6A rods same as KR?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by GVK, Mar 9, 2006.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Need to know if KR and 6A 144mm rods will interchange.

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Yup, they are :p
    Both 144mm in length. 1 might have the lube hole up the centre where as the other might have the lube hole on the top of the small end. Either wat there's no problem changing them about.
    I even think that Paul H is running a mix and macth set in his old engine :lol:

3. Dub Nutta Forum Member

All short block 2L engines have the rods with an internal oilway to lubricate the small end bush.

I wouldn't recomend miss matching that as the weight of the rods must be significantly different. The rods with an internal oilway will also have a larger cross sectional area so in theory a greater tensile strength.

The best std rods I have found are from a AGU 1.8T, they are 144mm long, 20mm small end bush and an internal oilway. However they seem to have a cleaner forging finish and the ballancing pad on the bottom of the big end cap is different making the rods considerably lighter.

I've fitted mine with some ARP bolts and had some machineing done on them and will be running a rev limit arround 7600-7800

4. TrackCab16v Forum Member

hi gary , whilst raceing a friends g60 , i had a big end fail, totaly uckin a rod and crank, like the obove have said, they are dimentually the same, 6a rod has a oil way through the centre , kr is solid, annd oilway is at the top of rod, any way i fitted the four kr rods , but found one to be binding on the bearing , i then salvaged one of the 6a rods , fitted, no binding , luvely, but then found them to different weights, the kr rod being lighter, i then ground the 6a rod to the same weight, fitted it all together, the result was , wait for it ,[:D]:lol:,brilliant , the engine was even more responsive than before , not long , after i had it dynoed at tsr on a cold crispy morning and it atchieved 170 bhp atw, 25 k later ,and still useing every day , at the time it was gether put it together with wot i had ,or have no car. paul

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You were lucky then Paul :)

Question was more to do with ordering the rods from the states as they list a KR rod but none for 9A/6A :)
    Edited by: GVK

6. mk1. Forum Junkie

what about audi s2 rods? I think there the same size and plenty strong enough,usually see them cheap on ebay :)

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

good idea :)

8. Dub Nutta Forum Member

Think the S2 rods are just the same as the 9A/6A ones,

Rember the power of the S2 is spread over 5 cylinders so they aren't even as highly streses as the rods in a BAM engine.