Manifolds - debate (TWM pics)

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Carbs4ever, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Carbs4ever Forum Member

O.K.

read the thread on 16v engines etc - and as I am in the middle of a resto with a mk1 16v on 45's dellortos I am keen to find out about manifold lenghts etc.. a mangoletsi manifold came with my carb package and it looks straight and a good cast with a tap for servo etc..

However I noted that there is a consensus that mangoletsi manifolds are not the best for TB's and Carbs and i noted in the thread that TWM were mentioned as being the best bet...

However I went on their site and they no longer do carb manifolds and have sold this license to Peirce.. I went on their website and their manifold looks to be the same shape/length as the magoletsi one....

Then I was informed of Rowland manifolds of South Africa and I received this pic today from them showing their version.... [​IMG]
    which is nigh identical to the mangoletsi...

So is there a 'better' manifold and if so where can it be got from?

Or in other words has anyone used a better version and what were the results?

Thanks. [:s]
    Edited by: Carbs4ever

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hi

The issue with the Mangoletsi manifold that used to be around was that it had a very tight S-bend in it in the vertical plane - and it looked quite restictive to flow. The manifold above looks very nice though IMO from the pics - looks a lot like the TWM one if perhaps a little shorter

Picking a manifold - well one with a smooth curve would be my choice and forget the length, the length can be tuned with different length rampipes if this is a route you want to go down

I have had correspondance with Rowlands before - they will post them to you and look a good price - I'd go for one of those

Cheers

Rob

3. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Well it looks the same as mine [:s] the curve in the manifold is neccessry to have the carbs sit level so I don't see how this can be avoided [:s] o.k a longer manifold could reduce the sharpness of the bend/curve/angle... but I haven't seen any longer manifolds than the above or the one I have.

Is it just 'talk' about the mangoletsi or has anyone actually experience of different makes? >>i mean that in a positive way! :) I don't want to order a different one if there is no point. [xx(]

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Mangoletsi I had looked nothing like the picture above. Very rough casting which was ill fitting and very stubby and abrupt on the curve transition form head to level. I had a picture of it on page 3 in my t'body promo.>> promo

TWM is available from some stockists. 2 piece jobbie and used to be available in 2 lengths.

Other 16v manifolds available for DCOE fitment in Europe also. Between 150-200 roughly.
    Edited by: badger-bill

5. greg s Forum Member

Bill, that explains a lot. My second-hand Mangoletsi manifold and the new
    one Gareth describes are a much longer style, similar to the Rowlands one
    pictured above. I don't know how old your photo is but they must have
    changed the design for the better by the looks of things?

6. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Must have changed the design as my one is not like the one in Badger-bill's link.... I'll get a pic of it up tomorrow...

7. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Found the TWM version..

It looks like a good smooth curve as stated by others.. i understand now.. [:$]

I wonder if clearance would be problem in the mk1 engine bay - cross member etc... im getting a rad made that will sit lower in the slam panel so it wouldn't hit the rad but will it hit the slam panel??

[​IMG]

Here also for interest is the 'Pierce Manilfolds' version - not as long and more onto the Rowland and Mangoletsi.
    [​IMG]

Edited by: Carbs4ever