TOADS

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GrannyRacer, Aug 8, 2010.

1. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

I found tonight we are the lucky owners of a lovely young toad in the garden, I've been wanting one or some for ages. Does anyone else have them and if so, is it a good idea to provide toad houses for them for winter?

So far "it" does not have a name as I'm not sure whether it is male or female, not had chance to look at its thumb but I suppose I could call it Chris so it would suit male or female. (No offence meant Old Thing).

2. fishnchipsx2 Forum Member

Every now and again, millions of toads descend on this road near me. Whenever this happens, a group people who call themselves the 'Toad Patrol' put up signs to hold up traffic while they walk down the middle of the road picking them up and putting them into the bushes.

Personally, I find the 'Toad Patrol' annoying. First they slow me down, and then there's no toads on the road for me to squish [:v:]

3. alexisblades99 Forum Member

A pile of old rocks in the garden in a damp corner is good for toads, just remember not to touch them or you'll get warts!

4. gtijon Forum Member

What he said - heap of rubble & soil. You'll probably be able to find some plans / instructions if you google toad or amphibian hibernacula.

5. Admin Guest

My mother has a big fat one that leaves in the garden, i spotted him hoping around in the garage this wekend, and i nearly squoshed him last year, he was behind the shed door when i opend it, though the door was just stiff so gave it a good shove :thumbup: poor toady was on his back! but the sighting at the weekend confirms hes OK.

Toad lives in the shed and the dry stone walls in the garden, he is great for keeping slugs away from your plants.

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

The dog was chasing a frog / toad ? under the car the other night ... pulled her out and left it alone, a rare sight around here although I do have plenty of stone walls and undergrowth.

7. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

He or she seems content where it is but I will sort something out for the winter. They don't give you warts but do pee on you if you pick them up. It probably likes my garden as most things are in pots, even a 10ft camelia, so I am always watering which must keep Mr Toad happy plus there's plenty of pests for him and my hedgehog to grab.

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

.. Toad Hall ? :)

9. BristolFish

BristolFish Forum Member

We've been really lucky this year. We have Harry the hedgehog, Timmy the toad and a whole bunch of frogs, I bet the slugs don't know what's hit 'em. :thumbup:

10. BB _Fabrications Forum Member

I have had my wellies outside for a few months, went to put them on for the 1st time tonight, thought i'd better give them a shake out and guess what.... out fell a dried crispy frog. [xx(]

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Chinese delicacy, give you bigger cock!

12. karmann gettit

karmann gettit Forum Member

Toads, frogs and hedgies are great! I had lots in my old town garden in brighton but nothing up here. We did have rats (yuk) and mice (double yuk) but now we have the poultry they scare absolutely everything off. I'd love another hedgehog. I even got a special hibernation box but the ducks have taken it over. I reared a lil baby one once with some orphan kittens when I worked at the vets. Lovely to have proper british wildlife in your garden - enjoy your toad S! You may well have more in spring....

13. bomp Forum Member

This is true. Or they can be used as a personal love purse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZ-nOQFuaA It's the kids laughing in the vid that had me laughing with tears streaming down my face :lol:

14. alexisblades99 Forum Member

I'll never drink PG tips again.

15. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

That was vile! I have not seen Chris the Toad for a couple of days. Haha if babies appear I shall have to re-name her Christine.

16. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

We have had 2 in the garden in the last few weeks. Dog goes mental at them.