2.0 8v running K-jet

Discussion in '8-valve' started by dan_gti2004, Mar 6, 2011.

1. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

Hi guys and gals. I have in stock a 2.0 AGG bottom end and will soon be installing it into my 85 GTI. I will be using the K-jet injection setup etc... Has anyone on here done the same conversion using k-jet? I just wanted to know how the car feels to drive? Is there a noticeable improvement? I have been told its better compared to the PB as with K-jet its easier to tweek fueling etc..

2. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I did a 2E conversion on k-jet last summer & although I can't comment on how it compares to PB I can say that that there are definate improvements in response and the car feels much quicker at lower revs. I was surprised to get a slight improvement in MPG too, I assume this is due not needing to rev the engine so much thanks to the improved low down torque.

On the downside however my times at the CGTI Curborough trackday were only 0.01secs quicker with 2 litre engine so don't expect to get a tarmac melting track car.

3. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

Ok nice one thanks. It seems like a simple enough conversion so will probably do it very soon. I have also been told using the 16v WUR can give better performance. Did you make any changes to the fueling to compensate for the extra cc?

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

The 16v WUR is easier to adjust, and more suited to a higher performance engine. It's debateable whether you'd need it on a standard 2.0 8v, but when you start adding cams and so on, it's a good idea.

5. sjm66 Forum Member

I've done a 2ltr/kjet conversion and was a bit disappointed with the performance over a standard 1800 kjet. I played around with various things and found that the fuel control pressure was way out which once sorted put things right. This is easy to adjust if you are running a 16v WUR.....info here...

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=27550

and I guess if you search this forum there'll be a good ammount of info here too.

Steve

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

There's more than one way to increase the fuelling though... if you up the system pressure by shimming the metering head, that will have a similar effect to adjusting the WUR.

7. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

Thanks guys :thumbup:

8. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

Hi Mike. What do you mean by shimming the metering head? I have also herd about mods to the wur can add horses to the stables? Not sure what these mods are or how to do them?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  9. alexisblades99 Forum Member

Don't forget to pay some attention to the ignition timing too. Changing from a 1.8l to 2.0l block will alter your engine's breathing characteristics (volumetric efficiency) and therefore your spark advance requirements.

10. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Yes, I made the mistake of running at the standard EV engine 6degrees btdc & it ran like crap, I'm running at around 8-10 degrees btdc now.

As for fuelling I just fiddled with mixture & WUR settings until it "felt right" (not very technical I know) but MikeH very kindly checked it with his broadband sensor thingy at Curby & I had it about right.