Audi 6a 2L 16v Conversion and Rebuild

Discussion in '16-valve' started by altern8, Feb 13, 2004.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

Ive just aquired a 2L 16v 6a engine and head (051)what parts do i need to change to replace a 1.8 16v engine i does not have the inlet/zaust manifolds and i will be running it on carbs more then likley.

Is it just the sump and oil pickup pump i need to change?

2. GTI

GTI Forum Member

don't know how much stuff you have on the engine, but here's a summary for ya.

strip the 6a down to the bare block, except for the oil filter housing and crank case breather.
    swap the sump and oil pickup pipe across from the kr along will all the ancilleries (water pump, pulleys flywheel, manifolds etc).

you'll want the cams from the kr, but you may want to get the 6A in and running to make sure it's all ok first.

3. fish18 Forum Member

as GTi's reply but you will have to use the oil filter housing from a 9a (passat) or ABF (mk3 golf) engine as the 6a oil filter sits at an angle and the KR one doesnt fit the block. if you need any other help then pm me cos i have just finished this conversion in my mk1

4. GTI

GTI Forum Member

I have the 6A filter fitted to mine. No problem whatsoever!!

5. altern8 Forum Junkie

ok heres some pics of my engine

pics link

audi
    vw

It will be going into my mk1 but i got a complete 16v 1.8 KR and this 2L 6a and a ported and polished head.

Im going to put the ported head on and recon anything else that needs doing might get it lighten and balanced and a fly wheel too.

Which clutch plate did you use?

6. altern8 Forum Junkie

sorry if pics are too big

7. GTI

GTI Forum Member

like i said, use everything from the kr unless it doesn't fit, and the only things that don't fit are the oil filter housing and the crank case breather.

there are a few shortcuts you can take (like plugging the side of the top hose connector), but it will be generally bettter to strip the 6A right down and then build it back up with kr parts.

8. GTI

GTI Forum Member

i have pics of various stages of my conversion and i did almost exactly what you are about to do.

9. davidwort Forum Member

Hi guys, new to this forum as I have Corrado and usually post on the C forum, but searching some of your posts I think you may be able to help me out.
    I had a KR block bored out by TSR and due to a recent piston problem I'm looking for a new block, my dad has a brand new 6a block he was going to put in his old 1800 passat (until he crashed it) and it could be a life saver.
    It looks like it will go into the Corrado but the oil filter bracket (as you mention) leans the filter back to clear the audi engine mount, problem is it looks like it will foul the engine mount on my C and the rad cowling.
    Really odd thing is the angled audi bracket has the number 053 115 417A stamped on it (from ETKA it should be 053 115 405F) which should be the passat/corrado part number for what I'm assuming is the later style (with extra internal valve) vertical bracket???
    Can anyone confirm that the later style passat and Corrado 9A bracket is definitely vertical and the one I need?
    From everyones postings I've read, the 6A must go in?

thanks very much,
    David.

10. GTI

GTI Forum Member

all i did was rotate the oil cooler itself through 90 degrees (so the pipework pointed in the right direction). didn't have any trouble at all. maybe this is a difference between fitment into a mk1 and mk2???

11. davidwort Forum Member

possibly, but the angled audi mounting bracket makes the heat exchanger too far from my water pipes too, so my nice samcos would be useless :(

12. mk1. Forum Junkie

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

the oil coolers for my 6a and kr looked the same at a quick glance :)

14. davidwort Forum Member

yep, but there's a subtle difference after about 1994, in that the oil filter mounting bracket contains a valve and the blocks that match it have an extra oil galley to feed it, this shifts the left upper mounting point to a new position and also requires a different breather unit, you don't really notice it until you put the blocks or brackets side by side, still most 4cyl engines have the right bits so I should be able to find a second hand one easily enough, just never anticipated it that was all.

cheers,
    David.

15. P_J_A_Y New Member

so just to clarify do the filter mounting brackets off the 9A and ABF fit a 6a and sort the problem of the filter tilting?

16. jaswan Forum Member

i got the oil filter housing for my 6a from a seat tdi and blocked off the oil feed that would go to the turbo, look round in some scrappys i think some 8v ones will fit. u just need to find 1 with the top stud hole off centre.

hope this helps some people out

Jason

17. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

oil cooler for 6A/ACE audi block into KR

right. ive managed to get up the scrappy.
    there wasn't any with the oil cooler on them,
    so i found a mk3 golf and took the mounting off that holds the oil filter and removed the screw in pipe
    replacing it with the longer one from my old mounting bracket to facilitate the fitting of oil cooler and filter

18. altern8 Forum Junkie

blimey I still got that engine in the same place in the same state hehe 4 years ago now