General cutting out

Discussion in 'Engines' started by doublei, Apr 11, 2006.

1. doublei New Member

Has any one else had this problem with there mk3, i have heard it is a common fault, but one i would like to get read of. When I am drivin on either a motor way on in town some times the engine can just cut out, the rev counter drops and the oil light flashes. If i change gear the engine stops. If i apply my foot on the accelerator then the car can bunny hop and either starts drivin fine again or just cuts out.

The strange thing is this occurs every so many hundred miles. This problem is making me serious dislike my golf. But then it starts working again and im in love again. So if any one has any ideas it would be most hopeful.

2. G-Man Forum Junkie

Have you got any oil in your air filter?

Could check all the breather pipes and connectors to make sure they aren't blocked.

3. doublei New Member

i put the car into to a mechanics, they had it 2 days and couldnt find out what the problem is. The air filter is clean, they mention that there might be a hair line gap under the injector, but checking with you guys to see if you agree.

4. Destroyer Forum Member

Hi there,

I had this problem with my golf and it turned out to be a faulty petrol pump, I had it in the dealer for 3 days and none of them found the problem, they wouldn't accept at first it could be the petro pump causing the fault though it turned out it was.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  5. paddy2bsure Forum Member

Isn't there an inherent problem with the ECU relay on Mk3's... can't remember which relay number it is, but it's about an 8 fix for a replacement. Diagnosed & fixed my neighbour's 96 GTI 8v - but only after it had been back to the garage twice for parts it didn't need.

6. EVS

Evs Forum Member

Just hopefully cured my mates Mk3 GTI which had exactly the same problem. Fitted a new ECU control relay, about a tenner from VW, and its been ok since Sunday.

7. paddy2bsure Forum Member

It will continue to be okay too - guaranteed. This fault is soooooo common it's unreal.

8. trulskaare New Member

I'm having the same problem with my 8v Gti. I just changed the lambda sensor, oil, oil and air filter, and spark plugs. Helped, but I can still sense it hasn't fully recovered. Anybody have an idea what part number it is I need to get from the vw garage? Would they know if I go there? Seems to be a very commom problem this.

9. trulskaare New Member

I called vw today. For my AGG engine, the part I need is part no 7M0951253A. This costs 11 pound something inc vat. Hope this helps.

10. trulskaare New Member

Sorry, but that is the wrong relay. Just fitted the correct one today. 9.30 exc vat. It's the third one from the left. White with 30 written on it. Part no 165 906 381. Good luck!

11. andyj Forum Member

I think you guys have just solved the exact same problem I've been having with my SEAT Cordoba !!!

Have been down to my local VW Dealer and bought the relay and fitted it. Seems to have made the idle alot smoother. Only time will tell if it's solved the cutting out issue !!!

Cheers !!

Andy