ABF rev limit

Discussion in '16-valve' started by PMRS, Jan 10, 2005.

1. PMRS Paid Member Paid Member

Any one know the factory/safe rev limit for the 2lt 16v ABF engine (98 Seat cordoba). When we mapped the engine I think we were a little too cautious at 6800rpm. The engine is still standard except for the spec in my sig.
    The power was still rising at the limiter, so I wouldn't mind upping it a little. What can I go to with some balancing and up ratedbig end bolts?

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

alright m8.
    ive heard with uprated rod/bearing hardware,you can be hitting 7.5k safely-ish [:s]
    dont take that as gospel though :)

3. H8SV8S Forum Member

Sounds like a good setup! I had my limiter set at 7,500 a while back with a totally stock bottom end and it was fine. Although, I didn't rag the car constantly beyond 7k - if you do this, ARP rod bolts are a very good idea.

The bottom end WILL hold together <7,800rpm with new rod bolts. Anymore than this, or if you drive like a maniac and there'll be no more ABF.

It looks like you've followed the same route I took with my engine by bolting on the throttle bodies before head and cam work. I did it this way, just to see what it was like and test the rumour that ITBs on a stock motor do nothing. To an extent, it was true, but after manying mapping sessions, you can pull a lot of power (190hp+) out of the ABF cams.

I found that the ITBs provided SO much mid range that they made the car feel flat in the top end. Technically it wasn't, but the curve didn't pull up much after 5,500rpm even if peak power was above this. Basically, I found the power delivery far too linear for my liking on stock cams. For reference, I think the best street setup was Kent's 278 Sports 'R' cams and basic head work. If you push much beyond this with the stock 02A gear ratios, the car feels a bit lethargic down low.

If you're working to a budget, fit some mildish cams in the stock head. Despite what some people will tell you, you'll still get good results, as the ITBs rescue LOTS of torque down low.

I'd be setting your rev limit at 7,200rpm as a minimum - well setup, your motor will pull to these revs quite well. What throttles are you using and what diameter are they?

Hope this helped!!

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I never can remember PMRS's name (sorry), but he's running Badger5 DTH 45mm.

When you think a KR rev limit is 7200 but most 16v cars with factory cams make peak power at 6500-6800 (on k-jet)

Even with Schrick 268/276s my peak power was at 6800[:s]

Edit -Just had a look at PMRS profile and will remember your name for the next time I see you at a track day[:D]
    Edited by: G_V_K

5. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

6800rpm is conservative but if your power is falling before then its probably sensible for now until you go for wilder cams.

My 2ltr Jetta was limited to 7700rpm but its peak power was 1000rpm before then, and I only extended the rpm for a few tracks where I needed to hold a gear that little bit longer.

6. Ess Three Forum Member

I am reliably informed that the weak part in raising the ABF's rev limit, is the strength of the flywheel to crank bolts.
    If you have a standard flywheel and bolts, you should think hard about going much above the rev limit of the early ABF engines (the later cars were lower)
    I seem to think the higher figuree is 6800...may be wrong though.

If you have a lightened flywheel, or fit stronger bolts, you can go higher.

As has already been said, there's no real need to go much above peak power...

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

My car makes peak power at 6800 too..

The shift light comes on at 7K & the normal rev limit is set to 7400 (soft cut) I believe...7500 for the absolute (hard cut) limiter

On the road it seems best to change up at 7K...which probably means the shift light should be reset to come on at about 6750.. ;)

8. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Mines limitting at 7200.

I would tell you when my 4 shift lights come on - but it's that long since i saw them i can't remember! :lol:

9. PMRS Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks all.

The name is Nick. I am using a autotechnics 020 box (montigo finel drive) with the 1.8 16v fly wheel. I guess there would be the same problem with the fly wheel bolts. When mapped the power was still climbing at the limiter.

The car has always sounded like it needs 500 revs more, at least!

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

With an 020box you have a different situation

The 020 has a much lighter clutch and flywheel setup than the 02A and
    as such, the stresses on the flywheel bolts are much less.

Until recently, I had an 020 on my valver and it goes to 8.6K - and the
    flywheel/clutch was fine - providing its fitted properly with new bolts
    everytime
    (new cover to crank and new flywheel to clutch cover - their not
    expensive from VW and good insurance).

My car was fitted with a helix cover and plate - I have heard that std
    covers have been known to crack between the bolt holes if you go above
    7.5K a lot

I would say you would be ok to 7.3K without much bother and probably
    7.5K would be ok - depends how cautious you are

Cheers

Rob
    Edited by: RobT

11. PMRS Paid Member Paid Member

The car is only really used for track days (did a 12 car in it once though) so the limiter is offen seen. I have just modifed the map on the computer to 7200, will down load when I next see the car.

My next thoughts are a baffled sump and maybe some balancing. Any comments.