2.0 16V k-jet fueling

Discussion in '16-valve' started by 82erGTI, Oct 22, 2005.

1. 82erGTI Forum Member

Hello fellow gti-nutters ;)

I'm new here, been reading the tech section of the forum for a while but this is my first post... I currently own an alpine whitemk1 gti, but i'me planning on putting a 2.0 16V in a mk1 with small rear-lights in the (i hope) not too distant future...[:s]

I have read about 2.0 16V engines as much as possible, and althoughI havelearned a lot, Ihaven't really found ananswer tomy specific question : What is THE BEST way to fuel a 2.0 16V (lets say a 9A witha ported and polished KR head with KR cams) using the k-jet injection system ?

I mean.. i think most of you are using the k-jet off the KR, right ? But how does the fuel distributor respond to theextra displacement of 200cc? the extra amount of air raises the plate higher right ? well i've been hearing rumours that this causes the plate to be at its maximum height much too soon, hereby running the engine too lean at higher revs...

Now, i know about the changes one has to make to the warm-up regulator to make the mixture richer... But actually this doesn't really affect my previous question seeing as the mixture becomes somewhat richer over the whole rev-range... Or if you put a screw in it to limit the course of the little bimetal plate to make it rich enough at high revs,it will probably be to rich at lower and mid-rev range...

So how about this:I hearthat a fuel distributor off a porsche 924 (turbo) does the job a lot better... fact is however they're not as easy to find of course... What's your opinions on all this ? Is it necessary to combine the kr k-jet(i'm talking about the entire system now, so fuel pumps incl. etc) with a fuel distributor that is made for a 2.0 ??? (experiences?)

Thanks ;)

2. flusted Forum Member

most people will proberly say use the k-jet with wur mod done,this is good on engines up to 200bhp so there shouldnt be any probs with leaning out or running to rich anywhere

3. nando Forum Member

the k-jet works well even with the extre 200cc as i found outon my car, an abf with flowed head and inlet, tsr ex manifold, kent cams plus pulley. c.o set at 2%and timing at 6,it pushed out 178hp, vince did say it was leaning out top end, after wur mod 184.9hp! the extre 7hp was had from 5k to redline.

4. hotgolfgirl Forum Member

The k-jet works very well at around 195-200bhp as TSR said when my boyfreind took it to them last year.

They were asking him what cams he was using.His reply...standard!

They had a tweek with the metering head and got it to 168@wheels. All on K-jet, and somw tweeks here and there:lol:as my boyfriend said;)

5. 82erGTI Forum Member

What did these tweeks to the metering head involve ? Adjusting the little screws on top ?

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I would say so, you need to be brave with a torx20? drive to adjust them, they're not meant to be adjusted really..

Can shim the valve in the metering head to up the main delivery pressure too.

7. 82erGTI Forum Member

I heard these were rather tricky to adjust...

But can't they be set while having the injectors out and the k-jet system runnin, raising the plate manually... and then comparing the amount each has given ?Like this:

[​IMG]

Surely this way is much easier, not having to drive each time... Or is this not a good method for adjusting the little screws on the metering head ?

"Shim the valve to up the main fuel delivery" ? You mean the main pressure regulator thingy that sends the extra amount of fuel back to the tank ? Any benefits from this ? experiences ? Do the injectors still close off when shutting down the engine, because thiscould probably cause vapor lock...

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Stealth racing raised my fuel pressure with a shim, sorry I don't know the value - If you look on Autotech USA's site, I think they have details on there.