Mk1 Oil light problem - panel swap

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mk1 driver, Apr 2, 2006.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Mk1 Oil light problem - panel swap - SOLVED

I decided to change my 1505 (1.1-1.3 4 speed?) speedo to the 1540 (1.5-1.8 5 speed) unit to see if it would cure the weird speedo readings, I'm still yet to see if it has helped but I think it will as it's the only thing I haven't changed. (instrument panel is non-MFA, looks identical to the Driver panel)

Anyway, I noticed that I couldn't swap the speedo gauges over as the printed circuit boards are different in a few places. So I've had to fit the whole of the other unit.

With the 1505, when I turned the key the battery light would be on, the water temp led flashes for a couple of seconds and the oil light constantly flashes until the engine started and then went out. On the unit with the 1540 speedo, the battery and water leds do the same but the oil light doesn't come on, when the engine is started, the led lights up and stays on.

At first I thought it could be the low oil pressure sender I used from my 1.3 engine not being right for the instrument panel, so I screwed the sender which originally came with the engine back in which made no difference.

Is it a problem with the PCB? Anything in particular/obvious?

I dont have a clue what I would have to do with it. [:s]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  2. scottmk1 Forum Member

My dash oil light is doing exactly the same thing, the only thing i was thinking of is it might be because its a gti engine and dash but with a 1.1 loom connecting it all.

3. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

That does sound very feasible Scott!

There must be some more 1.1/1.3 > 1500cc+ owners about here somewhere which have come across this... at least I'm not the only one...

4. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

same with mine,

was a campaign, now a 16v on carbs, its does what it wants, pressure seems fine though!???

tim

5. alanbe2 Paid Member Paid Member

Have you still got an earth wire on the rocker cover? It's the one that earth's the console via the engine.

Al

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

On a small engined car (1100/1300) I've changed a basic dash over to non-MFA rev counter dash before. I had to use the 1100/1300 pcb with the rev counter clocks to get it to work properly.

I don't recall adding any additional wires - it all just hooked up fine.

7. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

All the wires have gone back as they were on the 1300, it's now a KR 16v, the 1300 clocks worked fine apart from the speedo not reading correctly.

On the 1300 PCB I noticed these little connectors going into the back of the 1505 speedo:
    [​IMG]
    ... not sure what they're for? but by the looks of it, both of the lines from the back of the oil oil led go up to that corner with that group of ends and one of the lines goes to that component with the three legs sticking out.

They dont appear on this 1.5+ non GTI panel:
    [​IMG]

It's just come to me, can I remove the speedo unit, remove the two screws holding the backplate on and swap the actual part of the speedo across to the 1300 backplate?

8. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Problem solved. :)

On the 1.1/1.3 PCB shown above with the marked red outline, this connects into the back of the speedo cover.

Inside this cover is where part of the oil pressure LED gets it's signal from:
    [​IMG]

Back covers (top: 1.1/1.3, bottom: 1.5+ non GTI) note the pin connection at the upper part on the top cover:
    [​IMG]

Internal difference:
    [​IMG]

So as you can see, if you're using a 1.1/1.3 PCB with that connector at the top of the speedo (as per outlined in a picture a couple of posts above) and you need to change the speedo from the 1505 type to a 1540 for use with a 5 speed gearbox, then all you have to change is the speedo unit itself and put this into the 1.1/1.3 speedo cover.

Hope that doesn't sound too confusing. [:s]