2l 8v smoking

Discussion in 'Engines' started by samc, Oct 29, 2004.

1. samc Forum Member

ive recently fitted a golf gti head onto a audi 80 2l block and havnt had much problems, mjor concern is the smoke that it likes to throw out after a give it a bit of a hard time, i didnt change the sump when i put this bottom end in my 91 jetta, cud that be the problem??? is the audi sump different to the golf/jetta 1? cheers

2. DuBDuDe Forum Member

what colour smoke? the sump wont have anything to do with it.
    Edited by: DuBDuDe

3. flusted Forum Member

Could be a blocked breather pipe?

4. samc Forum Member

its blue smoke but the bores on the engine were mint, no wear or anything, sounds like its got a missfire out the exhaust could it be burnt valve or something?? cheers

5. samc Forum Member

breatears are both clear as anything but there does seem to be quite a bit of back pressure [:s]

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Did you change the valve stem seals when you put it together, and check for worn valve guides?

Was the head on your car before, or is it an unknown?

Did you put new Piston Rings in it - I'm told that can cause smoking if the bores aren't honed first.

Any of that could cause it to burn a bit of oil... the first one is a lot cheaper to fix, so if in doubt do that first.

7. samc Forum Member

unfortunately i didnt bother to check the head took it off a gti from a scrapyard and plugged the injector holes up and changed the inlet manifold and put it on to the block so might very well be that. shame it dont run no more :( can get it started by towing it but sounds like its only running on 2 cylinders, can hold the revs to 2500 but anymore or any less and it just cuts out, gonna change the plugs and leads tommoro

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Check to see if the plugs are gummed up with oil first... maybe just a clean will do it. No sense in clagging up a new set of plugs till you've sorted the root cause of the oil burning.

I'd start with the valve stem seals as they're cheapest.