Cam to cam timing 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by retro_lowrider, Mar 1, 2006.

1. retro_lowrider Forum Member

Right simple question, when the two dots on the cam pulleys are facing each other in line with the side of the head...

where should the 1st set of lobes on the cams be pointing? i thourght id put the gears on rite (kent cams) but the exhaust is facing in at around 45degrees, and the inlet is kinda facing it but its almost flat?

ive got a feeling they should both be facing each other at exactly the same angle?

has anyone got any pictures with their head off at TDC??

many thanks in advance!

james

2. retro_lowrider Forum Member

just to make my self clear, the first set of lobes being the cam belt side...

3. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Not totally sure what you mean about the angles, but if you're talking about No. 1 cylinder, then at TDC on the compression stroke (where it should be when you're timing it), then both valves will be fully closed - so neither of the cam lobes will be pushing a tappet down, they'll both be on the "circular" base part of the lobe.

4. retro_lowrider Forum Member

i mean the tips of the lobes for cylinder one on the inlet and exhaust cams are facing each other at a 45 degree angle, so if you looked sideways on it they form a roof shape ( ^ )

basicly what you said but the tappets can both be fully closed without the cams being on exactly the same point?

sorry im not making this clear am i?

if someone has a pic of the right timing at TDC then ill no if im right or wrong!

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

When the dots are on the flat surface of the head face (in line with the gasket face, not above it) the lobes on the two cam lobes nearest the timing belt end should be pointing towards each other / \ , the studs on the nearest cam bearing caps should be in line with the pointed part of the lobe.

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

Yes....

The lobes on the No.1 cylinder will be facing each other at a 45 deg angle...../ \

If you put a flat edge onto the lobes (such as a steel rule) facing fore/aft then this should sit parallel to the cylinder head ;)

7. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Just tried this now. When the dots are parallel, put a level on the lobes. They should be near level, not pefect but near as.
    If you measure under the level to the flat of the head you should have a reading of 22.5mm - 23mm.

8. GVK

I was going to take a pic of the head I've got at work with t set at TDC on No1, but I forgot to take my camera :lol:

9. nickvw Forum Member

I have a pic of when I did the KR Ex cam. Not a very good pic mind :lol:

As you can see though, we hadn't put the belt on at that point. Think I had only just finished torquing the head bolts.

[​IMG]
    Edited by: nickvw

10. GVK

A bit late, but someone might find it useful, some pics of a VW 16v head set at TDC with correct inter-cam timing.

Note notch at 12 o clock on the exhaust cam belt drive pulley and the circular dots on the chainwheels facing each other LEVEL with the rocker cover gasket face.

Also note the imaginary line from 'point' of the cam lobes passing through the centre of the cam bearing studs on no1 cylinder ( cam belt end )

(Helpful for Schrick cams with no dots on the chainwheels)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited by: GVK

11. GVK

Well I thought it might be helpful anyway. [:^(]

12. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

I think it's helpful gary :clap: ;) :lol:

13. GVK

Hurrah!! :lol:

14. VR6Will Forum Member

Top stuff Gary! exactly what im after, need to check i have set timing right on my sisters 2l 16v not running that great at the mo!

15. MUSH Forum Member

I think its spot on mate, i chewed on for ages to get it right and eventually got it right, i had that celebration pint, it tasted nice.:lol:

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

celebration pints are the greatest.

17. MUSH Forum Member

definately better than the spanner throwin in the huff cos it wont work drink yourself into oblivion pints!!!

And ive had many of them!!!![:^(] ;)

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

god youre so correct. ive had days where ive said "if this goes right ill have a nice pint"... and if it goes wrong youre determined to drink yourself silly.

when i was out sorting out my subframe and wishbones in the snow, i was drinking at 1pm just to keep me sane lol

Gary... how much power did your old 16v recover when the intercam timing was corrected?

19. IanCarvell Forum Member

When No1 is at TDC on the firing stroke, No.4 should be on overlap, so exhaust just closing, intake just opened.

20. bullit Forum Member

there is a TDC mark on the inside of a standard exhust 16v pully what lines up with the top of the head, you get that one right, will show referance to how the chain pully for the inlet should be, to face to the exhust to inlet TDC zeros,(0) or nicks (I), whatever type your cams have,