum Member

7. aidanb22 Forum Member

8. danster Forum Addict

The AFN one you linked to there is curved as it comes out of the ports in a similar way to the AHU one and I think it would give the clearance I was looking for. Just the flange is 90deg out.[:s]

The 1Z one is very "square" as it turns from exhaust port to turbo flange.

Back to the bay for me then.;)

9. danster Forum Addict

10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

11. Norledge Forum Member

Holy Post drag up batman!

Did anything ever come of this?? Looking to boost my PB for cheap... not for power more a bit of a learning curve.

12. danster Forum Addict

13. Norledge Forum Member

Ok, but that goes onto inlet manifolds... without definative answer!

I have access to a 1996 MK3 Turbo Diesel turbo (:S) for 20, but i have to take it off myself... can't really be bothered to take it off for it not to fit!

14. danster Forum Addict

Well someone has to put the effort in to find out. The engine will still need an inlet manifold to run.
    What is the engine code of this mk3 diesel you speak of? Is it AAZ IDI engine or 1Z / AHU TDI? It has been mentioned already in both threads that there are differences in all 3 that mean certain types are more use than others.

15. Norledge Forum Member

Haha i'll venture into it if i get a hint it minght work :p

Newb question... how do i tell which engine it is? And i guess you mean the standard 8v inlet won't fit with the diesel manifold then?

16. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

How about an Audi 10v 5cyl turbo manifold and give it the chop 'n' weld treatment to get rid of the extra runner? Possible?

Gurds

17. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Volvo 5 pot V70 2.5TDI Manifold , same as the Audi as it is made by VAG 15 from scrappers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]