Bloody animals! Help!

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by stella, Apr 20, 2011.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

A few weeks ago, I had my son's Labrador in the back of my car and the next day I found he had chewed my dog's car harness.

Today, when I came to fasten my young niece in the back of my Bora, I noticed the bloody dog had also chewed the edges of the back offside seat belt! [:x]

My MoT is due in a couple of weeks and it's sure to fail on that, so I need another seatbelt ASAP.

I'm hoping to get one from a scrappy - is that a good idea, provided the donor car has not been in a crash?

Also, will any VW seat belt do, or does it have to be from a Bora? Or a Mk4 Golf?

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

According to ETKA the rear seatbelts are specific to the Bora.. I assume the mounting points are different to the Golf on account of the different rear end.

Don't see any problems with getting one from the scrappy aslong as there's no visible damage and the inertia reel still has some life left in it :thumbup:

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Someone may be able to confim but IIRC if you remove the seatbelt, it cannot be tested to then fail.

4. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

if there,s a seat fitted it has to have a seatbelt,(subject to year of vehicle)+will fail if webbing is damaged,;)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That isn't my understanding - from a convo with an MOT man last week.

However, it may depend on age of vehicle.

6. theboymike Forum Junkie

I suspect this only applies to vehicles made before rear seatbelts became mandatory..

7. f8rdy New Member

I had an old Isuzu Mu which is a Jap version of a frontera that had rare seatbelts and i couldnt get a replacement. I took the back seats out for MOT and there wasnt even a question.

No seat, no seatbelt needed :)

Not sure if that's because its possible to get that sort of a vehicle without back seats though. Worth a try if you struggle finding one (depending on how much work it is to get a bora seat out)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I think the cut off date for seat belts being compulsory where rear seats are fitted is approx 1986/1987.

9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

You could try leaving the car seat in. The last time I did that, there was an advisory on mine that said the seat belt couldn't be tested because a car seat was in place.

10. stella

stella Forum Junkie

The only car seat she uses is just the cushion thing now - she's 7.

Checked at VW today and a new seat belt - just the long bit - is 95 !!!!

So trip to the scrappy is on!

11. danster Forum Addict

Trip to the scrappy...............and one to a Taxidermist too. That should stop the problem arising again. ;)

If you take the rear seats out of a car there is no need for rear seat belts to be fitted. Have seen this done before with various folks cars with damage to rear seat belts caused by using the vehicles as mobile kennels for chewy dogs. A Subaru Forrester last week was the most recent example.

12. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    crack on and enjoy the read :)

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_510.htm

13. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

both Cars Pre 1981 and 1987 don't need rear seat belts if you read the flow chat ;)
    pre 1981 being ab&c pre 1987 being db&c
    b&c = none

http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/seatbelt2.pdfis flow chart for Passenger vehicles, Motor Caravans & Ambulances with up to eight passenger seats

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  14. f8rdy New Member

I think that's quite common, I dont think they're supposed to move a child seat if its strapped in. Probably for liability issues if they didnt put it back properly.

15. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

The NCT is a damn site clearer!

1. For vehicles registered on or after the 1st day of June 1971, check that a lap and diagonal type safety belt is provided for the
    driver and front outer passenger seat.
    2. For vehicles registered on or after the 1st day of January 1992, check that all outer forward facing seats are provided with a lap
    and diagonal type safety belt and all other forward facing seats are provided with a lap and diagonal or lap type safety belt.
    3. Pull each safety belt webbing against its anchorage and see that it is properly secured to the vehicle structure.
    4. Examine the condition of all safety belt webbing for cuts or obvious signs of deterioration. In the case of the retractable type
    safety belt ensure that the belt is fully extended during this examination.

So.

I can remove the rear belts from the EV and reduce weight even further!:thumbup::clap:NCT[:*:]

16. jamesa Forum Junkie

Split rear backrest I presume ... for MOT remove the offside backrest & seat base.