mk2 16v Phenolic insulator fitting

Discussion in '16-valve' started by GVK, Jul 12, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Fitted the phenolic insulator tonight that mr Brown imports from the USA.

Info >http://www.clubgti.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60212&PN=1

Geek tech > http://evolutiontuning.com/evolution.html

On the mk2 16v running the factory injection, it's just a case of removing the inlet manifold and associated pipework, cleaning up the gasket faces
    and fitting the phenolic insulator with a lower inlet manifold gasket either side. I used longer bolts to allow for the 8mm? thickness of the insulator ( cheers Hotgolf)

6mm allen head bolts secure the flange and two support brackets on the rear of the head ( 7 x 13mm bolt heads)
    Injectors simply pull out of the holders, you need to remove the cold start valve feed line and multi plug and the hose for the servo and ISV and the complete manifold can be removed.

Handily, the rear support brackets are slotted so they still fit.

It's a good as time as any to replace the rocker cover gasket and injector 'o'ring seals while you're at it, mine were leaking anyway.

I split the upper and lower halves of the manifold to re-fit,I didn't have any to hand but would recommend a squirt of spray adhesive on the gaskets either side of the insulator, it will make it less fiddly to fit.

I would test the thing, if I had a clutch that worked.[:^(]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Edited by: GVK

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Still can't remeber giving you a set [:s]
    But hey, I'm merrily p155ed right now! :lol: Good old 1664.!!

You all better go out and get some Kroney...NOW!

Nice one by the way Gary, straight forward advice to those who have bought an insolator and haven't had chance to fit it, or have never taken their manifold off before.

And once you've done that, pat yourself on the back and get some beer down ya!!!!!!!

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You sent them in the post sh4g :lol:

I'm on the John Smith's extra smooth.. ahhhh old man's drink :lol: