ABF vs 9A

Discussion in '16-valve' started by The Mann, Oct 22, 2003.

1. The Mann Forum Member

Firstly, just wondering what the difference is between these two engines and what cars they came out of exactly.
    Also can someone explain which engines are short blocks and tall blocks and what difference each one gives in terms of driveability characteristics and outright performance etc.

Many thanks

2. NormanCoal Forum Member

The ABF is a tall black engine (16mm taller) and is out of the MK3 16V golf.
    The short block 9A (or bubble block as it also known) is out of a corrado or passat. It is visually identical to a 1.8 KR 16v.

All three engines use the same head casting (not 100% true but I wont complicate things with early golf 16V variations) but are slightly different in porting, and valve stem lengths.

You wont find any difference in standard engine characteristics and they will all produce virtually the same power.
    The difference lie in installation and parts used in a MK2. GVK on this forum has a complete 9A with a 42mm inlet and KR cams along with the standard (torque tuned cyl head) and this give circa 165bhp on a reliable reading rolling road.

Any more Q's, there are plenty on here who can add extra/more detail

Chris

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Just to add what Chris has posted, ABF used in the mk3/Seats has Electronic fuel injection where as the 9A uses a 'refined' version of K-Jet with electronic control, both can be fitted to earlier Golfs running on KR (1800 16v mk2) injection

I'm not sure tho, if an ABF fits in a mk1 shell... anyone?

4. Tommy Forum Member

Think GTI mad man runs an ABF on his mk1....?

5. The Mann Forum Member

Ok...understand sort of...I thought KR engine was 1800 capacity though? Arent the 9A and ABF 2ltr 16 valves?

6. Tommy Forum Member

Yup. As above though head is pretty much the same. Different inlet manifold etc.

The 9A runs milder cams - i think cos it had too meet tougher emission regs or sumthing. running the kr cams (or a kr head)is a good mod.

7. The Mann Forum Member

Instead of running KR cams why not just upgrade to piper cams instead? Or am I confusing the camSHAFT?

GVK why did you chose 9A over ABF is what im interested in. [:D]

8. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

KR cams are cheap way to get a slightly 'better' setup.
    If you want to spend money on cams then go for Schrick or soething similar... just don't buy piper. Heard nothing but horror stories about them....

9. GTI

GTI Forum Member

The Audi 80 2.0 16v had a 6A engine which is also very similar. The block (inc. the head) is pretty much identical to the 9A, but the sump and manifolds are different because it is mounted inline in the Audi.

10. The Mann Forum Member

So basically any vw 16 valve 2ltr engine I can fit in my mk1 is good but preferably one that runs on Kjet or refined k-jet and has uprated cams or atleast KR ones.

11. GTI

GTI Forum Member

I wouln't try fitting a tall block in a Mk1. Although it might fit, it would be a tight squeeze and you'd have to worry about finding a suitable exhaust manifold. 6A or 9A are the way to go IMHO.

12. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I chose a 9A as it is a direct swap to the KR - Everything fits the same, KR cams I had a spare set of so they got fitted, it's actually only the inlet cam you need, but mine had different chainwheels so I fitted a matched pair.

13. The Mann Forum Member

Cool. Cheers for the help guys.

14. ViCk Forum Member

My Mk1 is currently going for a 2.0 16v conversion by Vagsport and their using an ABF out of a Seat, including the electronic injection. I am also a bit doubtful as to whether it will fit or cause any problems. Can anyone shed some light and give me some peace of mind... Cheers

15. prof Forum Addict

the throttle body will hit the bonnet

16. altern8 Forum Junkie

whats the difference between the 6a and 9a then

17. GTI

GTI Forum Member

a couple of holes are tapped in different places on the block, but the main difference is the overall build of the engine, with a different sump, oil pickup pipe, inlet and outlet manifolds.

if you were doing a 1.8 16v to 2.0 16v conversion there would be no trouble (cus you have all the parts you need), but if you are going from 8v the 16v at the same time then you'll need to source those parts. (this is what i did)

18. jason Forum Member

i've run an adl 1.816v and now an abf 2.016v,the torque on the abf is far better(as you'd expeact),the 1.8 needed it neck ringing to get any joy from it, ;) where as now the abf is not as thrash happy,less brown trouser moments whenover taking

19. urgti Forum Member

Besides the taller block the ABF uses longer rods for a better rod ratio. This is where it gets real technical but one of the basic reasons for this is smother operation ie: less vibration.
    We all know how VW changed the look and feel of their cars with the introduction of the MK3

Jasin

20. jason Forum Member

oh yeh ,no idea if the ADL engine is any different,perhpas its the kr with the later feul injection shared by the mk3 golf/seat