Potential 16v project ideas & thoughts please

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Noo Noo, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Noo Noo Forum Member

Right I'll admit it. I've got the tinkering bug.

Glad that's off my chest.

Anyway as a result of the above I'm thinking of planning something a little different for my T4 transporter. My pride and joy, my daily vehicle, and I clock some silly miles in the beaty.

At the moment she's running on a petrol 1.8 8V Gti engine on a Weber Carb. This is absically a mirror of the original engine set up but a teeny bit better performance (Swapped cause the original HG was on it's way out). It's also got a simple LPG set up to keep the running costs reasonable. All good but it's still desperately underpowered so something which will make general driving far less strenuous is the aim. However, as it's my project I'm very keen to explore all available avenues while being a little different.

Options are numerous but looking around here I see TSR do some modified 16v engines producing better all round oomph. I'm fully aware of the many pitfalls of sticking a 16V in a T4 (exhaust manifold, fans are the main issues) but I'm wondering if people have any thoughts, concerns, ideas on teh TSR blocks and my possible project.

The van currently has no form of menagement so something stand alone seems logical. The LPG side i need to investigate further with my converter but I know full well that he can fix the kit onto an 2.0l 8v transporter so it's a detail thing physically. Engine management and the different block I don't know.

Cheers

2. alexisblades99 Forum Member

What kind of lpg kit are you using? lpg injection with an ecu would be the way to go, with a turbo kit to raise the compression and get the most out of the lpg's higher octane rating (108). That way you get to keep your existing 8v engine, and it's torque, which is important for something as heavy as a van I'd have thought.

3. Noo Noo Forum Member

At the moment it's a simple open loop system at the moment. I still need to discuss options with my converter as I see they're offering more options now.

Lack of torque is definately a problem at the moment, just not big enough, the 1.8 I guess. Anyway I fancy a fresh or rebuilt block. Now would be a good time to start afresh I think. And I definitely don't want something too highly strung which is my personal fear with a turbo, although I'm open to suggestions. I wish I didn't bin the old engine. Block was fine and cylinders ran at a nice low compression value. At the end of the day it needs to be solid and reliable.

4. prof Forum Addict

TSR are very expensive, and ABF or audi equivalent would probably be the best cost/more power option

best option would be a remapped mk4tdi, but it'd be a much more involved conversion

5. danster Forum Addict

What about building a diesel cranked 2.0 8v petrol / lpg engine then.
    It is around 2042cc it comes out as.
    The extra stroke of the diesel crank will put the pistons 1.35mm higher up the bore requiring slight machining but the compression will be higher suiting the lpg.
    Far better suited to the van than a 16v.
    Engine angle is different from the car and the 16v may toil to drain oil or lubricate cam followers if mounted at that angle.
    8v FTW.

6. Noo Noo Forum Member

Interesting thoughts. A diesel crank had crossed my mind which where the TSR blocks came from.

Whatever I do it's time to get fuel injection and some decent engine managment fitted.

A 16v conversion has been done and there's a few of us waiting for some feedback on it. Point taken on the head lubrication! A couple of 1.8 20v turbos are also in existence but for whatever reason I simply not keen on that idea. I shouldn't rule it out though.

7. Noo Noo Forum Member

here's an idea. Let's start from scratch, a blank piece of paper!

The brief is.

VAG or similar Petrol engine to go in a T4 with some form of stand alone management.

I'll update the existing LPG system after.

More than happy to look at something different / off the wall

Needs to be a solid and reliable daily with plenty of "torks and horses" to get the brick up those mountains in North Wales

8. danster Forum Addict

Have a read up on Drunkenalan's project.
    Megasquirted diesel cranked petrol 8v.

9. Noo Noo Forum Member

Just read that. Damn good, fair play.

10. chrismc Forum Junkie

Yup, a relaxed and torquey motor sounds perfect for the job..large capacity 8v all the way;)

I take it a larger 5 pot Audi lump won't physically fit? Excuse my ignorance.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  11. Noo Noo Forum Member

Not sure on the 5 pot. There is a 5 pot petrol T4 (early years) but I think they were supeceded by the 2.0l and VR6.

VR6 is not really an option by the way as you need to modify the whole front end into what we call the "Long Nose". Not difficult but finding a suitable donor is so best rule it out.

Going with a VAG 2.0l has several advantages including engine mounts, gearbox fitment hoses and stuff which are available for the T4.

Gearbox ratios will probably need looking at too while I'm at it.

Just for my understanding what kind of torque numbers are you taliking of when comparing 8v and 16v if that's possible?

12. Noo Noo Forum Member

Anymore thoughts and ideas or have I just attracted the "8v club" on here? :lol: ;)

I will be starting to look at budgets, time and spec. so any useful info will be most helpful.

13. danster Forum Addict

I have a NA 20v on ITBs if you want. :thumbup:

It will be jobbie in a van though. :lol:

So to compensate, I will sell you 2! :o

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I think you have!

Some 8v & 16v stats to get this moving:

Engine|Capacity|Valves|Max power|Max torque|Origin EV/PB|1781cc|8v|112bhp|114 lb/ft@ 3500rpm|Mk2 Golf/Jetta KR|1781cc|16v|139bhp|124 lb/ft|Mk2 Golf/Jetta 2E|1984cc|8v|115bhp|122 lb/ft @ 3200rpm|Mk3 Golf/Vento 9A|1984cc|16v|136bhp|130 lb/ft|Corrado & Passat 6A|1984cc|16v|140bhp|133 lb/ft|Audi 80 ABF|1984cc|16v|150bhp|130 lb/ft @ 4800rpm|Mk3 Golf/Vento + Seat Ibiza & Toledo
    Extracted from wiki - usual caveats apply!

Any squabbling from the back about 16v torque, please see this :lol:

[​IMG]

15. danster Forum Addict

The reason may well be because it is more suited to the application.
    16v head leaning forward is not ideal for oil draining from head and potentially cam lubrication on buckets.
    Bespoke exhaust and inlet manifold for 16v too.
    The 8v stuff just bolts on. Simples.[:D]

If you are not going to go for the two 20v engines, I will supply a pair of KRs instead. :thumbup:

16. Noo Noo Forum Member

head hurts. [xx(]
    20V on ITB's. Hadn't thought of that. What exactly have ya got? From what I've seen on 1 of the 2 20V conversions I know of it's pretty involved, new engine mounts, sump and all. At least with a 2.0L block the existing sump and engine mounts will work. Although I'll admit it would be daft different.

Back to the 16V the inlet manifold works but you need to change the radiator fan set up. Exhaust manifold / down pipe I agree is definately an issue.

Cheers for the numbers Chris. I see the 8v produces those figures at lower revs. Nuff said.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

But also see the graph. The 16v is ahead on torque, at all rpms :thumbup:

18. danster Forum Addict

It would need to be too. To make up for the lost time it would take to fit the engine in the first place. ;)
    The 8v will have such a head start due to the simplicity of the conversion using std bits, that the valver will never catch up. Torques or not.
    Moving the radiator to fit the std 16v plenum. Where is the metering head and lines going to sit?[:s]

You know what is coming....................
    8v FTW! :lol:

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

20. danster Forum Addict

Funny looking van. [:s]