Megasquirt - Laptop requirements

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by gtijon, Apr 20, 2006.

1. gtijon Forum Member

What sort of laptop's required to run the megasquirt software? Know someone getting rid of an old one (P266) and wondering if it's up to it.

2. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

yeah, doesnt require a great deal of processing power iirc. An older one is better tbh, need the serial port which dont come on newer lappies

3. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

yeah, any old piece of crap will run megatune no worries. I don't know if it will run on windows 3.11 but anything after win95 is ok. It is useable on a screen resolution of 640x480, but looks a lot better at 800x600 :)

4. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

I will get around to hooking mine up one day! Just got to find the to order that wideband controller

5. azc-uk Forum Member

Oh by the way, my laptop doesn't have a serial port (too new), an ebay search for "pcmcia serial" brought up some guy selling them from Hong Kong. I bought one branded as "cliptec" for something like 9.99 (these things are usually 50 in the UK), and it works fantastically.

Stay away from the USB to serial converters, in my opinion they are finnicky. I have owned one before (The keyspan one shown in the megasquirt docs) and tried to use it to program routers, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

This cliptec one I have has worked with EVERYTHING I have tried it with - routers, megasquirt, wideband lambda controller etc.

Ajoy.

6. steve r

steve r Forum Member

is this you one you use? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCMCIA-to-RS232-Serial-DB9-Cable-Adapter-PC-Mac-GPS-L11_W0QQitemZ6872721510QQcategoryZ96913QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have to put my laptop into a docking station to get a serial port, it a real pain as it makes the laptop a lot bigger and i has popped out of the dock while driving a few times causing me to loose my datalog and stop charging the laptop. [:x]

Don't know much about PC's, there is a slot about 5.5cm wide and 8cm deep on the side of my laptop, i take it the card slides in there, load the software and i'm good to go?

7. azc-uk Forum Member

Aye that be the one. And yes, your problem can be a bit of a bugger to be honest.

It comes with a cd with the driver on it, and in Device Manager, you can go in and set which COM port you want it to emulate, as well as all sorts of other features (you don't need to mess with them to get it to work).

Works very very well imho! And also cheaper than the Keyspan USB to Serial (the one that isn't really that great imho). I paid something like 35+vat for the keyspan, and that was trade price!

8. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Ordered one :)

cheers :thumbup:

9. azc-uk Forum Member

Happy mapping!

By the way, what engine have u megasquirted? I have built the MS to go on a mk2 16v, but my mate who is a guru is supposed to fit it all up for me. If you have a 16v I would be interested to see what inlet manifold you used!

10. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  11. azc-uk Forum Member

Wow!!!! That is a very neat solution with that fuel rail. Can I ask a few more questions about it and your conversion please?

1. Did you buy it straight off their USA website?
    2. Is there anything that needs to be taken into consideration before I purchase it? Did you order it with the FPR adaptor option?
    3. Which fuel pressure regulator are you running it with?
    4. Which Throttle Body are you running?
    5. Who bent up that bit of metal tubing from your air filter to tb for you?

Thanks!
    Ajoy.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  12. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I got mine direct from BBM with the FPR option. running G60 green injectors and a std G60 FPR.

You might want to try http://www.gwerks.co.uk/ as they are now the UK dealer.

the 180 fitting on the end came from http://www.thinkauto.com/ along with the braided fuel line.

Throttle body is from an Audi 7A engine, ebay bargain @ 16 :) A passat 16v auto will also fit onto the KR 16v manifold but is hard to find.

Alu pipe also came from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Aluminium-Pipe-45-degree-150-150mm_W0QQitemZ8041011519QQcategoryZ36680QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem also got a reducer to drop it down in size to connect to the throttle body rubber.

only problem with the fuel rail was bonnet clearance due to the extra height of the ABF engine so a section was removed from the bonnet:

[​IMG]

13. azc-uk Forum Member

Wow that's brilliant. I have emailed the relevant people to ask how much the parts are going to be. How long are those braided lines, and what fittings are on the ends please? Also do you have a Think Auto part number for that 180 degree bend please?

Thanks!
    Ajoy.

14. steve r

steve r Forum Member

don't have a p/n for the 180 as i took my fuel rail to think and they matched all the parts to suit. Will measure the pipes when next time i'm with the car, think also do an adaptor so the new pipe screws straight into the original VW pipe.

15. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Are you fairly local to them then Steve?

16. steve r

steve r Forum Member

i work at heathrow so it's not too far to pay them a visit after work