EDIS in a mk2

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Fenn, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Fenn Forum Member

i'm going to us this system with megajolt in my driver and need to pick somebodys brain about the wiring in a vw.

basically what i need to know, is if can use the coil wires to power/ground the unit and what wire is the rev counter wire?

i had a look at the coil and there are, what looks like 2 ground wires, one red and one green. is the green one the rev counter wire?

thanks in advance for info.
    Edited by: kenn

2. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Yes you can use the coil +ve to power the unit but you'll need to use a different earth, the coil -ve isn't a constant earth. As for colours coil +ve (12v) is black, coil -ve (not earth) is a fairly chunky green or brown (can't remember which sorry [:$] ) and the other one on the coil -ve will be rev counter. The wiring diagram in the Haynes manual shows this and is probably more reliable than my memory :lol:

The next problem is that the rev counter won't actually work with the EDIS unit. You could attach the rev counter wire to one of the EDIS coil triggers, but then it would run at half speed. The EDIS unit has a clean tach out (CTO) pin but this outputs a sqaure wave 12v signal, and the rev counter is triggered off much higher voltage spikes from coil -ve so the rev counter probably won't pick it up. If you have a search on msefi.com you should be able to find a couple of solutions for this problem though...

3. Fenn Forum Member

thanks for that.

there are 4 wires. 2 black, 1 green and 1 red (don't think i made that clear)

had a quick look at the haynes but am new to wiring diagrams. i will have a closer look tomorrow.

There is some info at the bottom of this page http://picasso.org/mjlj/?q=node/606 about the rev counter but like i said it's all a bit new to me so is taking a while to sink in.

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

For the work you may as well go full MS (unless you`re sticking with carbs), fuel control is as important as ignition. You can run sparks first and upgrade to efi later on.

5. Fenn Forum Member

The forums working then!

i'v already ordered the MJLJ unit and im sticking with my single 45 for a while. it works out cheaper to set up MJLJ than get a new/custom dizzy (having major pinking problems with my dizzy, i'm having to run 0 deg at idle to stop it) IF i go F/I at a later date then im half way there (well almost)

while we're on the subject of EDIS, do's any one know a good way of shrinking my trigger wheel on to my preped crank pully.

as far as i see it you heat the trigger wheel up (whats the best way?) and press it on the pully but how much smaller do you make the trigger wheel 1-2mm?

hear's a few pic's
    [​IMG]

6. Fenn Forum Member

sorted the trigger wheel.

the red wire on the coil -ve must be the rev counter.

do's anyone know why there are 2 black wires going to + on the coil and only one is live?

7. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

other one probably supplies the TCI switch with power

8. Fenn Forum Member

TCI?

9. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

TCI switch/Ignition amplifier/Bosch ignition module/telefunken thing it's all the same unit just different names depending where you read [:s]

The little black 7-pin box in the scuttle tray :thumbup:

10. Fenn Forum Member

Thanks