2L 8v Big Valve Head is go!!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by chrismc, Nov 2, 2003.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

:clap: [:D]

Got the car finished off yesterday & running....

Started first time too, & apart from tapping its head off for 10 minutes its fine!! :p

Need to have a play with cam timing but its definitely a further step forward from the standard valve sizes. Its a wee bit flat low down but im sure il find a decent compromise!

It revs very quickly in the low gears & pulls similarly to previous up to 3500rpm, but then the note changes to something very 16v esque & off it goes [:D]

The only slight prob im having is the idle is pulsing a couple of times when coming down from 2000rpm+. Im guessing the lightened flywheel is allowing the revs to drop too quickly & the ISV is over compensating. Will have a play & see what happens...

Surprisingly the idle is hardly any more lumpy with the 203 cam than the 202...

Not sure on the difference in power. Will get it set up & then see what I come out with! Feels good though :thumbup:

2. VR6Will Forum Member

Chris, what was the deal with part x'ing your 202 cam for the 203 cam, did you have to pay much extra? let us know what sort of power figures you get once rolling roaded, i'll be very interested to see!! :thumbup:

Would you recommend gettin the flywheel done aswell? do you know how much they took off? my mates has just had is done on his nova gsi, they have taken so much off, just hope it doesnt brake!

3. Rahul Forum Junkie

good stuff chris

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

Still waiting for the price for the 202-203 swap. The 203 is defo not good for an 1800. Have already run into some idle issues with it on the 2L....

The flywheel was down to 4kgs, so only mildly lightened, but this is enough!!

Pleased the cab is 2 litred up Rags!! Big valve head next then [8D] [:o)]

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Less low end torque is normal for big valve heads. The air velocity is slower at lower revs due to the decrease venturi effect, thus the fuel doesn't atomise as well.
    But you gain much more when it comes "on cam" at higher revs and the air speed increases, so its worth it.

You'll just have to drive it like a valver [:D]

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

Having had a fiddle with the cam timing its ok now. Cant get over the way the engine note/induction roar hardens at 4500rpm....

Strangely, retarding the cam timing seemed to improve the bottom end, so might try going a bit further....

Likes its revs now though [8D]

7. VR6Will Forum Member

nice one chris, well worth doin then? hopefully gettin my 3a block v.soon, thats why i was wondering about the 202-203 cost, my head was originally from TSR only packA tho, would like to go BVH not sure what they'll charge me on exchange to packC, its only done 7k,

surely lightening the flywheel will not help with the idle?
    you getting it rolling roaded soon then?

8. Rahul Forum Junkie

oh it was 2litre'd up before but was running like a bag of nails!

its like a new car now!

gotta have a dual on the 1/4 mile chris as we have VERY similar specs, other than ur big valves!

9. set_au Forum Member

Chrismc, does its peak torque and power come a bit later now?

10. chrismc Forum Junkie

Id say its better mid/top end but similar low down. The loss of torque is offset by the lightened flywheel.

Peak power/torque are definitely further up the range.

Will speak to Graham at TSR about a RR. Want to be sure that all the extra airflow at the top end isnt leaning it out too much [:s] & see what difference the head/cam has made power wise!

TBH im not too bothered about out & out power, its just the way it feels livelier & freer revving thats the big bonus!!

145 @ the flywheel would be nice though!! [:D]

Then I can have a play on the 1/4m. 15.84 @ Inters this year Rags so that to beat ;)

11. Rahul Forum Junkie

thats the whole thing with the 8v engine. If i wanted out and out power to get tohigh speeds etc i would have bought a 16v.
    Torqueyness of the 8v is superb!
    Its great for town driving aswell!

oooh, i reckon my 1/4 mile will be close to that!

ps. yours is a great looking 5 door i must say!

12. Rahul Forum Junkie

13. chrismc Forum Junkie

Bring it on Rags!! :p

Cheers for the compliment on the "Estate" ;)

14. Rahul Forum Junkie

why have i quoted myself? [:^(] :o -dont remember doing that!

15. jc.. Forum Member

Chris...What did you pay for the valve work alone?

16. chrismc Forum Junkie

Pass. Im not sure mate....

The total bill, including all the bits to fit the head to the car was a little bit less than TSR/C&R charge for a Pack C/Stage 2 head.

I would say the valve work alone was probably 250-300.

Worth every penny going by the difference. So much stronger above 3000RPM [:D] ;)

17. philwalter New Member

What sized inlet and exhaust valves did you get for your head ?

18. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

thread revival!!!

35mm exhausts and 40mm inlets

19. philwalter New Member

Yeah I know !!

Cool...thats what I wanted to hear cause thats probably going to be what I'm getting. Is 40mm standard inlet size anyway on a MKII GTI head ?

20. challice Forum Member

sounds good...ive noticed a lot that people have 40mm inlets...my big valve head was from race power motorsport an the put 42mm inlets in it with 285 cam?? mine does idle around 1000rpmish but its still lumpy...awsome on the road but dosent all kick in till ruffly 2800rpm