ABF & ITB's & Emerald into mk1. wiring tacho,coil pack,fuel pumps

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by DGT, Nov 15, 2010.

1. DGT

DGT Forum Member

Ive fitted an in tank lift pump and a main Bosch pump to my golf clipper as im fuelling Throttle bodies. The car used to only have a mechanical pump as it was carb'ed.

Does anyone have any ideas where is best to run feeds from for these 2 pumps? Fusebox? Ive never messed around with fuseboxes before so any specifics would be really appreciated..

cheers

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

best to get a k-jet fuel pump relay, then itm will cut out safely if you have a crash, what fusebox is it, early ceramic or late blade? (see fusebox faq)

3. DGT

DGT Forum Member

thanks for reply.

its a 1992 clipper with blade fuses

will i run the lift pump from the same relayed supply?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  4. rubjonny

yeah run em both from same relay. you have 2 choices here, either get a vag spare relay holder and fit it above the fusebox, or use factory relay slot and add the 1 pin for the fuel pumps to the E plug.

for option 1 you need to add ign live, live, rev counter feed and earth feeds to a relay holder, then pop a factory vag k-jet relay to it.

for option 2 you need to find a donor loom and chop out a large round pin, this you then pop into plug E and join your pumps live wire to it. earth to claw above fusebox, then pop in vag k-jet relay, job done.

5. DGT

DGT Forum Member

sorry, bit thick with electrics, is the E plug the plug coming from the pumps ?

i think i may have more luck with option 1, where is the best place to take the ign live, live and rev counter feed from?

thanks

6. rubjonny

E plug on the back of the fusebox, see my fusebox faq for more info, you're looking at pre-90 mk2 section 'CE1'

if go for option 2, ign live and permanent live is easy as there are a fair few spades round the back. coil live more tricky, this comes from the coil -ve, red/black wire.

I might have the pin you need kicking about in my various wiring loom offcuts boxes? then all you would need to do is unplug E then pop the pin in.

7. DGT

DGT Forum Member

option 2 it is.
    ill read up on the FAQ's tonight, and get back to you
    brilliant, thanks
    :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  8. DGT

DGT Forum Member

i spotted the E plug (18 pin Rear wiring harness)?

so i stick the pumps' +ve connections into a new round pin connected to one of the 2 larger outs on the E plug.
    ^ not sure i follow?

is this the right relay? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-audi-fuel-relay-No-167-191906383C-/130453549665

thanks again

9. rubjonny

that relay is for cars with an ecu, you need this one from GSF:
    935VG0090 k-jet relay without limiter 23.20

if you check out this here piccy of the back:
    [​IMG]

you have 2 rows of spades labelled G and P. P are permanent live, G are ignition and other accessory live feeds. E is the rear wiring loom plug. so basically have 2 choices, rus 2 spades to rear of fusebox and splice to the coil -ve wire, or run 1 pin to rear of the fusebox :)

Actually, theres a 3rd option, see the spade labled 'N'? Thats also fuel pump live output, the only issue is it is not fused. If you run your pump wire there with an inline fuse all you'll have to do is pop the k-jet relay in the right slot and thats it! only trouble is spade N is larger than the average spade, but you can get them easily enough I think even halfords sells em the right size. Plenty of ways to do it, your call :)

10. DGT

DGT Forum Member

Dunno what id do without you mate:thumbup:[:*:]

11. DGT

DGT Forum Member

additional...

trying to save a bit of cash.
    the GSF relay you mentioned above?

is the this the OE part? as theres tonnes on ebay for cheap

[​IMG]

cheers

12. rubjonny

nope not the right one im afraid! the one you want is 321 906 059G I think. or just buy the gsf one ;)

what management are you running actually?

13. DGT

DGT Forum Member

OK. cheers :thumbup:

Emerald management

14. rubjonny

emerald probably has some kind of fuel pump relay trigger built in? if so you can use a cheaper mk2 digi/16v mk3 relay instead. still need a bit of wiring though, whereas the k-jet one will be pretty much plug n play

15. DGT

DGT Forum Member

ill find out if theres an inbuilt trigger. thanks

16. DGT

DGT Forum Member

reply from Emerald

so does his mean ill have to rig up a relay holder for the digi/abf relay?

17. rubjonny

2 options, either rig up a relay holder as you say, or add a wire from ecu pin 20 to fusebox pin D/13. the good news is since the car was a carby there is a wire there, its a purple/black for the carb thermal switches :)

chop the wire and splice in, remove the carb heater relay from slot 2 and fit a 67, 80 or 167 MK2 digi/16v or any mk3 petrol fuel pump relay [:D]

18. DGT

DGT Forum Member

i just pulled the carb loom the other day, but it should plug back in as i didnt chop anything.

thanks a million, again..ill let you know how i get on [:D]

19. rubjonny

cool, another thing is if you have fitted another engine loom, you can use a sharp knife to chop out one of the pins from your old loom, then solder this to your emerald trigger wire and pop it into the D plug. helpfully the pins are all numbered on the front of the plug

20. DGT

DGT Forum Member

ive left the loom as is, except for removing the old TC-I box. ready for the Emerald loom ive just finished