8v Appreciation Society Busted!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by danster, Jun 19, 2010.

?

8AS Membership vote - Danster

1. Do we keep Dan/Danster in & let him off for his drunken comment?

56.3%
  2. Kick him out & leave him with the 'People's Front for More Valves' lot?

43.7%
  1. danster Forum Addict

There has been a recent attempt to undermine the faith of the "8v Appreciation Society", by one of the hardcore 16v activists, aka Big Blue, aka Wearer of Boat Shoes, aka Shrek, aka Bogey.
    The 16v activist has found evidence that a prominent member of the "8AS" has actually got a 16v engine in his car.

I would like to add that this situation has been the very cause for my 8v faith to be strengthened. Having had said engine in my car for a while has provided the very proof that was required to give a balanced and objective view between the two choices.

In todays' PC gone mad world, I hereby confirm that the engine evidence is correct, and I feel that I should let folks know, so they can make their own decisions and judgments on the matter.

2. bens_cab Forum Junkie

hmm im a member of the 20v appreceation society and we dont take kindly to you 8v wannabe's:)

3. BristolFish

BristolFish Forum Member

I'm shocked; so how many of the society run 8v motors at the moment? [8(]

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It would seem in order to have a balanced and objective view of the valve choices, such vehicles would need to be driven back-to-back in identical sets of circumstances.

Given that:

- there is no 8-valve petrol reference car available
    - the 16-valve reference car available isn't road legal and is only for track use, where the powarrr on Knockhill (and the odd Crail Thrash) will clearly have its virtues
    - & there is a diesel 8v is available for the road

... I am left with no alternative to conclude that said views may not indeed be objective at all, and simply a product of excessive big-valve lawnmower fumes.

I therefore tender my services to liquidate the 8AS forthwith, on the grounds of mis-selling a dream and (evidently) rapidly diminishing responsibilty :lol:

5. danster Forum Addict

20v[:s] Beyond help there then bens_cab. That is one step beyond the madness that is 16v

Stop touching your electric eel, ya eel abusing pervert!:o

You forget how old I am Mr Bogeyman.
    Having won one all the trophies you have previously seen in an 8v, I have plenty of real world experience of both types.
    Your fixation with power and numbers must stem from your accounting background. :lol:
    It would be good if you could appreciate engineering design to those standards too.;)
    There are limits to what a front wheel dive car can put down through it's steering and driven wheels and still handle as a nice balanced car. Beyond this and it is just a point and squirt machine. Drag racing ain't my thing, you will never have enough go in this discipline.
    The works VWs and Seats had a very sophisticated traction control system in an attempt to put power down. A potentiometer on the steering column so that the ecu could control wheel drive to cope with the different distances the inside and outside wheels were traveling depending on lock applied.
    Far too many parameters and complexities for your average joe to contend with IMO.
    So for a simple and fulfilling sporty car, I do not really see the need to go beyond the original and best...........which is of course 8v.

6. kelvinc Forum Member

I like my 8v..................its very reliable.

:)

7. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

danster you'll like this, I might be buying an 8V! the misses likes the idea of a mk1 cab gti meaning I could be joining the 8V appreciation society, I feel wrong and dirty just saying it [xx(]

8. danster Forum Addict

You dirty old sl aag!! :lol:

9. bens_cab Forum Junkie

it is wrong and dirty to be an 8v owner theres only one thing with enough torque to spin the world and that was superman an 8v is a little way off just yet

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

And after all this objective testing, your choice of steed?

diesel

+ 16v trackcar Scirocco?

Soooo, just like myself it would seem? !

Let the liquadation of 8AS begin!

11. danster Forum Addict

Remarkably similar to you then!:lol:

The 16v rocco was a two time championship winning car in 8v form.:thumbup:
    No doubt that will be down to the 50 odd other competitors being marginally more shi te drivers than me.:lol:
    Life goes on though and i thought i would do something else after defending my title win for a second year.
    The current 6A will be coming out and up for grabs soon. It served it's purpose and enlightened me to the fact that there are other things I would rather spend my time and effort on that will give me more satisfaction. Each to their own and all that.
    I am actually quite glad of all this "inter valve banter" as it has made me come to a decision on what to do with the scary amount of 16v stuff in the shed.
    The rocco is currently getting ready for an MOT with a full wiring loom back in and a few other jobs required for road use. May not be back on the road till next year due to other commitments though.

12. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

The newest, youngest, and keenest of us all, it would appear from the rapidly building post count.:thumbup:

A little too polite as yet though.;)

You will learn.[%]

13. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Perhaps you can start a new appreciation society called "I've seen the light - more valves is better".

14. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

I cannot comment being a owner of the following -

16v ABF
    6v TDI
    16v TDI
    10v D

I havn't had a 8V GTI for 4 years now.

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Excellent idea! Who's in, and who's going to front it? Declare you allegiance now!

Shall we call it the "More Valves People's Front", or the "People's Front for More Valves" ?

16. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

ValversValueValidation Society :thumbup:

V VV Society [:D]

17. prof Forum Addict

pah! 32 valves is where it's at

18. danster Forum Addict

From another thread (remarkably off topic too for a "hello newbie" one).

You need to start comparing like for like.;)
    I would love to see your 16v defense stand up to just about any other manufacturer's 16v head design.
    Lets have a think of similar "of the era" designs (all of which were just progressions of an original 8v engine)
    VW 16v v Pug MI 16 = Away win.
    VW 16v v GM Redtop = Away win.
    VW 16v v BMW M3 = Away win.
    VW 16v v 8 x Briggs & Stratton sidevalve engines = Draw!:lol:

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

But how much work do you have to do to up an 8v to 180bhp?

Versus how much to do to a 16v?

[​IMG]

8AS, RIP :lol:

All hail the People's Front for More Valves :thumbup:

20. danster Forum Addict

That will be one less cam for a kick off! And 8 less valve bowls to port.;)