The "Dub" scene - by Pistonheads, pages of it

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by A.N. Other, Aug 20, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

18 pages of stereotypes and hate.

Tuck in:

Pistonheads

I recommend page 16 :thumbup:

Was tempted to remind the race-glove wearing, track daying, poncing lot of them in their TVRs, Ferraris, and Lotuses* that they've probably had their backsides kicked by a red Mk1 Golf at some stage - but I think the moment has passed!

* Possibly a generalisation :p

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

:lol: I bet they have.

This quote made me laugh -

[:s]

And this -

So we are all kids with no money [:s]

Someone needs to send a link of clubgti's members gallery, with the likes of PAB ect and see what they say then...

:lol: Ediot!!

The only thing i agree with is the rust/rat look. Always hated it, and never understood the point of ruining your car. Its beyond me... And that forum is full of nobs

3. gtiballs Forum Member

Page 2 by "MR DAVE"
    [​IMG]

Its not the wheels what everyone is staring at:thumbup:;)

I've got 17" alloys,lowered and a stainless exhaust,but i dont consider myself in the "scene":clap:

4. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Jesus look at that ass :hug:

5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Anyone know a way of downloading a forum thread as text?

That thread is perfect ammo to help with my dissertation on car culture.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the OP on that thread has a point tho chris, its pretty much nail right square on the head.

98.5% of "the scene" have no imagination at all and it is just full of clones.

im almost sick to the back teeth of the crap you see at shows. the clones make me sick. the ones with crap engines make me sick. the ones with LEDs make me sick. the ones with knock off BBS LMs or knock off RS6s make me sick. the cars that are "dubbed" to beyond road worthyness make me sick.

i was thinking about this the other day... i still love golfs, specifically, i love GTIs and i love what it stands for, i love the pocket rocket element (ie back in the R5, 205 and mk1/mk2 golf days) and i love how the VW aspect makes them robust and durable. i want a fun car and i want a car that takes the hard use.

the rest of the cosmetic stuff is just gay and im getting sick of it. ive seen too much of it. ive been to three big shows this year, before 2010 i hadnt been to a show for two years maybe, but i dont think ill be going back.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not spoofing you, but just showing how easy it is to turn it all round:

8. craggsy Forum Member

I just go to shows I can race at now as thats what interests me, so Inters and most shows at Santa Pod. The shiny shiny stuff made me bored about 3 yrs ago now, yes i clean and polish the R32 just because its a newer car and deserves to be kept nice.

I dont get the rat look thing at all......also dont get the subframe scraping on the floor!!!

My VR6 was low but still handled well. I wont be going low on the R32 but just dropping it down about 15mm on KW V3s to close the gap up and aid in the handling

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Fair comment, TBH, if you went to a VAG show. That's why I don't go to them, generally, which is a pretty good strategy if you don't like something - i.e. don't pay money to go there, and encourage them to do it again.

However, the fact that it comes from the rich boy racer "all the gear, no idea" club that is Pistonheads, is frankly laughable. All those poorly driven Evos, Subarus, TVR's and Lotuses that we sail past at the ring in our "Old shopping cars" are probably PH devotees.

Scene bit-ching, or bit-kerching, in the case of PH [|)] zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

no. thats wrong chris. the track stuff is done that way for a reason and for purpose. XYZ pads or tyres will be used because theyre known to be effective and the common goal is to make the car quick.

with "the scene" its done because these people have no imagination and because everyone else does it. why else would these people put money into modding their cars and end up with them all looking the same? if they put thought into it there would be SOME variation. example, i asked for the photoshop of schnitzer wheels on rachel's mk4. it would look good and it would be different and within 10 minutes someone posts up that they want to do the same.

they may as well have all bought standard cars and not spunked their money, the cars all started out life looking the same.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

basically if they can spot it it must be pretty obvious mike. my vw blinkers are as strong as anyone else and im sick of the scene

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

saw one of those at tatton park, looked like a nice Eos... looked at the tacho and it was a bloody diesel.

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That is the distinction to be fair.

I can vaguely remember when people were grafting on Sprinter wing vents and somehow this was the next big thing? FRO it was :lol: It looked different, but supplying cold air to standard engine with an aftermarket filter? Do me a big favour :lol:

Thing was, back then,it was one scene, not the 50 or 100 sub clubs we have today. Pepole ran with it.

But not everyone wants to drive quick. Some have put enough cars up lamp posts to know it aint their bag, and so park and polish it is + a brief race on the way home at 120 in a straight line :)

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

To play devil's advocate, is "playing at being racing drivers" and tarting your 'shopping hatchback' up as a track car, any more valid than customising your car, as a hobby? It is if you do it, but that's because we're track car geeks, not show car geeks.

Where's my trainspotting notebook and stamp collection? :lol:

15. altern8 Forum Junkie

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

but id think youre a track car geek because you personally want to make your car more fun/quicker etc. thats a world away from dumping money into your car changing this and that just because everyone else does it.

im not totally closed minded. i can appreciate some of the shiney stuff. remember that guy with the mk3 with porsche 993 lights grafted onto the front etc. looked the nuts and i respected it because it was different. think about Riley's rados, remember his red one with the MINI wheels. they looked great. i have no respect at all for the clones or having to carry out XYZ mods just because its what everyone else does.

im here for the GTI in ClubGTI, my cars have the sticker because theyre gti (well, the mk4 is a cruiser that is quite fast in a straight line..) but it could be so much worse

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Oh, and just before Danster states the obvious....

8 valve engines = sooo last year :lol:

18. danster Forum Addict

I have more regard for Ford and Peugeot (for example) car owners that modify their cars for performance and track use, than that whole VW scene thing.
    To me that whole show, stupid low, stretch tyre and camber crud has absolutely nothing to do with my interest in vehicles. For me it is just unfortunate the scene is generally associated with the same make of cars that I like.

Saying our track cars are clones is not the case. The mods like a cage are safety features that we all fit to preserve life rather than for looks.
    I struggle to think of any two track cars that are the same with regard to modifications.

19. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Surely the people who get into VW's for the 'scene' rather than for the love of the car and the ones who differentiate from the enthusiasts. I guess it's open to debate which group is in the minority though..

I agree with a lot of the scene bashing comments on this thread and the PH one, however, like the majority on here, I choose to ignore them. I like my Golf because it's great to drive. I enjoy chatting to like minded people. It's personal opinion.

The 'scenesters' will most likely move on as quickly as they arrived IMO, get bored and move onto something else. Think about how long people actually keep a show car for - it's built, hoared and then sold on when the hype dies. Track cars or enthusiasts cars will most likely be worked, improved and fettled for years.

Stay away from ED38 and live on here. Sorted :lol:

20. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

i think all vw enthusiasts are sickened by whats happened over the last twenty years. the understated nature of the brand seems to make folk want to sh*t all over the cars we love

im not against trying to make your car look cool.. but when people start lowering door handles you know somethings gone wrong. somewhere down the line vws stopped being cars and turned into fashion accessories.. and every attention seeking, braindead gurning moron around decided they needed a vw. parading their cars round the show scene they were gucci f*cking manbags. and for every one gets featured in the mags there another 100odd lost souls try to recreate it in the desperate hope they might get scene

this is a very vw disease. check the front covers of all the other mags and is mostly track day weapons, toned down and suped up, cars that look nothing and go like like stink. which is rather ironic given that vws are built that way to start with [:^(]