Rod change / 020 diff bolts on eBay - someone selling wrong bolts!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by A.N. Other, Dec 12, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just a heads up.

There's a seller on eBay who's been selling 020 diff bolts which turn out to be the wrong size. vw_singh had this the other week.

The have an '02K' marking on the packet (buyer assumes all OK, since 02K is a descendant of the 020).

However, the dimensions are different and the spline is too large to bang through the 020 crownwheel - 10mm vs 9.3/9.5mm = no go. Spline also too long extends beyond, would need to be banged into the diff (heat treated = impossible).

Dimensions here, that's all I have, but at least you can check. Scuse my scrawl!

Wrong bolts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right bolts:

(relative portions not to scale!)

[​IMG]

Any other experiences, please add!

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Here are the pictures of the right bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gurds

3. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Bought these too the other day. Turns out the later 020/k style diffs have a larger dia. hole for the diff and crown wheel. The other seller who sells these states they are for the later diff, this seller doesn't.

What I've done in the past is re-drill the diff to suit the spline, then turn the splines down to suit the crownwheel. Works fine then, but not everyone is going to be able to do that at home.
    Yes they are cheap, but not worth the hassle if you need 020 stuff.

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Plus, the VW stuff is usually marked up Verbus, the ebay stuff has no name on the heads, nor grade.

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Ahhh thats where it probably went pear shaped. The local box builder did also ask if I needed large or small splined bolts. Thanks Mart :thumbup:

Gurds

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Does anyone have an accurate ID of the 020 crownwheel bolt holes? Just trying to suss the level of interference fit.

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I have a few I can take measurments from if you can wait till I get home. :thumbup:

But I am pretty sure 9.5mm sounds right with giving an interference fit of 0.3mm max with the correct bolts.

Gurds

8. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member