polo distributor spinning help

Discussion in 'Engines' started by jay simpson, Nov 30, 2010.

1. jay simpson New Member

hi all im new to forum and need some help my 1998 polo 1.4 8v has a problem i took off the dizzy cap to check rotor arm and found that it just spins when i put my finger on it the car wont start either its as if something has snapped i know the rotor arm should turn with the engine but it dont can any one help me with this please

2. danster Forum Addict

The rotor arm should have a key in it's hole that locks it on the end of the dizzy shaft. Is it just the rotor arm that turns, or is it the dizzy shaft too?

3. jay simpson New Member

yes thanks its the whole shaft turning

4. danster Forum Addict

I have seen very worn dizzys on the small engines in Polos before. Yours is a little newer than the 6N ones I saw the problem on.
    It may have broken the plastic drive peg on the bottom of the dizzy shaft that engages in the end of the camshaft.
    It may be worth marking the dizzy body to the head (so you can put it back on in the same places), then remove the dizzy to see what you find. If you could take a pic that would be very useful. :thumbup:

5. jay simpson New Member

yes sounds like something has broke like you say because its not getting driven if i remove it can it be repaired or do i need a replacement is it hard to remove i wont get lots of things falling out will i thanks