Help me identify this unique car's VIN and history

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by JamDawg, Nov 29, 2011.

1. JamDawg New Member

The VIN number form this car is not your standard number. I was hoping someone could give me some information on this car.

[​IMG]

We assume it was pulled from the production line and sent to ABT tuning to be turned in to a track car or modified for advertisement purposes here in the states. It was fitted with ABT head, ABT manifold, spherical bearings, Bilstein coils and a Matter cage. Next it was shipped to the States. Where the car went after it came over, or what it did is unknown. I could only guess it raced in the Bilstein Cup or was used as a display at car shows.

The car sat after 85 until someone pulled it form a yard in 2005.

[​IMG]

Its pretty unique and we plan on doing a restoration on the car. It is a true EURO 84 MK2, where the MK2 was not sold in the States until 85 not to mention the unknown past

[​IMG]

2. danster Forum Addict

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Interesting car. Which aspect of the VIN number is not normal as you see it?

EV = normal early Mk2 8v engine code, and 9A is a common gearbox code.

4. pressuretested Forum Member

5. pressuretested Forum Member

Chris,

All the Z's in VIN is not normal for over here or from what I know normal at all.

That's james btw. My business partner. He's a slow reader ;)

Feel free to merge the two threads if needed.

Bryson

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number

The first three missing digits are known as the World Manufacturer identifier (always WVW from my experience with Volkswagens), the next three digits are Vehicle attributes (always ZZZ from my experience) and the last missing red letter is the Check Digit.

It's a European car, so that bit is straightforward.

The ABT bit could yield curiousities. I need to check some magazine covers and books I think.

7. pressuretested Forum Member

Was hoping we could get some help on this. I looked the car and the mileage is true. Car is C L E A N as far as structure, rust, fitment... etc. Paint needs some work but that's no problem.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've no doubt we can decipher every part of the label, and probably tell you which month the car was built.

The ABT story will not be easy. Cage doesn't ring bells as a race series in Europe, it's in good paint so it's not been raced and liveried. I've had a flick through some books, but nothing is turning up. I can picture a red ABT car on a magazine cover, but it won't be that car, as it's stock bar the bumpers, which are very curious (and 'classic' retro bodykit-ish), but this will not have set a magazine cover alight!

9. pressuretested Forum Member

it has the stock euro bumpers underneath these ABT bumpers. We are taking delivery of the car on thrusday and those are the first to go. They will go tucked away in storage and OEM Euro bumpers installed.

10. JamDawg New Member

LOL it is the same one. That is my friend and Mechanic who will be restoring it. Hello Bryson, so we meet again.

I like my thread better :p

Chris thanks for all of the help, Its funny we thought the ZZZ designation in the VIN was somthing special when in reality it was just a standard VIN.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The top mounts are the most impressive bit of the car if I'm honest, well for me anyway.

Cage gone, but the holes still present confirming a full install? Welded footplates still there?

Will dig out a thread in a sec. Possible long shot line of enquiry.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Poss ABT lead:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224865

I don't know where the showroom is, but I think that car is still there, presumably in Germany. That'd be where I'd look. Someone else dug out another pic of that Mk1 not so long ago. Will make an enquiry.

13. pressuretested Forum Member

Thank you Chris. The previous owner said he tried contacting ABT but had no progress. We will try again on our own.

He has the original bottom end but the car currently has an ABA bottom end and a G Grind cam. Def want to change the cam out as I feel that's not much of an upgrade.

I would like to replace it w another rare peice... say maybe a VWMS hollow cam ;)

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The EV bottom end should be very close to the USA HT engine. The case should be near identical and it looks like you have all the Euro K-Jet gear still on the ABA block there. This list may help:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230780

From recolllection, the ABA is a tall block - might be worth checking what exhaust manifold you have on it, ie if you have the cast original from the EV.

EVs are fairly rare now in the UK and yet not particularly sought after. Early EVs have a missing cam cap indicating a solid lifter head - you may know all this, so I won't go on.

I notice it has stick on side strips, a sure sign of an early A2. You may find it has a single rear valance cut out for the exhaust. Very early shell if it does. Someone has fitted side indicator repeaters in the wings I think.

There will probably be other early features people can pick out.

15. pressuretested Forum Member

it is a solid lifter head.

The repeaters in the fenders were installed afterwards and even the fenders are unique from our experience. On the inside jambs where the fender bolts to the body, on the newer mk2's this area has a spot welded reinforcement piece of sheet metal where as these do not.

Also the tow hook is welded on the inside engine rail horn where was over here they were attatched to the bumpers and only some jetta wolfsburg coupe had them on the frame rail.

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Bryson, ABT contact details now PM'd to you.

17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i can tell you is the car was made some time in November 1983, probably very early in the month (november chassis numbers start at 19-E-372009 and end 19-E-396104)

type 191 334 - Golf GTI, EV engine, 9A gearbox

LA3A - Mars red

JP - black/red sports interior

a01 - ?
    i38 - luggage compartment floor - right front 2door LHD - Golf not sure on this one?
    i74 - ?
    r67 - 54AH battery
    173 - ?
    401 - aluminium rim 6Jx14H2
    685 - rear seat and backrest divided (shame this is missing, bloody rare!)
    930 - exterior mirror (flat) adjustable from the inside

so nothing realy you didnt already know

edit: made in 1983! not 84. eyes fail :lol:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  18. JamDawg New Member

rubjonny,

Thank you for the info, this is a wonderful site with knowlegeable people.
    FYI, I didn't know half of that info ;), Pressuretested is the brains of this operation.

The split rear seat sound cool, I guess ABT removed them when they put the cage in.

When this model start to come off the production line?

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looking at etka mk2 golfy chassis number 19-e-300001 came off the line 1st august 1983 :thumbup:

20. pressuretested Forum Member

From what we've been told the car came w no interior other than the door panels, dash and a Matter cage. We understand Saftey Devices is somehow the "new" Matter cage through exchanging of hands and may have some of the original jigs.
    JamDawg has contacted them to see, let's see how that goes.