A1 Chassis Confirmation - Rear Disc Conversion on Scirocco

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Hilux, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Hilux Forum Member

Mk 2 calipers on a Mk 1 - what handbrake cables to use?

Hi all,

Its a Mk1 with Mk2 rear discs/calipers.

I have refurbished the calipers and they work however one of the handbrake cables is now sticking so much it is overcoming the return spring.

Which handbrake cables should I get?

Thanks.

2. Funky Diver Forum Member

A1 Chassis Confirmation - Rear Disc Compatibility

Howdy, right... just really looking for some confirmation on what I've read so far so that I'm not hijacking someone elses thread.

The plan is to go from Standard rear drum brakes on a Scirocco to Discs - yes folks, it's one of those mods I'm more doing for looks than performance (well, partly... I hate drum brakes with a vengeance, all boils back to my early days of motor modding and minis!)

So... I've read this front to back, and seems like the best solution to go for, but wanted to basically get confirmation.

I have a standard rear beam now with an ARB ready to go on (forget which one, but it is compatible with my beam!)

I'm guessing it's mostly exactly as described in the thread (it's a good thread) and the other thread I read (which I can't for the life of me find right now.

My confusion lies in the following.

* Handbrake cables - which ones do I need? I seem to recall that Scirocco GTi ones are the only ones? (Gonna buy new if they're available)
    * Brake Compensator - how does that fit in and which one would I need?
    Flexi-hoses. I was looking at these. Are they the right ones to get?
    * Obviously I get discs matched to the calipers, however, long term availability, and for ease of fitting, I guess I'm better going for Mk2/Mk3/Polo setup as opposed to Mk4?
    * I'll be putting new pads on front and rear - I currently have G60 280mm up front, recommendations for a GOOD pad. Not necessarily the best for racing - it's a street motor - I need something that is going to be great all round without being silly with the wallet.

Anything else I've missed?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Mk2 Golf GTI handbrake cables (the OEM purists get Scirocco LHD GTX 16v cables, but Mk2 went straight on when I did this). Plus I think the early caliper cables may differ anyway, academic

Those flexis look right for the Mk4 calipers

Discs are matched to the stub axle design, not the calipers. The disc widths/dias are all the same.

You aren't using Mk4 discs, just the calipers. You need Mk2/3 carriers for the calipers. The Mk4 carriers are no good.

All Mk1 Golf / Scirocco 1 & 2 axles are the same.

Brake compensator is the one on the car already (assume fitted). Again the OEM purists go for the Scirocco LHD GTX 16v compensator, which doubtless is expensive or no longer avail - check. Part no is here somewhere. Basically you have to adjust the OEM one as far as possible.

Standard pads on the rear, anything. They don't do much, so motor factor finest.

HTH!

4. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

believe you need scirroco 16v cables,,,as it uses the mk1 floorpan?,:-)

5. danster Forum Addict

0800 danster :lol:

Looks like my shed is going to be substantially larger when this shipment goes out.
    Downside is there will be less space in my wallet for all those moths as Funky's hard earned ends up in there instead. [:$]

I will start the list. :thumbup:

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

*You want rocco 16v cables, available from GSF
    *I used brake line reduces and it works a treat if you get the right ones
    *You can use mk4 calipers with mk2 carriers and conversion hoses or just mk2/mk3 items.
    *Iv never worried to much about rear pads, ate, pagid something like that

edit: I got beaten to it

7. Funky Diver Forum Member

Awesome, cheers Chris and gang... I'm certainly not a purist, crikey... I have a Chevvy Orange engine so that should give you some indication, lol!!

Danny, best get a start on that shed fella!!!

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've had Mk2 Golf ones on ok

9. Hilux Forum Member

Hi Chris

Thats interesting, thanks.

Could you help a bit more please...............

GSF quote two cable types - whats the difference? Were there caliper changes mid 1988?

Mk 2

731VG0240 HANDBRAKE CABLE G2 Rear Disc Brakes 8/83 >7/88 11.50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

731VG0250 HANDBRAKE CABLE G2 Rear Disc Brakes 8/88 >7/92 11.50

10. Admin Guest

Basically the earlier handbrake cables were longer up to the changeover in '87.

Not sure sure what you would need though but Chris I'm sure will know :thumbup:

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

scirocco cables are what you want, i looked into this on my cabby and the mk2 cables are either too short or way too long. i know this because it had scirocco cables but they were slightly too short due to it having mk3 calipers fitted. put my old mk2 cable along side and it was even shorter, the early mk2 cables are waaaay longer so wouldn't work either. in the end i chopped 5mm or so off the under car cable tubes and that sorted it :thumbup:

if you use pre-87 mk2 calipers or fit later mk2/3 calipers upside down then the scirocco 16v cables should fit straight on

gsf do em:
    731VG0210 - HANDBRAKE CABLE SC (With Rear Disc Brakes) 10/85 > - 11.25

12. rubjonny

1. scirocco 16v cables work, but it depends how you mount the calipers! if you mount later ones the right way up mk2 cables deffo wont fit, see my post here

2. couple options, later cabby/scirocco pressure reducers may do the trick which your car might have already. mk1 gti beam mounted compensator, or do what I did and make a bracket which allows you to fit a MK2 bias valve under the car

3. discs you want MK2 GTI as they're 4 stud. MK2/3/4 calipers all fit, late MK3 are the best to use as they go straight on and can be used with MK2 flexi lines. MK4 require the use of adaptor flexi lines, and arnt actually any better than MK2/3 in terms of braking performance, although handbrake is apparently stronger on mk4. not that you need it on a light car like a scirocco though. basically depends what you can get for the best price, mk4 if you get dirt cheap could be worthwhile, just as above factor in cost of the adaptors. carriers use MK2/3, whatever you can get in good nick.

4. bog std for the rear, anything will do as the rears will do feck all braking on a light car like this

13. Funky Diver Forum Member

Sweet, thanks for the clarification John!!

TBH, I'm not sure which compensator I have on mine as I have yet to get the rear beam off!!

I am hoping to pick up a semi-decent spare so that I can get it all squeaky sorted and ready to go back on.

14. rubjonny

ive been told no scirocco ever had the under-car compensator, so id be pretty sure you just have the inline valves :)
    someone on here had a mk1 with just the valves nicked off a cabby, i forget who. i do have a smpare mk2 bias adaptor bracket if you want it, just need the mk1 spring and the bracket arm which is bolted to the beam. tbh i would try it with the oem reducers and only mess with it if they're not man enough :thumbup:

15. danster Forum Addict

Looks like we need to get a table put together with what will work!!

I just fitted the early longer mk2 Golf cables straight on to my Rocco rear disc conversion. They just fitted straight on and sit mid adjustment at the handbrake lever. [:s]

There are different styles of calipers (36 and 38mm piston sizes), with top and bottom handbrake cable mounting and of course the Mk3 style lever too.

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'll dig out the 16v GTX part no!

Really strange on these h/brake cables. I took them off a Mk2 personally, and have used them in a Mk1 install on later Mk2 callipers and then Mk4 [:s]

17. danster Forum Addict

18. Funky Diver Forum Member

Thread merge... THREAD MERGE!!

Sounds like a good idea, [:D]

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I was going to check my old Mk2 later style ones the other day.

Mk4 are 40mm OD at the end, but the casings are cast with "41" in them. This is buried in the forum, bit & piece like, in previous convos but this is why Mk4 calipers grab harder and are pre-disposed to rear brake lock ups!

Back in 2001, I bought the Mk4 calipers because they were shiny

[​IMG]

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

You demanding lot! Done!