to map out the EGR valve or not?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by M7R, Nov 24, 2010.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

The new ride is looking at being remapped by christmas, my only concern is that the egr is mapped out, so the ecu is no longer looking to turn it on.

I have ready many conflicting things on the net, some say all the egr does is help reduce combustion temps, and there for reduce NOx emissions, where as otheres say an added benefit is improved econonmy and reduced combustion temps which help with knock and excessive heat build up...

so can anyone give any consice answer as to the pros and cons? or show me where to look? as part of me thinks it will be a good idea, where as the other thinks it could lead to problems later on with burnt valves etc

edit - vw say its only for NOx http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/glossary/exhaust-gas-recirculation-

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. aidanb22 Forum Member

Whats the car? A properly working one will not lose you any power

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

mk4 golf 130bhp 1.9 PD I know a proper working one wont cost me anything esp if I remove the oil from the breather system, but its the fact that the map I am loooking at has it removed.

4. m1keh Forum Member

A good mapper will be able to put the EGR map back in within about 2 minutes. They will literally open their saved file with your map and alter the values back to standard. I would rather keep egr as it helps the engine warm up faster when it's cold. Hence reducing wear etc.

5. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

but EGR should not run when the engine is cold as it can cause miss firing, it also should not run at idle.

I will speak to my mapper any way amd ask him about having the egr back in, but it wont be as easy as you say as with the egr working the flame front is slower so the timing needs to be advanced, if you just put back in the egr and leave the injection timings alone then it will be wrong

6. m1keh Forum Member

Doesn't work at idle no, but works in part throttle conditions which you use when warming up. I didn't know that it didnt work until the engine warmed up, will have a look into this as I have not seen any kind of map which limits egr upon engine temp.

Which mapper are you going to use?

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Motech who did my A4, brill map and the added bonus that the ecu does not know its been flashed...

map basically cuts in at 50% throttle and 50% engine load, so part throttle should be oe map for good economy

8. m1keh Forum Member

How does it not now it's been flashed? Or do you mean it just doesn't read any differently with vag-com. If it didnt know it had been flashed surely it wouldn't have been flashed at all?

Most mapped files I have looked at are not changed from factory standard values until upwards of 50% throttle or load either. Most not till 75% throttle.

Along those lines if it is the OE map at part throttle for good economy they won't have changed the timing values so that it runs better with the EGR closed and you might be better with the EGR open.

9. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I will speak to Mike more about this when I return from a work trip to germany.

and with some remaps the ecu knows when its been flashed and counts up, but with others theamount of data changed is not enough for the ecu to see a change and therefore it does not count it as a flash.

10. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I know Vauxhall remove their EGRs at the 80k service and delete the file from the ECU to prevent an EML.

All with no adverse effects to performance/economy. They know they it`s a weak system that causes more trouble than it`s worth, and that it`s only really used to pull down the emissions figures to keep the Eco-weenies happy.

Get rid, clean your inlet manifold out, and be happy! :lol:

11. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

from experience I'd say yes, I'd like to know if he alters other maps to compensate.

also before the map, take off the inlet to give it a good clean, you'll be surprised on how much nasty stuff in there!
    I have run my 130 with a DIY EGR blocking plate for 12 months without out any noticeable effects, bit nipper from cold - possibly higher fuel consumption

as far as I've always been told is the EGR is just there for emissions , as is the cat

12. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

i took the inlet and egr off my old 115, it was quickish before but after 170k it was quite amazing the extra bhp I found when the inlet was opened up from a 1" hole to the full size due to how clogged the EGR was!!

I have asked Mike for some more info, hopefully he will confirm that the map is done with the egr off, ie the injection timiming altered to take account that is isnt running, and if that is the case Ill have the map put on and fingers crossed all will be well and Mike says I should see a gain on MPG too which would be nice. (I will be running the car stock for a few weeks to get a base level before mapping.)

egr is mainly to reduce the NOx but it could help with econommy a little on part throttle cruse.. but its mainly there to keep the likes of me happy when witnissing an emissions and fuel consumption approval tests.

13. jenk Forum Member

On my Ibiza (PD130) I have the vac pipe unplugged from the EGR and blocked up with a bolt to disable it, but during winter I plug it back in as the engine warms up much quicker. Not only can it be better for the engine, its warmer for me too.

14. DAZTDGTI Forum Member

Hi there I removed my egr and put a race pipe on. and I had no problem with the engine light coming on as some people said it would.
    I have also had a remap and the guy that did the map tried first a map with the EGR map out and then tried the map with the egr still in and there was no different on the rolling road

So I left it as that and had no fault with the vehicle at all

As for what the EGR dose it reduce combustion temps, and there for reduce NOx that comes out the exhaust . but the problem with reduceing the combustion temp it cause shoot build up and that's the main problem why PDF block up.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  15. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

it wont always chuck the light on, but unless the fueling timing is adjusted to copensate for the faster burn you will get a slight knocking... mine been mapped out properly now and becasue mines a latter car the egr will just be left in place along with all the gubbins as the losses will be small over a straight pipe thats not cheap