my big fat more door mk3 track car mallory park video added

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by marmite monster, Mar 30, 2011.

1. marmite monster Forum Member

ok so a load of my mates booked on at cadwell a few months back so with 5 days to find a car a join in on the fun i landed on this 4 door vr6 just been moted loads of history the deal was done i had a car. the day before the track day i put some red stuff pads on the front and borrowed a k and n filter off my mate paul.
    this is what it looked like when i picked it up
    [​IMG]
    gave it a quick blast over with the mop and some polish.came up mint no dents no rust result!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    so made it to the track had an awesome time. surprised a few other cars on the day with the 2.8 power house lol check out this HD video we made chasing down a dirty evo.

[video]eZ2EdK12h7E[/video]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so after the track day didnt really know what to do with the car,after all it is a 4 door mk3 the lowest of the low scum of the vw world lol. thought id bang it on jodys rollers at midland vw see what sort of power the engine was making. here are the results>
    [​IMG]
    was quite happy with that! was thinking right lets find a good mk2 shell and make a nice track car. after i weighed it all up i decided i was up for a challenge so the decision was made to go with the mk3 platform (prob going to regret that lol)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. marmite monster Forum Member

so first thing i did was get some coilovers get it riding a bit lower and stiffen up the handling.
    [​IMG]
    had some bbs rx lying around so put them on for a bit as the tyres on the other wheels were like racing slicks. cant believe how heavy the rx2 wheels are they weigh 1 tonne each. wont be using them for the track.
    this is how it sat on them.
    [​IMG]
    not long after this i had a mad few hours ripping about a million kg out of the car.
    this was the result.
    [​IMG]
    soooo much weight has come out of the car the back springs went up 2.5" thats like 3 people getting out the back seat!

next on the list was to have a cage fitted. just had the back half done for now until i decide if im loosing the dash .was well chuft with it, had it done at SEVS the are big in the ford world top blokes and did it in a day!
    [​IMG]
    after the cage was done i started taking all the sound proofing out of the car this was so much fun burnt my self about 10 times with the heat gun! bonus!
    [​IMG]
    getting there

[​IMG]

started on the front!

[​IMG]

and thats about as far as i have got so far my oil cooler arrived today went for a 16 row in the end just to be sure as my oil temps at cadwell were in the 120,s :(

[​IMG]

next on the list is fit the seats get the rest of the sound proofing out sort out some wheels and tyres and a bout a million other things....oh and my hole saw will be here soon!!

3. marmite monster Forum Member

won a induction kit on ebay 10.25 brand new in the box thought it was worth a picture
    [​IMG]

4. marmite monster Forum Member

this is how the rx2 sit in the rear ..not the best!... et 44 6.5j not really working lol!

[​IMG]

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Quite a transformation! :clap:

A mate of mine bought a VR Mk3 for a ridiculously low sum, and planned to use it`s oily bits in the Mk2 shell he was preparing.

Turned out too nice to bin, so it`s being kept! :lol:

6. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Thats a good write up, well done, love it!!!

7. paultownsend Forum Member

may i ask how much for the half cage?

8. marmite monster Forum Member

got it done for 270 bargain !!

9. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

Where mate details please :)?

[:o)]

10. paultownsend Forum Member

im on the phone!

11. Willber Forum Member

Great project! VR sounded lovely in the video too.

12. marmite monster Forum Member

sounds a lot better now has a decat and straight through exhaust boom!

right made some progress today got some seats of my mate gaz cheers for that dude
    a pair of new cobra monaco s seats . car is starting to look more of a track slut now!
    [​IMG]
    then went round my mate sams to do a bit more sound proofing removal, done the passenger side now
    just got the drivers footwell to do. collected it all in a box so will weigh it when im done should be about 10kg ish
    [​IMG]
    while i was busy with my hot sticky tar sam was busy in the background doing stuff one minuet the car had a dash in the next minuet .......well ill let the pics do the talking !
    [​IMG]
    oh dear!! well it was worth it as we put all the dash fixings and heater matrix box blower the lot onto the scales and it came out at 21 kg. so quite a big chunk of mass gone !
    [​IMG]
    thats all for today got a long weekend full of cutting drilling and welding. seats need mounting ,oil cooler needs putting on. busy busy

si. :)

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mk3 coolness!

14. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Liked the vid, seemed to handle quite well round a track, although you got your ar*e handed to you by what looked like either a pug106/saxo or corsa, they all look the same, couldnt really tell which! [:D]

Do you know how much weight you've saved in total from stripping it out? Its something I'd love to do to my 16v sometime in the future!

15. marmite monster Forum Member

the car was standard on that track day having only owned it for a week, non of the tyres matched and the exhaust came off its mounts! the car that passed me and the evo was a saxo fully track ready with a 220 bhp engine on throttle bodies slicks ect so was to be expected really.

target weight is 900kg!! will weigh it when ive finished stripping and cutting still lots to do glass needs to come out amongst other thingd . duno if 900kg is realistic or not with that whale under the bonnet but im giving it a go.

16. 12valver Forum Member

So this was what the questions were about :)

Looks like you got a good base and you have some nice plans :thumbup:

Your mate Sam helped make a decision about the front cage then ;)

900kgs is a big ask, will be interested to see how you get on though.

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

My ankor was 1285kg inc A/C and a half tank.

18. marmite monster Forum Member

think mine would prob be around the 1250kg mark as its a early one. no AC no airbags, no seat belt pre tensioners. we have noticed quite alot of changers between mine and sams car his being a highline and that. there is a weigh bridge round the corner from my work so ill put it on that to get a rough estimate. whats the best way to weigh a car? i take it 4 bathroom scales wont cut it lol :)

19. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

That is what I did with mine and that estimate would sound about right.

20. marmite monster Forum Member

done some more cutting and stuff today. prob got another 20-25 kg out of both front doors,left in the impact bars till i get the rest of the cage welded in. still not ordered the poly windows yet job for next week.
    [​IMG]
    the results
    [​IMG]
    had a quick look see where this mocal oil cooler is supposed to sit. anybody fitted one of these to a vr6 before? think the front panel needs cutting but it should sit nice behind the grill more out the way from the odd stone chip there also.

[​IMG]took the rear bumper off to see if there was a big bumper bar but there was nothing ! my dog marlie was overseeing things in the boot. :)

[​IMG]

thats about it for today, tried to fit the bucket seats but im going to just get the cobra subframes as its sooo much less stress!