mk2 full rebuild - with K04

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jimk04, Jan 2, 2011.

1. jimk04 Forum Member

I thought I would share with you the build of my mk2.

This actually started in summer 2008, and took just over a year, so has been on the road for a little about 18 months now.

It hasnt been anywhere much apart from Edition38 in 09 so I doubt many of you will have seen it.

Will take me a while to post it all up but here goes!

So after scouring ebay, pistons, e38, autotrader et al for weeks, I bought this;

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG]

[/img][​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wasnt perfect but the bits that mattered were fine.

As I ended up fitting a BAM 20v to my last mk2 some years back, I didnt think I could live without plenty of poke. So I bought one of these....well I actually had bought the engine before I had found a car!

[/img][​IMG]

The whole project apart from the paint took place on my drive! Not much fun at times!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. jimk04 Forum Member

SO this was the first job!

[​IMG]

[/img][​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jimk04 Forum Member

Small update; been scraping underseal off inner wings, which is nice :?
    But also tarted up the 20v. Coated the ally bits and generally cleaned **** up. Was going to use stainless fasteners but decided i couldnt be arsed, especially as most down front of the engine you cant see anyway.

[​IMG]

This next shot shows where the rear engine mount wants to go, but the turbo return pipe is in the way, so this will need re-routing.
    [/img][​IMG]

and quick one of spammed up inlet.
    [​IMG][/img].

All good [:D]

4. jimk04 Forum Member

New shiny bits

[​IMG]

[/img][​IMG]

7J and 8J off ebay for good money and they are mint. I am a wee bit 'scene' I am afraid so I wasnt sure it the rears would want wider adaptors at this stage, they came with 20mm.

5. jimk04 Forum Member

So the engine pretty ready at this stage, all 'rebuilt' externally with new fasteners/tensioners, gaskets etc.

[/img][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/img][​IMG]

I also been tidied up the engine bay, and have decided to strip the seam sealer off the inner wings, having previously deciding not to bother. Originally I was just having the bay painted but it seems the more I got into it the more I want to start re-routing the looms and stuff. Slippery slope I am sure a lot of you have been down!

[​IMG]

[/img][​IMG]

6. jimk04 Forum Member

So off to the painters the shell went. This took a lot longer than I hoped and set it back a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shells a beaut, no bad rust :)

7. jimk04 Forum Member

Yeah boy its primed! [:D]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jimk04 Forum Member

Nice new coat of Bright BLue Metallic!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jimk04 Forum Member

So at this point we are at January 2009. Having bought the car in August 2008.

Now the fun commences in rebuilding the thing, but little did I know at this point that I would really take this car to pieces and do a full on resto almost!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It just fits thru the gates![​IMG]

8" D90s on with 45mm adaptors, thought might have to machine em down but i may get away with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. jimk04 Forum Member

A few progress shots for your delectation.

Anyone good with wires!
    [​IMG]

Back from the blasters, bit rough a finish tho :( [​IMG]

Rack tarted up![​IMG]

My dodgy wire re-routing, and the new loom tape.[​IMG]

Getting it built up.[​IMG]

wheels and bodykit on.[​IMG]

11. jimk04 Forum Member

Engine went in after a couple of weekends of frustrating setbacks; wrong flywheel bolts first time round, then couldnt get gearbox on. Silly mistake on my behalf( release arm on upside down :oops: )! but it all went in nicely eventually!

Few pics to keep your interest up!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You may see a bit of red lurking behind the wheels; that would be these.[​IMG]

Got them from the Porker place I worked at a few years back, were black so I painted them and used the stickers I've had for about the last 9 years!
    I fitted them with these[​IMG]
    Audi RS2 caliper carriers. Got hold of one and got a local company to cast some up for me, then had a machins shop drill and tap them. Came to 26quid the pair!

Few more of it cleaned and polished.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This whole project is ran away with me if you know what I mean; from being a quick engine job its turned out to be a complete resto job. Whole thing will have been nut and bolted.
    I had a mk3 vr rear beam kicking about for what i worked out to be 15 years! So had that fitted with new bushes and shot blasted. Wider track tho so my nice 45mm adaptors needed machining down!
    Engine all wired, just sorting all the lights/indics/fogs/starting/charging circuits out now. All nice and factory....(I hope)!

12. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Great project you have there mate :thumbup: Looks great being painted up, something i want to do to my MK2 in the future.

Ive always liked that colour on a MK2. [:D]

btw, whats up with the back box?

13. jimk04 Forum Member

So i had all the back end in bits, tank cleaned and painted, straps, axle, pump bracket, arb blasted and painted. Painted up the heatshields. All new stainless bolts everywhere.
    [​IMG]

Now you can see the OCD in me coming out, new brake lines and fuel lines, made me sen! :) [​IMG]

Calipers all nice to match the fronts[​IMG]

More fuelly stuff; all new banjos etc. Yawn
    [​IMG]

And a few bay pics. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After sorting the stance with 45mm adaptors, I then fitted a mk3 wide axle, so that went to pot! Had them machined down so now on mk3 wide track, 8J D90s and 30mm adaptors.

Quite chuffed with the fuel lines, bought a load of plastic tube and rubber hose, and made them to length. Bended them with the old heat gun where needed then got a company to crimp them together.

14. Admin Guest

nice build, love the colour of that mk2.

where did you get the banjos from?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2011
  15. jimk04 Forum Member

Nearly there now! I had a 'noise' when I first got if fired which turned out to be a knacked alternator, so that was rebuilt.

I had an initial starting issue with fuel pump relay that had me head scratching for a while!

[​IMG]

16. jimk04 Forum Member

Intercooler and airbox took a bit of playing about with as I wanted the engine to look as factory as possible. I went all polished and blue silicone on my last one[:[]

17. jimk04 Forum Member

As it was to be my only car (unfortunately) I wanted it to be a nice place to be, so I sound deadened and insulated it as much as I could. Not expensive stuff mind.

Made getting carpets and door cards back on tricky tho!

I also did a stealthy hi-fi install as I like some quality music.!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front speakers now sonically sealed within the door so bass is much better, and as not mounted on the door card, rattles less too.

[​IMG]

Re carpeted over new insulation

[​IMG]

Start of sub enclosure in rear quarter

[​IMG]

All sealed up

[​IMG]

Amp went in other quarter.

18. jimk04 Forum Member

Here it is...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And so the story goes...!!!

Last word is that I am going to take it to bits in the next few weeks, you may have seen in the transmission section that I have an 02S 6 speed box for it so that is my ongoing project at the moment. Along with fitting some conrods to prepare for more poke at some point!

And a parting shot!

[​IMG]

She aint no trailer queen!

19. jimk04 Forum Member

@ Richard, no engine mate so exhaust just hanging! That system went and now a single exit Jetex Rallye system.

@jon - banjos from a local hose supplies. Hose Direct in Harworth, S.Yorks

20. Admin Guest

cheers will have to take my pipes and filter into my local place then, no longer available from vw.. at least for the mk1.

tidy install,engines always seem neater in a mk2 than a mk1, or have you spent the time really hiding the wiring?