OEM exhaust manifold find

Discussion in 'Engines' started by danster, Jul 28, 2010.

1. danster Forum Addict

I was searching through the shed for an mk2 Digiphant (PB engine) exhaust manifold ( 6 bolt flange type), and noticed in my stock another similar manifold that may be useful to folks carrying out conversions in mk1 and Scirocco platform cars.
    The spring clip design is very poor for performance applications, and the 6 bolt flange type is far better. Even more so when a performance cam is installed due to valve timing and overlaps.

The mk2 manifolds have the downpipe biased towards the gearbox end of the head, and this causes the downpipe to be close to the gear linkage of an 020 box when making a downpipe for an installation in a mk1 or rocco. I have found that a mk4 1.6 8v (AKL engine) has the downpipe in a more central location in a similar style to the mk1 type, which should make the downpipe manufacturing easier than using the mk2 or 3 type.
    I know there is already an OEM manifold and downpipe that is found on mk1 and Scirocco GTI models, but these are getting rare so this may be an option for folks.:thumbup:

Mk2 top / Mk4 bottom
    [​IMG]

The after market four branch manifolds are sometimes of dubious design for clearing the steering column and performance gains. Good results can be obtained from using the OEM style manifolds and it can keep the car quieter too.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looksgood, any idea if there is a mk4 platform engine with a 16v style zaust fitment, that would be good for the 16v mk1 types

3. danster Forum Addict

Not sure on that but 20v, yes:thumbup:

4. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Looks good, far better balance for the pulses.:thumbup:

But, closer to the steering bellows on a Mk2. Frying tonite!

Send it over and I will see if it suits an EV!:thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  5. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

Got mine off Danny today and looks far better and you can tell it flow far better than the restrictive EZ standard one, but yeah will sit closer to the Steering bellow so time to invest in some heat wrap I think;)