twin carb base setting advice 1.9 8v cam'd

Discussion in '8-valve' started by hussy, Aug 4, 2010.

1. hussy New Member

hey all,
    I'm fitting a set of twin webers to my caddy setup as going smoothed bay... less is more

I need some advice or recommend a book etc to give me a driveable setup so I can get it to a rolling road

engine is a Tsr donnington lump
    1.9 with gas flowed head with 102 cam
    twin 40 weber carbs
    think it's the mangolets mani but I've ported and matched to head

I'm not worried about max power, would like to keep it driveable rather than too peaky
    can anyone help?
    thanks

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

What choke size's are in the carbs currently?

Post that up and we can go from there.

3. hussy New Member

reet, I stripped em down and boy did they need it! got to soak them to get a couple of bits out thou.
    main choke 34mm
    aux choke 45
    main jets 135
    emulsion f11
    idle 50f9
    acc pump jet 40

that's what's out so far...

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Not a million miles out..

I'd run it initially as it is. The idle's "maybe" a touch rich (50F8 maybe), but turn the idle screws all the way in then a turn & a half out, it should start and idle there... turn the idles in then out 1/2 a turn and find the best ballance.. they should end up around 1-2 turns out, and no flat spots on initial light throttle pick-up.

Chokes are fine, as are the vents (whick will be 4.5 if you look very closely). Those mains will work fine, and the air correctors in the top need to be 180 to start with.

The pumps will also be a good start.. as long as theres no excess fuel "smoke" when blipping the throttle or and hesitation on quick pick-up (which I would doubt) then they too wont be far off.

The emulsions may need changing to F15 or 16's, but try what you have to start with.

When you say the manifold is ported and port matched, you should be able to pass a 31mm valve through the manifold and into the head, if not you'll have a restriction. If the lump of head is left that you can see at the top of the port when looking down the manifold you'll loose 8cfm of flow at the top of the lift range.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  5. hussy New Member

thank you very much sir, better get a rebuild kit on order and get the cleaned up.

6. slim363

slim363 New Member

Dave, dont believe a word Mr Hillclimber tells you......i wouldnt want you to have a faster engine than me ;)

Good advice as always Jason :thumbup:

7. hussy New Member

haha, don't worry with how low mine is sitting on the flipped sport rear end, I would have nothing left of the underside if I used that power!!
    might have to go back up a touch me thinks lol
    oh bed panels should be with the courier now fingers crossed we may have them soon...

8. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

One try's... [:$]... :lol:

The manifold porting is very important tho, unported or just cleaned up ports kill a chunk of airflow...they really need opening correctly, however horrible a job it is. I have some flowtest results to post up soon.