Discs warping....

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by samfish, Apr 29, 2011.

1. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Hi Hi,
    My mk1 is running G60 brakes/servo etc. DS3000 front pads.
    I was testing at Brands yesterday and ended up with distroted front discs (280 x 22).

I was using Standard Brembo ones, which have holes around the hub (ventilation and weight [:s]) - could this be a weakness? I'm guessing it doesn't help.
    Bought some more Pagid ones which are solid around the hub, hoping they don't distort either.

They are obviously getting hot, but nothing out of the ordinary for a race car - no smoke or strong smells. Everything is new and well maintained, no pad dragging. I am obviously working them hard though.

Anybody else have similar experience with this size disc on track? Just avoid Brembo's i suppose?

2. danster Forum Addict

Did you bed them in properly? It can be an awkward thing to do on a track car due to limited access to time and suitable driving conditions.
    If not it can create excessive heat leading to warping.

3. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Hi Danster.

Yeah, the brakes where mostly bedded-in on the road with trade plates. The first session was finishing bedding the brakes and scrubbing some wets, so they had a good start.

The mad this is, I never had any problems with discs using 239 diameter and DS3000's. Just alot of pad wear...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Steve r's been having similar with his 280s on Wilwoods. I may have similar going on with mine, yet to be got to the bottom of. Work in progress. Avoid Tarox, which appear to warp with little provocation, seen on a couple of cars.

5. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

I've not experienced any problems with mine with the same setup, i.e 280's, Wilwoods and DS3000's.
    I used the GSF cross drilled disks (GSF Part Num. 62359BF) and bedded them in on the road.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks Byron, good info. Any recollection of price for these?

7. asedwell Forum Member

Have you checked with a dial guage to see if they are actually warped ? I say that because it may be pad material build upon the disk depending on your bedding in procedure (i went through 3 sets of front discs at the Donington test/races a few weekends ago through improper bedding in!), see article here.....

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

Hope this helps
    Alistair

8. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

I last paid 81.52 inc VAT, purchased in May 2008, so have been used on the car for three years now! (Used at Curborough, Cadwell, Croft, Bedford etc)

Not sure how much they will cost now though.

9. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Hi,
    Yeah, had a gauge on them, and definitely warped. Changed to some Pagid ones (60 per pair) and they warped today after the first race. They lasted better than the Brembo's though, stronger around the hubs, more material.

I wouldn't say its the bedding procedure. Quite experienced with bedding brakes, and lucky to be able to do most of it on the road.

Its just them getting f'ing hot I reckon. Although the 239 ones got just as hot :lol:

Not getting an brake fade though. Consistent pedal :thumbup:

10. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Dont seem to list that one anymore.
    Picking a MK2 G60 you have the option of 2.

601VG0360
    GSF Brake Friction
    601VG0360 Brake Disc

Or

601VG0362
    GSF Brake Friction
    601VG0362 Brake Disc
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sports Disc

It says the first one is vented & the second one "BRAKE DISC-X DRILLED"
    Anyway, First is now 31,20 Each & second 58.20 Each +VAT.

Now, Where is the best place to get some DS3000's. And what you do use on the rear?:thumbup:

11. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I use 'Circuit Supplies' for Ferodo.
    Using 15 Pagid rear pads from Euro Car Parts :)
    the AP bias valve is biased as far to the front as possible - Luckily its perfect like that, so don't need to adjust it now.

12. mat-mk3

Do you have a PN for those disks? I cant find any 280's on ECP and wanted to make use of the 30% off thing at the moment

13. asedwell Forum Member

Yeah, i've moved to Pagids, heard they're better.

Great result today Sam by the way :thumbup:

14. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Hi Mat Mk3,
    I can get you the part number tomorrow. It had Seat written on the box though!

Thanks Asedwel :)l. First laps where such hard work, so intense. Great fun fighting back.
    I will be the first to admit I had an edge on the straights though[:D]

15. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Pagid discs: 280x22mm
    Pagid part number: 53950
    Euro Car parts number: 104 44 0348

Hope that helps. Mine have warped though.

I may get them machined flat again to see if they only warp once....

16. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

My discs are deciededly pringle-shaped after today!! Only 256mm tiny discs though.. Mind you, qually was my bedding in procedure Lol!

17. mat-mk3

Brilliant thanks, Found them on ECP but they are out of stock at the moment.
    Need to take the wheels off and see what i have to play with:thumbup:

18. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

More cooling air? I run cheapo G60's on my mk1 tarmac car and the pulsar. Not warped one. Worn a few out though. DS3000's again. Cooling air is important. Ours get extremely hot, smoke rises at time control after 5 stage miles in the pulsar. Wheel bearings ok?

19. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Hi Jon Olds,
    Yeah wheels bearings (and all most of brakes) all new.

How are your cooling the discs on your mk1? Ducts from the chin spoiler?
    The Pagid's didn't warp until half way through Race 1..... the 15 minute qualifying was fine.

They are used very hard as expected, but not seen any smoke yet. I have an infra red heat sensor, I should have used it!

Not sure if this ebay link will still work:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....15674&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1803wt_1139

have you seen these before? - VW brake cooling wings for the G60 calipers.... VW part. They wont scoop as much as a duct, but better than nothing.
    The clio 16v cup cars used to run with a similar (albeit larger) scoop on the back of the caliper.

20. samfish

samfish Forum Member

This is a simple piece I have seen before. My Dad had made a few and they worked well. Found this picture online though.

[​IMG]

It could collect air from a bit lower too, then drill a few holes in the chin spoiler. Cheap, and it should be effective.