GTI 2lr L Reg Will not Restart?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by El Tel49, Mar 4, 2005.

1. El Tel49 New Member

Nottingham The Worlds Best City... England U.K.
    Ay up Midduk’s…

Pull up a chair this could take a while to sort out? ;) as cars are not my "forty"

I’ve copied and pasted this from another topic to here and left a link to here? And corrected some spelling mistakes too… ROFL

" Has the Scorpion 5000 series got some kind of re-set delay? or the GTI itself "

i.e.: once you’ve stopped it, do you have to wait for it to time out before you can restart it??? This would be a bummer if you stalled it at traffic lights???

I've just inherited VW Golf GTI 16V 2lr L Reg 1994 full electrics, tracking system fitted and air conditioning... It has been off the road ( SORN ) for 1yr, battery U.S. ( As I expected ) so a New Battery was my first job, then an MOT, insurance and TAX.

The previous owner neglected to tell me about the alarm, apart from what the buttons do and the slide switch on the side as explained above

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showpost.php?p=554072&postcount=10

as it was fitted when new and he had neither instruction or handbook for the GTI either? [:^(]

I've drove the car some 25 miles home to Long Eaton, by the way mice had eaten through 6 cables under the bonnet, but this didn't stop the car from being jump started ( with a 1/4 tank of petrol a 1yr old ), on the third attempt. "I was well impressed as at this point the chewed cables were not noticed" A quick clean of the windows and I'm off driving home slowly at first testing the breaks etc, then opened it up down some country lanes. "Boy; was I impressed with the speed"

Once home, I new it wouldn't restart because of the battery, switch the engine off and got the jump leads out and connected them to a running engine...

On stopping the GTI and getting out, I was unaware I had activated the alarm / immobiliser? Until I opened the car door againand then all hell let loose; siren, light flashing. Pressing the left fob button did silence it but what else it did I do not know, apart from, locking the door's and closing the opened driver's window. "Cool I thought" Pressed the left button again and the doors unlock and all the window's opened too. This worried me and couldn't think why this should be? I found two buttons on the dashboard, which closed the windows. I then tried to start the car. It ran for approx' 10 sec' then stopped and refused to even attempt to start. I assumed I had activated the immobiliser and tried all kind of, opening and closing the driver's door with the key and fob, activating the alarm on and off. I lost track of what I attempted... All to no avail. The dam car won't start. On leaving the car for a couple of hr's. Bless me it started first attempt but only ran for 40 sec' and died quickly; and again refused to start not even a splutter. I was [:x] and left the car for the rest of that dayto have a think. Just before I went home I tried the car again and it started the first time and ran for 10 sec'.

Next morning I fitted a new battery, with a 5A charger connected across the terminals, so as not to loose the radio code when the battery was removed, as the previous owner couldn't find the code.

As I found out, the alarm + cable was not fitted to any of the spare fixing on the battery + terminal, but to the post itself and hence the dam alarm went off again and this time the left fob would not silence the alarm at all... In front of me was the alarm unit itself and I pull the plug out from the top, but the alarm still carried on from within the car, plus I've still got the charger connected too. At the expense of the radio the only way I could shut the noise up was to disconnect the charger and some 30sec' L8ER there was quite.

At this point I connected the alarm + to one of the spare tapped holes and repaired all the chewed cables. Fitted the new battery and has I expected the alarm went off, but had the fob to hand to silence it. I left the new battery on charge for a couple of hr's, before I attempted to start the engine; and yes the car started on the first attempt, I left it ticking over for 10min's and with the odd rev' to 3000 RPM,thought all was well. I switched of the engine, had a coffee, then thought I would take it the local garage for a MOT... Would it start would it hell as like not even a splutter like before? [:^(] I've even added 3 gallons of new unleaded petrol to the tank, thinking the gauge could be wrong?

I'm scratching my head by now? And time is running out for the day and decided to leave it...

This morning I tried again, and again it started on the first attempt, no throttle as before, so as not to flood it. It ran for 20 min's with several good revs to 3000+ RPM all from under the bonnet as I didn't wont / or know if by opening the driver's door with the engine running;would I activate the alarm / immobiliser while I was warming it up. I switched the engine off, made plan's to get it MOT'd but 10 min's L8ER it refuses to restart.

Can anybody throw some light on this dilemma?

Regards El Tel49

Last edited: May 24, 2006