MK4 cambelt and water pump job

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mark25, Aug 5, 2005.

1. mark25 Forum Junkie

My 2.0 X-flow Bora has done 70K on the original cambelt, so i thought it was time for a new one. Not as easy as on a mk2 !! I decided to change the water pump at the same time as these have been known to fail, some problem with the plastic impellers.
    Here's the parts:
    [​IMG]

Cam belt, aux belt, a tensioner for each, water pump (with brass impeller from GSF) and new engine mounting bolts from VW.

I found it easier to cut a hole in the under engine cover to drain the coolant, rather than take it off:

[​IMG]

Although the hole could have done with being over the white tape next to it. It worked OK tho......

[​IMG]

I needed to support the engine while removing the engine mount that goes through the middle of the cambelt, DOH, this old box section of aluminium stradled across the wings did the job.

[​IMG]

hooked on like this......
    [​IMG]

Although i did put a trolley jack and piece of wood under the sump.

Here's the engine mounting bracket that stradles the cambelt, some 16mm long series sockets would have been useful here:
    [​IMG]

You need new bolts for the engine mounting every time as they are stretch bolts, VW supplied the 4 big ones on the right, you actually need 2 big and 2 small, which is what came off (left).

[​IMG]

Here's the new cambelt tensioner, the GSF one was exactly the same as the original, circlip pliers needed for tensioning, which is relatively easy, just get the pointed arm, between the vee on the other arm. As found, mine was well out of adjustment.....

With the top cambelt cover off, this is quite easy to check by feel (on a cold engine ;))

[​IMG]

Here's the old and new (brass) water pumps:

[​IMG]

Not sure how clear this is going to be, but there's a line of rust between the stainless bush and plastic impeller for some reason [:s] the coolant was in A1 condition, no corrosion anywhere else, but it looks like that's why some of the impellers have been known to fall off. This one was still V. tight BTW.
    [​IMG]

I had less luck with the GSF aux belt tensioner, it fell apart:
    [​IMG]

The old one was OK, but free as anything with a bit of play in the bearing, a sign that the bearing is on its way home, i may be able to take the bearing of the new one and put it on the old, the spring tensioner in the old one is OK. The end was never bent over the black disc to hold it on.....

[​IMG]

It's going again now, i don't know why, but it's going better than ever, lunging for the red line from 4000 rpm like it's never done since we've owned it [:s] [:s] [:s]
    Edited by: mark25

2. Seraph Banned

nice one mate.
    70k is about as late as id leave it imo
    did mine at 60k
    good report too :)

3. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I got all the bits to my TDI enigine yesterday, count yourself lucky I had to get 3 roller wheels + the tensioners, First time I 'v had to buy a set [8(]

with couple filters not much change from 200 notes [:s]

Looks like you got it sorted :clap:

4. mark25 Forum Junkie

UPDATE:

On closer inspection the water pump plastic impeller had started to crack:
    [​IMG]

happy would be an understatement!

5. timox New Member

Consol

Hi,
    IN your excellent discription you show a picture of the centre consol supporting the engine attachment, did you have to remove the belt and tensioner in order to remove this from the car, I have a Polo GTI but the design looks similar.

Timox

6. andyj Forum Member

post from the past.....

any chance you've got the part numbers for the engine mount bolts ??? ;)

need to get them for when I do my LCR.

Thanks,
    Andy