How to improve MPG on a 8 valve gti?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Alpenweiss2, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

This post is related to the other thread I put on here yesterday about us possibly getting rid of one of our Gti's.

Some of the replies prompted me to look at some of the threads on MPG and some of you seem to get amazing MPG on a long run from your 8 valve Gti's??

42, 44 and almost close to 50 MPG have been posted?

The best we seem to be able to get on a long run is about 35MPG which equates to about 430 miles to a full tank??[:s][:s][:s]

The car is well maintained and has recently had a decent tune up at Youngs Garage in Wrotham. The owner Nick really knows his stuff! Car has just reached 130k, but does use a bit of oil. All of the stuff in Rubjohnny's digi set up has been done including new blue temperature sender, new vaccuum hoses etc, etc!

We check the tyre pressures regularly and on long trips try and stay around 70 MPH on the motorway.

What can we do to improve the MPG?

If we could get 45MPG that would be fantastic!

Alpenweiss2 :)

2. nealey Forum Junkie

The trouble is you dont know how people are calculating their mpg, i would say at 50mpg they are just reading it off the mfa display, I've seen over 50mpg on there from mine and it runs like a pig!

Have you considered fitting an undertray to it to improve mpg?

3. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

Hi Nealey..good suggestion!!

I have casually looked into this before for my big bumper gti, how easy are they to get hold of for a small bumper gti and what sort of effect would it have on MPG? Can you get them from a scrapyard? Have seen a few on ebay, with ridiculous postage fees (from Poland I think!!).

Could it be anything strange like the cam timing on her car being a tooth out or something daft like that? The cambelt was changed just before we bought the car at 89k..maybe a numpty garage did it? Just a thought...it does seem to idle a bit lumpy?

Alpenweiss2

4. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I rarely get above 35mpg, even on a run, and usually get high twenties driving in town.

I find these claims a littel hard to believe too, I suspect that they may be calculated using the "a tenner gets me 200 miles" theory.

The only accurate way to measure mpg is to fill the tank, reset trip meter, drive til in the red, refill tank noting miles driven since last fill and divide miles by fuel taken to refill the tank.

5. Joesoap Forum Member

Most will be lucky to see 35mpg in the real world
    When it gets to the stage your at - checking the tyre pressures regularly etc
    Posting topics- how do I get 45mpg out of a Gti golf [:[]
    The fuel has taken over, Time to sell and buy a Gray eco car [xx(]

6. emery1990 Forum Member

Strip it so it's just metal and a seat. Lighter more economical.

7. Joesoap Forum Member

And remove the windows, should reduce drag :thumbup:

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

drive at 60 instead of 70 ish, is the engine modified?

9. phil gti New Member

My mk2 golf gti 8v is cammed air filter and two box sports exhaust i do 120 mile to twenty quid round town

10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

well i can manage 200 miles to a full tank. and if i really try i managed 1/4 tank on the guage in 12 miles!!

11. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

WHAT???:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

:lol: Alpenweiss2

I am pretty certain the engine is standard? It's not as quick as my Gti which is putting out 132 BHP and on a long run I usually get about 450 to 480 to a full tank in mine!!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  12. Wilmal Forum Member

Think my record is something like 525 miles to a tank. Sit at 60 on the motorway, it's well worth it.

13. Dubnutter Forum Member

my 8v used to get a repeatable 43mpg on run to cornwall sat at 70mph, even better when reduced down to 60-65.

I found that a VW temp sensor (not a cheap pattern part) and having the injectors ultrasonically cleaned really helped to get that figure. before I was getting 35mpg on a run which i used to think was great!

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I am about to embark on a FE exercise on my very STD VW serviced "JORAN" this week. My driving cycle is very mixed.
    My initial thoughts from driving this car over this weekend were:

• On motorway cruise the car can achieve an indicated FE of 39mpg ( short term) on the MFA after being in start stop congestion.
    • In traffic this average can rapidly decline to 28mpg.

In order to be more objective, the test will follow a similar trend to the FE exercise that was done on my Ankor. VR6 Ankor 35mpg no?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  15. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've seen over 40mpg on sciroccos, on a 70 mph motorway run, and around 40 on a digifant golf.

I always measure mpg by filling the tank, measuring miles driven on the trip, and seeing how much it takes next time you fill it. There's a little bit of room for error, but it's more accurate than going by the gauge.

Don't carry excess junk in the car, blow up the tyres a couple of PSI extra (but you'll wear out the middles a bit quicker) and keep the car in good order.
    I don't think you can get 45mpg, but 40 is realistic.

If you want more, and you do a lot of miles, you should think about diesel. If you do less than 10k a year, buy a Lupo 1.0 or similar, or a Lupo/Arosa TDI if you do more than 10k a year.

My Audi 80 TDI does nearly 50 mpg on a run, but old diesels need looking after, and if the pump goes then that's a big bill.

An under tray should help a little bit.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  16. milesmk2 Forum Member

Putting in a 4+E box would certainly gain some economy. Althought it would feel more sluggish to drive.

17. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Both my old K-Jet Jetta GT and the current K-Jet Golf GTI would average 40-42 MPG although this has dropped on the golf to 38 so I think I will have a look at the injectors and check the timing. Thats filling the tank and using the trip meter I won't say what the MFA thinks it does!!

Holding a steady speed where you can helps a lot, which is why when used properly Cruise will return better MPG

18. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

19. Zander_GTI_daft Forum Member

20. Mike_H Forum Addict