Mk2 8v - 2L Qs

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mike_rvf19, Jan 23, 2004.

1. mike_rvf19 New Member

Rite i have been tempted to get myself a 2Litre bottom end, the main question i ask is exactly what bottom end i use, my car is a digifant 8v, so i guess i would want a bottom end to fit directly to the head with the least amount of hassle possible, i have heard numerous bottom ends that are available, but can anyone tell me which is the best to go for, i will be building the engine up separately which perhaps a pack A/C head and 278 can etc if that helps .

Cheers

2. Raider Forum Member

Im doing the same thing over the next few months. Use a bottom end from a Passat or MK3 Golf.

3. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

Use an AGG head out of an audi 80...fits like a dream

go here...i asked the same question

Which block to use?
    Edited by: Golf_BlokeMK2

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

Blocks to use are 2E, AGG or 3A to name 3.

ONLY use a Pack C head. Pack A does not flow well enough for a 2L! ;)

5. mike_rvf19 New Member

cheers guys, looking from the other post, i mite try and get my hands on a AGG or 3A as i read in The Golf mag that they reccomended not to put the 2e in for some reason, dont know why.
    It was my intention to get hold of a pack c head aswell like you said chrismc what cam would you reccomend for this setup ?

6. jake Forum Member

you can do it without the big valve head just dont expect it to rev, but it pulls like a tractor in the mid range with stock valves, cam and just a mild re-shape of the valve throats and matched ports (never understood 'pack c' or 'stage 3' etc)

cost me less than a loud exhaust and made a noticable difference. Who said ther isnt much you can do to an 8v without spending silly money! :p

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I've never understood all this "bottom end swap" b0llocks. just fit the whole f*cking engine!

8. chrismc Forum Junkie

The problem is the head on the mk3 is boll*cks & the throttle switches/wiring do not match up to the mk2 loom...

The standard/Stage 1 head on a 2L bottom does make loads of torque.....but doesnt rev & doesnt make decent BHP.

IMO it isnt worth fu*king about. If you are gonna go 2L then put a BVH on it to let the the engine breathe properly. I gained 20BHP from going to big valves & a hotter cam....It transforms the car from ok, to something that can upset a lot of other cars!

I would suggest a Schrick 276/TSR 203 as decent cams to use with a BVH!

9. VR6Will Forum Member

Chris - hopefully getting my 3a bottom end soon, after much searching!! anyway when i take the whole lot out i will be getting the exhaust valves enlarged, dont know whether to stay with the 202cam or sell it and get the 203cam, also not sure what to do to the bottom end either, lightened flywheel is a def. but could do the crank aswell

10. supercharged999 Forum Member

just want to know which fan belt to use ? (mk2 or mk3 )

11. MrDubmeister Forum Member

Northampton in a village in the middle of nowhere
    Im doin a bottom end swap and im using a 2E block and personally i have gone for the mk3 PAS and alternator setup as i feel its tidyier and easier to work on. Im also keeping the 2E breather system and will be plumbing all that in properly.

One thing i am wondering tho is what clutch and Flywheel do i use? The one of the Mk2 8valve or the Mk3 one?

12. s24da Forum Member

with clutch and flywheel, i think the general concensus is all original 8 valve apart from the pressure plate which should be off a 16v to handle the extra torque. as far as i can see, you have to buy it on its own, and swap it out. but if a clutch kit is only 70 odd quid, you might as well get new everything while the engine is out.

re fan belt, i think you use the water pump from the original engine, so that would suggest the original one, cos you use the alternator too, but i'm not 100%, about 85%

13. Phil. Forum Junkie

Due to the 2E being 15mm or so taller use a timing belt for the 2.0 engine. And you're using the PAS and water pump for the 2E so it's 2E belts all round. Same as I'm doing minus the PAS.

14. s24da Forum Member

:clap:
    thanks phil, i'm glad i put 85% sure!

do you use the alternator from the donor though?

15. Phil. Forum Junkie

I intend to. It's a much better setup with a large spring keeping the tension on the belt.

Also lowers the roll centre slightly...lol

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Will, what car is the 3a for? i thought you had gone down the 6pot route these days

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  17. binny New Member

i need to buy an alternator for my mk2 golf 2l 8v,,2e bolck with pb head,which one will i need & were can i buy one???cheers binny

18. nealey Forum Junkie

So is it best to use 2e water pump etc compared to using the pb stuff?

im tackling this conversion in the near future

19. Phil. Forum Junkie

if you cen get a good price for a new one or reconditioned one go for the mk3 one. Then you can ditch the ugly bracket on the pb head.

i've gone through two PB pumps recently so i'll be getting a new 2E one this week (although they may be the same part no.) the only difference is the angle at which the plastic pipe leaves the thermostat. You can swap over the part from the pb just make sure you get an extra O ring.

20. Phil. Forum Junkie

if you cen get a good price for a new one or reconditioned one go for the mk3 one. Then you can ditch the ugle bracket on the pb head.

i've gone through two PB pumps recently so i'll be getting a new 2E one this week (although they may be the same part no.) the only difference is the angle at which the plastic pipe leaves the thermostat. You can swap over the part from the pb just make sure you get an extra O ring.

edit: My first double quote... [:$]