Megasquirt & Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by bens_cab, Apr 22, 2006.

1. bens_cab Forum Junkie

Hi guys

just finishing my 20vt conversion into a mk1 gti cab come across a bit of a snag

on the old coil setup there was a black wire and a red-black wire these are currently bundled in the car not in use but i have no fuel pump working the relay is good so what do i need to do with these wires to get the fuel pump to run the black wire is 12v switched the red-black im guessing is an earth i sure one of these wires these needs earthing to fire the fuel pump??

hopefully one of you lovely people can help;) ;)

2. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Ben, the 2 wires on the coil are not connected to the fuel system. Generally one wire goes to the ignition switch and the other to the coil (or TCI on injection cars). If your car was a carb or mechanical ingection model you will need to wire in a new relay. By the sound of it you have already got this far so by following the external wiring diagram on the megasquirt site you should see how the fuel pump relay is connected. I'm only really familiar with the digifant system which was a piece if cake to convert to Msq as all the wiring is already there. How close are you to finishing? The Msq will need to be operational to work the relay.

3. bens_cab Forum Junkie

the msq is in just got the tps to sort and play around with the vr sensor wiring. does it matter what kind of relay as ii hasve afew audi a3 ones also would the black wire not be better used powering my coilpacks ive kinds done most of the conversion on my own no one seemed to want to help so the wiring diagram looked very vague to me ive had the msq powered up and the engine spining over on the key but no vr signal or rpm just need to sort that out and the relay

any advice would be great no one mentioned the fact that my fuel pump would be dead lol

4. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

It depends which fuel pump relay you use. The ones from carb and k-jet cars take their 'on' signal from the coil negative, whereas later ones just use a normal switched ground so can be connected to the MS FPR output.

Don't know what colours the puel pump relay signal wire will be on a mk1, but try tracing the red/black one back to see where it goes, it could well be that :)

5. bertelli_1 Forum Member

The problem with Msq is that it's full of options and everybody does it a different way, I haven't used coil packs or a VR sensor so can't help you with that. The good thing is that someone out there will have done something similar before. Its worth posting on the msefi forums, there are a lot of people on there cleverer than me or you. Don't give up with it and remember when you get it done people will be queing up to pat you on the back (and I'll be after some 20v tips!) Ps where are you based Ben?

6. bens_cab Forum Junkie

based i n west sussex and yes martyn it was a k-jet system before so say if i connect the 12v coil feed to db28 via the injectors and the red-black feed which im certain is not live to the msq at db37 will the pump run is it worth just trying it to see i have tested the wires and the black is defo 12v switched but red-black had no voltage dont want to burn anything out

then all i need to do is test my vr sensor wires to see whats what

7. bens_cab Forum Junkie

right been investigating

red-black goes to relay number 1 position 1then back out off position 1 to a big white multi plug on the back of the fuse box

and then there was another red-black wire going to a single white connector housed next to a green white both going into a big red-black wire also the green white is a wire i have bundled with the rest of the old loom

hope this makes sense

8. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

If you're still using the K-Jet fuel pump relay then leave the red/black wire on coil negative, the fuel pump won't run if you connect it to the MS fuel pump relay output.

I'd be a bit wary of putting the injectors and MS all on the coil +12v feed, that's a fair amount of extra load to be putting through that wire (particularly if you happen to have low impedance injectors), and it's probably one of the noisiest places to be feeding MS from as well. If you can the best thing is to wire in a new relay for MS and the injectors as it shows in the MS wiring diagram.

9. shane d Forum Member

Hi Ben/Guys. I am wondering did you mix and match the wiring looms from the mk1 and the 20vt or did you purchase an after market loom???

10. bens_cab Forum Junkie

looms

the loom was easy just got rid of what i didnt need which was alot then run what i needed to the ecu and sensors cut most of the gti loom out

and the best bit is it runs it rubs it runs had to go wasted spark until bill can get to the car to sort out the vb921s

just need to set it upnow which im struggling with all the different areas plus i aint got a timing light which is going to be a problem

but it runs on an ecu that cost 250 bargain they can keep there 900 emerald

11. shane d Forum Member

Hi Guys...
    Where did you get the ECU??? Will the ECU from the 1.8T donor car do the job???

12. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

13. shane d Forum Member

Thanks for that info martyn.. Very interesting. Do you know who is the best supplier from the list to purchase from. Do you know which package is best suited to 1.8T with Throttle cable. Very interested in this Megasquirt but don't know much about it. Is it difficult to install??? Thanks

14. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Lots and lots of reading required to get installed and running, but that's (mostly) why it's so much cheaper than other options, the emphasis is very much on the Y of DIY. It's not actually that difficult though when you get down to it, as long as you work through it sensibly and take it small steps at a time. For me the hardest part was getting straight in my head all the little bits I needed to source to do the install. There's an FAQ in the engines FAQ section written by a handsome genius, there are also several threads over on VWVortex about it :)

I bought my kit from Glens Garage, very well packaged and arranged, i'd recommend his kits to anyone. That was back when he was pretty much the only supplier, and so had a 3 month backlog. These days you have more choice, and tbh they're all good. If you want to buy a kit from a UK supplier instead of the US then I'd recommend looking up Bill Shurvinton :thumbup:

15. bens_cab Forum Junkie

had a monet

[:$] well the story so far is that it was runnign good guns was setting it up like you do the disater
    my wiring has come back to haunt me

2x vbp21s in the ecu fried like crispy bacon due to my wiring the ecu the wrong way and its all down to my fuel pump relay

the only good thing is that bill shurvinton was going to replace these at some point anyway as they were man enough to do coil on plug just a bit early that he thought

so while hes got the ecu im going to go balls out bills supplying me with a wideband sensor so i can get it tuned up without to much hassle and were going to try and get ms to control the N75boost valve

rignt anyone interested in earning some pocket money i need a seperate fuel pump relay putting in my car one that will come on for 2 seconds then go off until cranking starts this is a must plus the following by the way money isnt an issue you tell me how much i pay;)

rev counter
    oil light
    temp gauge

mfa is going to get binned

ANYONE

16. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Fuel pump relay is a piece of wee just use a normal relay (about 2), MS takes care of the priming pulse for you. The MS wiring diagram shows how you need to wire it up :)

Are you sure it was the FPR that let the smoke out of the VB921's? Unless you've really got your wires the wrong way round the two should be fairly separate...

17. bens_cab Forum Junkie

hmm wiring not my strong point

well wiring never was my strong point and cutting corners allways bites your **** eventually

well my fuel pump relay wasnt getting the power it needed cos all the original loom was chopped out including the old coil wires[:$] [:$] [:$]

so in a moment of devine inspiration i um put a fused flick switch in to control the pump (not my brighteset idea) but hey im a man i admit to my mistakes

anyway i think i used a 12v switched feed to the injectors via the ecu which was ok and a swiched 12v to the coils which is the one that should have gone through the relay :clap:

i do feel like a complete **** and completely understand now that wiring an ecu needs great care and attention if only i wasnt so keen to get the thing running

so the moral of the story is to allways listen to your elders[:D] [:D]

im smiling about it now but was not impressed at the time

so i guess my question is this

yellow red to the fuel pump
    black 12v switched feed
    feed to the coilpacks

what other wires do i need to get this right

18. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

We've all done it, I had a big jet of petrol spraying out of the bay when I first tried to start mine because i'd forgotten to tighten up one of the fuel lines :o :o :lol:

Don't know about the wire colours for your car though sorry [:$]

19. bens_cab Forum Junkie

fuel pump

So is there a way i can control the fuel pump through the megasquirt so if i turn my ignition on the pump doesnt get power till i crank

thats the problem im having is how to wire up a relay i have the fuel pump 12v and i have a 12v switched feed i guessing i earht the realy somewhere then wire a signal feed from the ecu does that sound right

i keep looking at the ms wiring diagram but it just doesnt make sense to me :lol: :lol:

20. bens_cab Forum Junkie

progress report

Ok guy how we all doing not go the ecu back yet as it was toast so taking a bit longer to sort so while thats away want to sort out a few sensor issues

temp sender is the 20 one wired to the ecu and dash my dash gauge goes very high and flashes any ideas???

oil light wires which one does the light and which one is the pressure??? got blue/black and a yellow i think

and last but not least rev counter it would have run of the original coil which no longer exists so where do i take it to now i have 4 coilpacks

still havnt done the fuel pump relay not sure where to start with that all i know so far is that i have a 12v swiched feed an earth and a feed to the pump so the wire im missing could be related to the tach signal(rev counter)

hmm wiring dont you love it:lol: :lol: :lol: