Stealth WUR Mod

Discussion in 'Engines' started by big chaz, Apr 30, 2005.

1. big chaz New Member

Having my 16v rolling roaded on the 4th june, is it worth having this mod done ? What is it ? Will it make much difference ?

Any feedback !!

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, worth doing in 99.9% of cases.

It's an adjustment of the warm up regulator which basically increases fuelling under load.

Had mine done 3 years ago at Stealth with no problems since whatsoever.
    Edited by: GVK

3. daveybwoy Forum Member

I second that.....had it done about a year and half ago :clap:

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Better mention that I've had cold starting problems since having my WUR done at Stealth, to be honest I think it could be due to a fault somewhere else but the WUR mod definitely highlighted it, still trying to sort it a year later! [:$]

Wouldn't let that put you off though, as GVK says 99% of people very happy with it and my car certainly ran smoother/faster/more economically afterwards so great apart from cold starting. I would say go for it. :)

By the way - my completely standard 130 odd thousand mile 1.8 16v made 148bhp/124lbsft after the mod, not bad for an old 'un! :p
    Edited by: Stu

5. Steve B Forum Junkie

stu have you replaced the injectors, or even just the injector seals, helps with just about every case of poor starting especially on a car with high milage like yours.

edit/ check my sig link
    Edited by: Steve B

6. octane Forum Junkie

Have you tried something as basic as cleaning the Air flap?

7. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I've tried just about everything, don't worry I've got a replacement fuel pump/accumulator and fuel lines on the way, that's the next thing to try. Done all the temp senders, CSV, WUR testing, air ducting cleaning, throttle body, injector seals etc etc. See the post from Pigbladder a while back.

Slightly off topic anyway - WUR mod, yes, I'd go for it. :)

8. MK1Campaign Forum Member

Had mine done late last year. Standard except for exhaust and with 110k the car made 154 bhp.

Ben

9. Steve B Forum Junkie

stu, yeah but the injectors themselves are usually the problem, changing the seals isnt great, maybe ive misread your post, and you changed them, but, if the injectors leak, then slowly over night the chambers fill with fuel, the next day you come to start the car and the engine is technically flooded, so it turns over and over and over, eventually it fires with lots of smoke

now my car had that problem (which is only apparent when you leave the car for extended periods such as 4 or 5 hours or more

also there is the cold start problem where you leave the car for 2 mins and it wont start, however leave it over night and it starts first time, not quite sure what causes this, but my car had both when i bought it, changing the injectors sorted the long period problem, but the short warm start problme is still there although no where near as bad.

as regards the WUR Mod, not had it done myself, but i wouldn mind a trip to stealth for a set up and a run and the WUR Mod doing.

10. ABF_2L16VT Forum Member

Had mine done today, 2L abf, went in with 148bhp and 133lbs/ft came out with 174.2bhp and 145.1lbs/ft, its sooo much faster, problem is the clutch cant cope[8(]

11. big chaz New Member

Fitting a new clutch before it goes to stealth.

Think i might go for this mod then, how much does it cost ?

12. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

He does it as part of a normal 16v setup.

13. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

45 per hour + VAT he usually takes 1.5 hours to do the 16v set up.

14. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Bit of a long shot this, but could this be due to the fuel pressure not being maintained for a period after switching the engine off, therefore vapour lock is occurring?

15. shaft69 Forum Member

My old 16v did run crap from cold in morning after wur mod. Stealth couldn't tune it properly vince said my cams were the problem after 165 and 4hr later. Had it tuned at dubsport week later all was fine! Even tho wasnt running properly at stealth was still giving 175bhp. Eventually got it to 181bhp at d/sport. Always found d/sport rollers really harsh never get good atw figures. Stealth was 144atw d/sport was round about 110atw.

16. Steve B Forum Junkie

trev its possible, however i would have thought that it would only get worse the longer you left it, and if i leave the car for say two days, it startes up in milliseconds, im not too worried now, its nothing noticable, people who ride with me in my car dont notice it takes any longer than usual, where as before swapping the injectors they used to turn and look at me as if to say, "is this thing ever gonna start?",

17. d?ft0n?z New Member

and you guys run stock clutches or uprated ones?

hey guys how much horses the stock 9A's/KR clutch can handle before it slips, i wonder?

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

A standard clutch can hold 300hp happily, if it's being used as a daily driver. If you're racing or are hard on it, then you need a fancy one.......

19. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Standard clutch - whats one of them then!?? :lol:

20. Steve B Forum Junkie

oh come on craig you know what they are, youve seen about 300 of them come out of your car in little peices with the rest of the peices of the gearbox :lol: