GAP security

Discussion in 'Security' started by sum1, Dec 25, 2003.

1. sum1

sum1 Forum Member

Anyone used them to install an alarm, apparently they will fit it as i work, which would be nice.

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

they are ment to be crap and real dodgy

3. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

personally i would give Studweiser a shout - he has sorted out a few people from here with top notch alarms at bargain prices.

his work is absolutely first rate, he's a diamond bloke to deal with, he'll give you a decent price (lower than 99% of others) AND he will install it with the care he would take on his own motor - not some slapdash bung it in fast job.

if you want to see the quality of his work just see his very tidy mk3 (and trailer ;))

4. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Stud did mine + boot solenoid too. [:D]
    Edited by: mr.brown

5. mk3anniversary Forum Member

Yep stud did my concept 500, boot solenoid and a couple of other bits. His work is top notch, so much so I've asked him to put a new alarm in my gf's car in the new year.

6. DAVENJAC New Member

Don't even think of using GAP, I ordered a concept 500 and asked them to fit it at work, they sent a subcontractor witha cheaper unit. If I hadn't been nosy and watched them I would have been none the wiser. They disagreed with as to which unit I had ordered, but eventually agreed with me that they were reneging on the contract and after a few phone calls returned my payment. The subcontractor they sent fitted the correct unit at half the price, lesson learnt ;)
    Edited by: DAVENJAC

7. JamesMk3 New Member

[:x] [:x] I've been meaning to complain about GAP for a while.. Don't go near them at any cost.
    I had a toad C5T2 fitted from them..
    Firstly their advert was wrong, claiming it had a 2 stage shock sensor. After fitting I asked why this didn't work as a 2 stage to be told it was a 120 option. The advert strangely changed that week. Three letters, a photocopied advert and threats of legal action for false advertising later they eventually agreed to fit me the extra part.
    Secondly they repeatedly changed the day of installation even though I had one specified well in advance, then turned up at 6AM on a sunday morning..
    But the best bit was managing to split both doorcards all across the top, break 4 different pieces of plastic trim, and create a rattle that I have given up on finding. They even cut throught door inner lining and gaffer taped it back up!
    Cowboys, hope they are out of business by now.

8. Elijah Forum Member

I'd agree - only bad experiences with GAP.
    I used them to fit my Clifford 500. Messy install, screwed up the central locking etc. etc. etc. Also, they don't offer you any of the free facilities that the Clifford can be wired up with (e.g. total closure, remote headlights etc. on the relays)

I only used them due to price and convenience.

I ended up meeting up with Stud, who did a great job rewiring and practically re-installing it all properly, + the extras all wired up.
    Would recommend him for definite - great bloke, great price, and a real commitment to doing a good job for you and leaving you happy.

Don't hesitate to get in touch with him.

Elijah

9. Dubya Forum Junkie

Oh dear.

I have just ordered an alarm from GAP, the clifford concept 650.

I hope they have improved. Does anyone have any more recent experience of them.

Wish I read this sooner! [8(]

10. Dubya Forum Junkie

Anyone? [8(]

11. bunter Forum Member

they fitted the alarm/immobiliser on my golf a few years back, the immobiliser is now stuck on[:^(]

12. Dubya Forum Junkie

Well, they came to day to fit the alarm.

It was the day specified, they haven't broken anything that I have noticed, and the install is neat and tidy. Also everything works that worked before, so overall I'm happy with the service.

13. Studweiser Forum Member

Gotta be careful wot i say here, did approach Gap when i was being made redundant. fitters get paid by the job, the quicker they do the job the more they can earn. this will encourage some pretty shocking shortcuts to be taken by some, (i hasten to add not all....covering my backside here).anyway , most of you know i didn't go work for them.
    i've only heard the horror stories, i've sorted some bad installs( well no one's gonna ask me to sort out a good one are they.

14. Dubya Forum Junkie

It took the man from GAP about an hour and a half to fit my concept 650.

Would you say that is normal time, or did he rush it?

15. Studweiser Forum Member

hour and a half? don't everybody laugh at once. think you'll find it's a lash up. sorry for that, but can't see it being a good job in such short space of time.

16. loftuz Forum Member

GAP suck

Nothing but con artist's

At least Dick Turpin wore a mash when he robbed you...........!

17. vehiclesafedude In Delete Queue

take it from me as close friend of a gap engineer.
    gap have independant fitters who are based all over the country. these fitters use gap to get a constant source of work but are paid a pittance in comparison with what gap charge. this means that often or not that work is rushed to make a decent wage. about 90% of the fitters are spot on but there are a couple of cowboys who seem to get away with it as gap only care about the money they can make and not the aftermath.

if you approach the engineers privately you ll find that most will offer the same service at a fraction of the cost. the best way to do this is get the number off a friend that has used gap (and a decent fitter) and contact them yourself. the fitter will probably be able to direct you to your nearest one if not help you directly.

18. Karlos d Jackyl CGTI Regional Host

I wouldnt use Gap again not now , i used them to install a concept 600x .which at the time was all singing and dancing anti hijack unit..

Anyway after he'd finisedh installing the alarm I asked him to demonstrate a few things to me..... anyway it turned out he hadnt bothered to install the immobiler... the anti hijack unit was left in the box and stuffed into the back of his van and the proximity sensor we not installed too...

Also the alarm supplied was just a 500x

If You are reading this DO NOT USE GAP.. You have been warned

This happened twice with 2 cars I've owned , I complained to the manager at the time but he couldnt give a toss

19. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Gap are sh*t. Overpriced too! They installed a clifford concept 650 on my last car. Claimed they didnt have time to show me how it works propperly and then 2 months later the thing randomly started unlocking itself, and was eventually broken into, although it had unlocked itself at the time and the thieves were able to help themselves to everything in my car! Rang gap up to complain as I had already rang them several times about repairing/rewiring the thing and they just didnt want to know.

20. rallyeluke Forum Member

what a bunch of idiots and degenerates they all sound!!!.
    i want my clifford concept 500 looked at as its going off randomly, i was woken up on saturday morning with the thing going off and unable to turn it off easily.

im really worried about using it now, anyone got any suggestions as to what could be causing it?