2L 8v Mk2 mpg

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JamesB, Oct 30, 2005.

1. JamesB Forum Member

Those of you who have done this conversion what MPG do you get? (Genuine tank to tank not MFA reading)

I'm running a mk3 2L block with a mk2 big valve head and a 268 degree camshaft. On average I am getting a genuine 26mpg which is half town driving and half A road driving and not leaning on it really heavily. Just thought that this figure seemed a little low and wanted to see what you other guys get?

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

I used to get about 250miles a tank with my (very similar) setup...

You really need to address the fuelling issue as i remember you saying it was leaning off a bit at the top.

Go for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator & get the RR to up the pressure til it fuels properly at the top end. they can then tweak the spring pressure in the AFM & set your idle CO% properly....

Ultimately its making nearly 30odd BHP more than standard though, so it will be more thirsty ;)

3. VR6Will Forum Member

I use to get just over 200miles out of a tank with my 2l 8v, [:$]

on a motorway i could see 250-300 miles,

that was on my x-flow setup with throttle bodies though :)

4. Unknown Forum Junkie

loads, 35-37 average! (MFA said 47 though :lol:)

5. JamesB Forum Member

Yeah I did expect it to be more thirsty, just not quite this much! If its worked out on a tank basis, I am getting about 270ish to a tank.

You're correct, I was told by the chaps at my local RR that it was running a little lean top end. I lack fueling knowledge, can you explain to me where I get an adjustable fuel pressume regulator from?

I will be getting a longer duration cam soon. After fitting this I'll go on a road trip to stealth I think and get it setup properly. I hear the chaps there are considerably better than the monkies who 'setup' my car initially. Is it worth me getting a vernier too?

Despite the fact you have captin thirsty throttle bodies I am still getting mpg figures similar to yours!

I only just got this with my standard 1.8 8v! Could but dream of this figure!

If taken to Stealth, I presume the'll setup the fueling correctly, and adjust the cam and ingition timing for a good comprimise between fuel efficiency and performance?
    Edited by: JamesB

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

James,

You need a Power Boost Valve...

clicky

This will up the fuelling at the top end when set correctly. Very simply, more pressure in the fuel rail will allow more fuel through the injector for a given duration...

Lower down it may ,conversely, go a bit rich, but this is something Vince @ Stealth can sort by tweaking the spring tension in the AFM & resetting idle CO% etc etc..

Cam wise, try a TSR203.(282deg duration, 11.6mm lift) I had one & it was my favourite (had LOTS of cams in my 2L 8v) Get a Vernier too & have the cam timing properly set up as well..

7. JamesB Forum Member

Cheers for that Chris. All very good to know.

Regarding the cam, I'm currently running a 268 which I know is a bit mild. I was perhaps going to go for a Schrick 276. How did the 282 idle? I do mostly A road driving so I dont want anything where I have to rev the pooe out of it to get it on the boil either.

8. chrismc Forum Junkie

The Schrick 276 & TSR203 both have a "burbley" idle, but felt like they came on cam straight away... :)

I personally liked a lumpyish idle, gave the car some purpose, but didnt affect town driving at all.. ;)

The 203 just seemed to have slightly more top end power IMO....(was this cam that gave me 155BHP/152.8lbs/ft @ Stealth)